Guerrilla Games is doing what some devs don't and listen to their fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate when people brag about Halo as the most wonderful game of all time..It's pathetic.

I thought this forum was for technical people but all we have here are the fan boys. Why is that. Can't someone here explain and discuss technical issues without being a ****** for once.

Why are we defending xbox 360 when it come to PS3??? Why??

PC-Engine said:
Good point, but I didn't say game testers were better. I was simply saying they are good enough when you consider there have been plenty of great games released without input from fans. Like has already been said, input from fans is a double edged sword, the key is picking what you "think" will work and ignoring what you "think" wouldn't. At the end of the day it's still guesswork and doesn't guarantee the game will be "better" just because there was input from fans. You still need a "judge".

Obviously you shouldn`t do everything the players said, obviously excellent games were released without input from players (but so were absolutely horrible ones ).
It never hurts getting their opinion and evaluating it though, I guess it aint easy looking at your own game objectively. I liked the UT2004-approach were a demo was released early and the gameplay got tweaked before the release ( also getting 1000`s of free beta-testers for free ;) ) - getting good gameplay better ( Wouldve been useless though if it were bad from the start )

fulcizombie said:
It seems ,judging by the in-game trailer of E3,that guerilla has an amasing graphics engine for killzone 2 that crushes things like the UE3 so they are off to a great start.....right???

In-game, who said that!?...

So, are Bungie too an incompetent bunch of developers who "have no clue" how to make their games, they do after all have a whole dedicated forumfor fans to give feedback on their games and how they could be made better.
By same logic, most devs "have no clue" :rolleyes:
http://www.bungie.net/Forums/topics.aspx?forumID=8

PC-Engine, your constant Sony, or anything Sony-related trolling is getting tiresome, again.

Platon said:
In-game, who said that!?...
What is the point of showing the trailer in the first place then, when the game is released it does not live up to the trailer one bit, does that make sense to you to show the trailer in the first place? This will make the developer whom try to build a reputation for themselve for many years suddenly find loosing all their hard earned integrity on the day the game launch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Deepak said:
Hi TTP, welcome back. :smile: Do you know if KZ2 still on for PS2?

Good to see GG seeking players feedback, it will give better idea about gamers' taste...they shouldn't rely on beta testers solely.

Last time I talked with my very secret informant I was told the E3 Killzone video wasn't named "Killzone 3" for a very good reason :p

Do some people have to participate even when they have nothing to say?

The people entering the thread should discuss the topic at hand, not make one color commentary after another.

That said, it seems that some people cannot contribute to the threads with nothing worth the database space occupied. That has to change. And it will.

PC-Engine said:
Asking fans about the actual mechanics just shows they don't have a clue. Don't they have game testers?

If they did their job right we would have gotten only perfect games :LOL:

TTP said:

Last time I talked with my very secret informant I was told the E3 Killzone video wasn't named "Killzone 3" for a very good reason :p
Secret informant?

SPIT OUT THE INFO!!!NOW :p

dantruon said:
What is the point of showing the trailer in the first place then, when the game is released it does not live up to the trailer one bit, does that make sense to you to show the trailer in the first place? This will make the developer whom try to build a reputation for themselve for many years suddenly find loosing all their hard earned integrity on the day the game launch.

Yes, but as far as I know noone said that it was in-game, or even in-engine, but that is was "done to spec"...

Not again, after new year (begining, once they want to counter attack XB360 and dont have to care with a good Xmas season on PS2) it should start to appear info, videos, and meybe hands on, from every game, so wait a bit more.

fulcizombie said:
Killzone2 will have amasing graphics.I mean that tailer shocked the world!!

KZ2 is a PS2 title, PS3 will get KZ3 most probably, though I prey that they don't release next KZ on PS2 and rather launch in on PS3.

PC-Engine said:
That's why you have inhouse game testers or even beta testers...

Sure, but those periods aren't nearly as long or have as much "eye-time" in them as much as release will.

3 months of beta with 10K players vs. 1 year release with 100K players. Beta will probably give you more feedback per increment of time/person but in the end it will pale in comparision to the information gathered by players after release.

PC-Engine said:
Yeah but Guerilla is asking basic stuff like how many grenades and what the throwing arc should be. Shouldn't the inhouse game testers be giving answers to these kinds of simple questions from developers?

Frankly no, I'm going to say that in-house testers (which few places have since they're expensive to keep around) shouldn't be the ones to determine how many grenades should be given.

I think that should be done by the developers using data mining (if they have it they could simply check, what % of players died to grenades, does the forum mention complaints of 'nade spam'?). Without that, I think it's fine to ask the community though for that. The grenade arc thing imo, does seems to be a bit trivial to me. Then again, maybe it was really "off"?

My company has 500+ employees and we have our own in-house testing department. Permanently assigned to us during development was the magic # of *2*. You can't trust that your testers will be of sufficient quality/quantity (much like Beta participants).

SugarCoat said:
so i guess there were no good games before company X came up with the bright idea of asking its fanbase via internet commentary then right?

I said, "getting is right is tough", not impossible.

SugarCoat said:
I find developers that try to satisfy everyone, end up screwing the majority that they had pleased. Since those people enjoyed what they had before they dont speak up and get screwed in the process. This does nothing good for the fanbase or developer other then looks great for PR.

You will get no argument from me that "too many cooks spoil the stew". GG will need to refine their vision, yes. But that said, are they asking input for everything or relatively minor details?

SugarCoat said:
Game developers read their forums quite often believe it or not. They dont need to make it open forum for ideas, that, as pointed out, shows that they lack imagination or are looking to kiss ass. This thread has followed the kissing ass route.

Yes I know that since at my company we have people just for that. In fact our CRM established a nice little process whereby he would email topical discussion to us.

SugarCoat said:
Guerrilla Games is still a sub par game developer no matter how you cut it. At least to many people. If your one of the very few people that liked some of their games, good for you. Dont forget some people liked Daikatana too.

That may be the case (I don't have Killzone - never played it. Nor do I own a PS2) but if all they've asked for is input on grenades, then I personally don't see the big deal. In other words, for games judge it by the end product, not the development cycle.

PC-Engine said:
Like has already been said, input from fans is a double edged sword, the key is picking what you "think" will work and ignoring what you "think" wouldn't. At the end of the day it's still guesswork and doesn't guarantee the game will be "better" just because there was input from fans. You still need a "judge".

And this is 110% true. It will be GG's responsibility to weed throught he chaff and find the kernels of truth.

PC-Engine, you may want to consider that Blizzard, maker of what is arguably one of the most popular games in all categories right now, uses extensive user feedback in the form of beta and pre-release test versions as well as - you guessed it - a suggestions forum on their web site.

But I guess you want to call them clueless as well. :LOL:

I think this is a good move by Guerrilla, input from the fans is very important.
BF2 would be a better experience if DICE/EA would listen to the fans more. <rant>Well, I don’t expect too much from DICE anymore, not after all the problems they have had with the patches. Having to manually copy the game files in order to patch your game? </rant>

And..
I think this part of the forum would become a nicer experience if a certain member would be prohibited from posting in any thread that is related to either Sony or the PlayStation. His contribution to this forum is - apart from the obvious trolling, NILL. The constant trolling is irritating and really brings the whole forum down.

Reactions: Ty
Platon said:
Yes, but as far as I know noone said that it was in-game, or even in-engine, but that is was "done to spec"...
Well Phil Harrison said it was real time, but i dont think that is enough to prove it in -game.

Guden Oden said:
PC-Engine, you may want to consider that Blizzard, maker of what is arguably one of the most popular games in all categories right now, uses extensive user feedback in the form of beta and pre-release test versions as well as - you guessed it - a suggestions forum on their web site.

But I guess you want to call them clueless as well.

But do they ask clueless questions like "How many grenades should be made available?" :LOL:

rabidrabbit said:
So, are Bungie too an incompetent bunch of developers who "have no clue" how to make their games, they do after all have a whole dedicated forumfor fans to give feedback on their games and how they could be made better.
By same logic, most devs "have no clue" :rolleyes:
http://www.bungie.net/Forums/topics.aspx?forumID=8

PC-Engine, your constant Sony, or anything Sony-related trolling is getting tiresome, again.

Read above.;)

Nesh said:
If they did their job right we would have gotten only perfect games :LOL:

You mean game testers are responsible for all aspects of games like art direction, programming, and concept too? :LOL:

I think this part of the forum would become a nicer experience if a certain member would be prohibited from posting in any thread that is related to either Sony or the PlayStation. His contribution to this forum is - apart from the obvious trolling, NILL. The constant trolling is irritating and really brings the whole forum down.

Did you read what the Moderator said? I think this forum would become a nicer experience without your oh so valuble personal opinions about other people. Your constant whining isn't helping your position.

The people entering the thread should discuss the topic at hand, not make one color commentary after another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back