Windows Vista To Arrive August 06

SugarCoat

Veteran
http://www.theinq.net/?article=27970

Yea theinq, however the source they are using, Business Week, is usually very credible. If theres any truth to this im sure we'll see alot more information early in 06. I could really care less about the OS but i more or less want to see if the new DX API has any effect on performance and technology (ATI/Nvidia). Hope its true.

Thats not Longhorn/Vista that was "promised"..... that will be prolly featuresless upgrade to XP....

they scrapped so many features of Longhorn that is sad to even think about it.....

silence said:
Thats not Longhorn/Vista that was "promised"..... that will be prolly featuresless upgrade to XP....

they scrapped so many features of Longhorn that is sad to even think about it.....
And many people were already moaning when the new features were hinted at, with a strong indication that backward compatibility would be unlikely for many applications. "Going forward is almost like standing still" should be their new motto. ;)

Personally, I wouldn't mind a new OS "from scratch". I think we have been poking and mucking about with the same sticks for long enough. If Microsoft was my toy to play with, I would, however, like to see what could be done to something like XP if three years after its launch was just spent re-coding it, optimizing it, and doing some non-destructive restructuring.

Oh, BTW, I have a bad feeling about Vista and Microsoft in general. It is really beginning to look to me as if they somehow managed to play themselves out of the game. (perhaps on purpose?)

Why discount the operating system before you've seen it? I wasn't too fussed about it until I saw Jim Allchin give a very interesting live-demo of it a while back. Theres more to it than the "gloss" - I saw a few very neat bits of technology poking through that I definitely want to be using.

wireframe said:
a strong indication that backward compatibility would be unlikely for many applications.
That wouldn't make sense ... Microsoft aren't that stupid that they'd break backwards compatability - they might as well give it away for free if they did that cos it aint gonna sell.

Jack

SugarCoat said:
http://www.theinq.net/?article=27970i more or less want to see if the new DX API has any effect on performance and technology (ATI/Nvidia). Hope its true.
The whole of D3D10 has been re-designed from previous ones - theres a lot of misconception as to what that means, but be assured that it means good things for performance.

The DX team have access to a huge pool of professionals to get information from, and with D3D10 they had the liberty of taking all this and actually making something of it :)

Have a watch of the PDC-2005 slides from the developer center for the latest public information.

hth
Jack

I don't know but after having tried the beta, I'm not expecting much more then a very buggy version of XP with a bunch of mostly useless features and a fancy and slow GUI.

ANova said:
I don't know but after having tried the beta, I'm not expecting much more then a very buggy version of XP with a bunch of mostly useless features and a fancy and slow GUI.

You're describing the beta basically, do you not expect any improvments at all from now till release?

Skrying said:
You're describing the beta basically, do you not expect any improvments at all from now till release?
Well none of the new features were present at all in the beta so yeah I expect them to make major headroom in that area but bug free is another question. And the DX based API was beyond buggy.

suryad said:
I will wait for the final release before I give it a test run and see if it is worth the upgrade.
Well that is the only sensible thing to do isn't it. I honestly sit here and mimmick this smily --> :rolleyes: when I see people writing off any software based on it's beta. It's beta for a reason!

Would you choose *not* to buy a brand new car based on seeing a few reports, previews and photos of it in pre-production and testing. When they haven't even finished the final bodywork or tidied up the interior??

I think most sensible people would wait until it was reviewed in the magazines and on TV, then possibly take it for a test-drive to see what *they* thought of it.

Jack

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=27992

AN UNPATCHED vulnerability on Internet Explorer is so bad that security expert Secunia has had to add a new category of danger to its rating system.

Instead of being just critical, Secunia says that the unpatched hole is now 'extremely critical' which means that Microsoft were extremely stupid to sit on it for six months.

this software isnt in beta.... acctually, when is any M$ software out of beta anyway?:devilish:

JHoxley said:
Well that is the only sensible thing to do isn't it. I honestly sit here and mimmick this smily --> :rolleyes: when I see people writing off any software based on it's beta. It's beta for a reason!

Would you choose *not* to buy a brand new car based on seeing a few reports, previews and photos of it in pre-production and testing. When they haven't even finished the final bodywork or tidied up the interior??

I think most sensible people would wait until it was reviewed in the magazines and on TV, then possibly take it for a test-drive to see what *they* thought of it.

Jack

yawn.... people will see fancy GUI and go "w0000t!!!111111111....."
whole story around Longhorn/Vista is less then promising, as i said they scrapped most of new features and left only those you can see on fancy slides and go ^

i dont mind if they break backward compatibility, that would prolly only help more people move to Linux...

I agree with silence: If it looks impressive, it'll sell, even if it's very buggy and unsafe. It's new and looks good, that's all most people know or care about.

I see some people running the beta as their primary OS!
icon_rolleyes.gif

Just boggles the mind.

silence said:
yawn.... people will see fancy GUI and go "w0000t!!!111111111....."
whole story around Longhorn/Vista is less then promising, as i said they scrapped most of new features and left only those you can see on fancy slides and go ^

i dont mind if they break backward compatibility, that would prolly only help more people move to Linux...

So wait here. Wouldnt going to Linux technically break backwards compatiblity? Oh yes, it indeed would. Lets not forget that moving to Linux people would need to possibly switch IM programs, switch their internet browser etc. The simple fact that you're idea that because of a possible breck in backwards compatiblity would make people give Linux a try is really unfounded. In fact, it makes next to zero sense.

I'll be honest, Linux really would have to pull out so much from its ass to take over a large market share from MS. The average person using a computer doesnt have even a clue what Linux is. In fact, the only possible big move would be to a Mac, even then that's a rather pointless though in my view.

People like things easy for them. Windows does this. Its a nice all in one bundle for the most part. They get their media player, their IM, their internet explorer, their email, and all those little things in the Windows OS. Its just easy. Linux does not offer that yet. It does not come pre installed on any major desktop OEM that I know of either, and that is where the real money is.

Also, I think that joke that "all MS products are beta" is stupid. I mean really, do you honestly think that if Linux was a truely major player in the OS market that they would not get just as many updates to the products for potential secruity risks? Some of you build Linux up to be some holy grail of safety, the honest fact is that it is NOT. Its just more safe right now because a virus author has little reason to go after a Linux box.

Say what you may think about MS. The honest fact is that Vista will sell, it will sell good, and it will make MS a shitload of money as always. Why? Because they have the OEM's in their little back pocket, they have the general public in their back pocket, and no matter how many strides the open source and Linux movements have made, they are still very far behind in the game.

yawn.....

1) switch IM or browsers?..... go ahead use IE, thats great stuuff... good luck....
as for IMs.... google is your friend...... use it sometimes...

2) put average user in front of Vista and..lets say SuSe 10 and remove trademarks... andthey wot fucking know which is which....
all they care is that it has fancy icons to their documents and Linux+OOo can do that. simple.
if Vista breaks backward compatibility i see _MANY_ larger organisation thinking "hmmm... we can pay M$ or go Linux"..... pretty simple decision IMO

3) latest Linux distros are as user friendly as Win...... i was surprised at how easy is to install new software of upgrade one you have..... obviously you havent tried any of those....

4) when product that is on the market for years has holes as big as Moon then i think its still beta.... IE is swiss cheese with a size of galaxy...

5) i never said Vista wont sell.... but that doesnt make it good OS... again.. simple..

1.) I dont use IE, my clients dont use it either. I simply dont let them and will not support any issues they have if they do not, its that easy. But I'm not talking about my point of view nor my clients really. I'm talking about the average user out there, they still use IE. They still want to use their MSN and AIM programs. Its easy to them, its what they have known for years. Changing it will not do anything, even with a change to Vista at the end of the day its an MS product and that puts them in a comfort zone that moving to something on Linux would not allow for the most part.

2.) A larger organization does not think about moving to Vista like you try to make it, not at all. They will live on an OS for their employee's for as long as possible, untill they need to upgrade for a new feature. I dont really see Vista really having much of an effect on this for a few years after its release. You may site secruity, but then I dont known again any major company that actually cares about secruity that doesnt have a wave of secure servers to protect themselves in the first place.

3.) Actually, I have used Linux many times and many different distro's. It simply offers me nothing, its that easy. Program support and games goes a great deal towards Windows. Support is a HUGE part of ease of use, MS as a huge company can do this better.

4.) Your arguement is false. There are many reasons why IE has all these holes. Its aging, but also the fact that it gets the most attacks by far. I wouldnt be surprised if the attack ratio is almost 1000:1 really compared to an alternative browser. Till now really IE didnt have any competition, and guess what, now that they do you see those alternative browsers getting attacked too. Why? Because people are starting to use those, and hurting as much people, or the bigger company behind the product is often times all the spyware/virus/malware programming cares about.

5.) And the best product always wins? Not true at all. MS doesnt care if you think Vista is the best product, they care about money. They dont need the flat out best product to do this.

well, i heard it is dx10 debute as well. which means, although i'll go crossfire (or sli) gpuwise, i won't get the top of the line GPU's to plug in it, since im going to be replacing them within a year or so, once dx10 games hit the streets. im assuming they'll be some at least in development at release time.

Back