Guerrilla Games is doing what some devs don't and listen to their fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
PC-Engine said:
But do they ask clueless questions like "How many grenades should be made available?" :LOL:

Read the question again.The dev said he thought there were too many grenades involved in multiplayer, but he wants the peoples` opinion about it before changing it.
I can see nothing wrong with that.

macabre said:
Read the question again.The dev said he thought there were too many grenades involved in multiplayer, but he wants the peoples` opinion about it before changing it.
I can see nothing wrong with that.

Well if the developer thinks that then why don't they change it instead of asking for fan's opinion as if all fans will agree with one another. What if the fans can't agree with one another? Then what? A lottery? What about the other questions about throwing arc etc? Do artists ask how they should paint a picture from fans? Do singers ask how they should sing a song from fans?

I think that to some extent, the developer should just do what he feels, and base HIS game on that decision. If he puts lots of grenades, the gamers will play one way, if he puts few grenades, the players will have to adjust. It's the developer who makes the rules, not the other way round!!

It's as is Yu Suzuki (he's the guy who makes VF games, right?) asked VF fans "Should i make the high kick more damaging? Should i put stages like DOA??"...

That's just wrong!! He's the one who decides and the gamers are the ones who have to adjust everytime, according to the new rules! That's the whole point of playing games!

PC-Engine said:
Well if the developer thinks that then why don't they change it instead of asking for fan's opinion as if all fans will agree with one another. What if the fans can't agree with one another? Then what? A lottery? What about the other questions about throwing arc etc? Do artists ask how they should paint a picture from fans? Do singers ask how they should sing a song from fans?

oh yeah then who is gonna buy the game? the developer? you need to satisfied your target audience if you want to stay in business.

dantruon said:
oh yeah then who is gonna buy the game? the developer? you need to satisfied your target audience if you want to stay in business.

Obviously, but the developers should have enough expertise to make the rules and go "There u go bitch, now try playing like this" without fearing persecution.

Obviously he can ask suggestions on things regarding the game, but he should have enough balls to make decisions and stick to them!

Almost as if an artist like Eminem asked his fans what he should write in his next song! It shouldn't work like that, the songs just "come out"...

london-boy said:
I think that to some extent, the developer should just do what he feels, and base HIS game on that decision. If he puts lots of grenades, the gamers will play one way, if he puts few grenades, the players will have to adjust. It's the developer who makes the rules, not the other way round!!

It's as is Yu Suzuki (he's the guy who makes VF games, right?) asked VF fans "Should i make the high kick more damaging? Should i put stages like DOA??"...

That's just wrong!! He's the one who decides and the gamers are the ones who have to adjust everytime, according to the new rules! That's the whole point of playing games!

I think Yu Suzuki actually gets as much feedback as he can and calibrates the gameplay accordingly. Test locations are there for a reason, as well as dedicated message boards.

Heck, even the mighty Hideo "Snake is my creation, I can do whatever I please with him" Kojima used the MGS2 demo for feedback purposes. And the same is gonna happen with MGS3: Subsistance (test bed for MGS4 online and camera system).

The only difference here is that we got a developer openly *asking* for feedback about specific game elements.

BTW, I've been asked for feedback about Shadow of the Colossus by a guy working with Ueda upon completing the demo at E3. He even filmed me with a digital cam while I was talking. Sure he didn't ask me specific questions (like, "do you think the animation is fast enough?"), but that's not the point.

TTP said:
I think Yu Suzuki actually gets as much feedback as he can and calibrates the gameplay accordingly. Test locations are there for a reason, as well as dedicated message boards.

Heck, even the mighty Hideo "Snake is my creation, I can do whatever I please with him" Kojima used the MGS2 demo for feedback purposes. And the same is gonna happen with MGS3: Subsistance (test bed for MGS4 online and camera system).

The only difference here is that we got a developer openly *asking* for feedback about specific game elements.

BTW, I've been asked for feedback about Shadow of the Colossus by a guy working with Ueda upon completing the demo at E3. He even filmed me with a digital cam while I was talking. Sure he didn't ask me specific questions (like, "do you think the animation is fast enough?"), but that's not the point.

That's why i said "to some extent" and bolded it. :D
Getting suggestions and stuff is cool, but asking direct questions on a specific and potentially major aspect of the game shouldn't happen.

london-boy said:
Getting suggestions and stuff is cool, but asking direct questions on a specific and potentially major aspect of the game shouldn't happen.

Ah yeah. I see. ;)

Still it's just a different method (asking vs listening) for getting the same information. You may not like the method, but the purpose is the very same: try to make a better game for everyone.

PC-Engine said:
You mean game testers are responsible for all aspects of games like art direction, programming, and concept too? :LOL:
[/I][/B]
No.But if they are there to test the game and tell what they like, what they dont like, report bugs and errors so that the developers will fix them why many games fail to satisfy if the testers were satisfied with the results?Right? :LOL:

Nesh said:
No.But if they are there to test the game and tell what they like, what they dont like, report bugs and errors so that the developers will fix them why many games fail to satisfy if the testers were satisfied with the results?Right? :LOL:

That's like asking why a perfectly good game doesn't sell. Get a clue. :LOL:

dantruon said:

Life isn't that simple. What some fans like others may not. Some people didn't like the control scheme in RE0. I didn't have a problem with it. Was it a bad game? Not according to the reviews. Did it sell well? Yes.

london-boy said:
Did u see that?! PCEngine and I are agreeing.......

Ok let me edit my posts, can't have that one here!!! ;)

Yeah I'm pretty shocked myself. :LOL:

Coming from me it's considered trolling. :LOL:

Well apparently we're both trolls so that makes sense...
Only i have a much bigger.......................... rep and postcount!

london-boy said:

Is there evidence that this isn't the case? I didn't bother to read the whole exchange...

PC-Engine said:
That's like asking why a perfectly good game doesn't sell. Get a clue. :LOL:

1)These games get good reviews

2)these perfect games are usually different (mark of kri, ico).People dont give a chance to something different=Doesnt have to do with wether they liked it or not
;)

3)we are talking about games that were bad=bad reviews+were disliked=does not equal with good game that didnt sell

Sorry but your statement is completely irrelevant

Last edited by a moderator:
london-boy said:
Well apparently we're both trolls so that makes sense...
Only i have a much bigger.......................... rep and postcount!

No actually we don't see you guys agreeing 100%. More like 70%. Nothing wrong there don't worry l-b. Seriously Hideo is Directing MGS4 because the FANS wanted him to. This guy is making a whole game because the fans wanted hime to (had to repeat again for emphases). All GG is doing is asking a basic small question to a few thousand fans. They may not even impletment it in the game.

What's the problem? You guys don't think that Igakati is changing the reversal times based on his personal thoughts do you?

Back on topic....

Clearly Guerrilla Games needs this feedback. A lot of people are saying "Well what about hit game X that sucked after fans said how it should be?" Killzone isn't a hit game to be ruined. It had some cool concepts that turned a lot of people on, but stumbled pretty fatally in the execution. It's already ruined and needs fixing. It seems obvious that the developers need to be out there finding out what people didn't like about the game (other than the graphical problems, of course, since those are obvious). I mean, there's nothing wrong with asking. It's a good idea to figure out what about the gameplay people liked so you can salvage it, and what turned them off so you know to adjust it.

we are talking about games that were bad=bad reviews+were disliked=does not equal with good game that didnt sell

Sorry but your statement is completely irrelevant

How are game testers responsible for funtimentally bad games? They only work within the confines of the game which they didn't design. If you design a fugly car, it doesn't matter if it's pefect in every other way. QA doesn't have any control over the look of the car. :LOL:

mckmas8808 said:
No actually we don't see you guys agreeing 100%. More like 70%. Nothing wrong there don't worry l-b. Seriously Hideo is Directing MGS4 because the FANS wanted him to. This guy is making a whole game because the fans wanted hime to (had to repeat again for emphases). All GG is doing is asking a basic small question to a few thousand fans. They may not even impletment it in the game.

What's the problem? You guys don't think that Igakati is changing the reversal times based on his personal thoughts do you?
Please tell me that you don't ACTUALLY believe what you've written in that post....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back