Dont the long lines for Xbox360 prove Nintendo is wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill

Banned
I mean Nintendo basically believes the market is stagnent, or people do not desire "more of the same graphics race"

Well, dont all those long lines outside stores for Xbox 360 prove that people do in fact, want more of the same a lot?

I just goes against Nintendo's entire message (and you will hear Sony and MS parrot the same wrong things on this issue as Nintendo at times, lamenting the lack of female gamers and so on).

The videogame market growth is vastly outpacing other forms of entertainment. And has been for years and years. What's the problem??!!

The problem is, Nintendo cannot keep up with Sony and Microsoft on a technology level. They have no choice but to play down the impact and importance of graphics.

The problem is, Nintendo cannot keep up with Sony and Microsoft on a technology level. They have no choice but to play down the impact and importance of graphics.

That isn't true at all. I'm pretty sure ATI can keep up ATI and IBM can keep up with IBM. The problem is Nintendo executives making poor decisions with the direction of their company in relation to its goals.

The people in line are hardcore gamers, early adopters. They're there at every launch. Considering there is a shortage, the lines make sense. Doesn't mean people are not welcome to or do not want change. Revolution will provide that.

ninelven said:
That isn't true at all. I'm pretty sure ATI can keep up ATI and IBM can keep up with IBM. The problem is Nintendo executives making poor decisions with the direction of their company in relation to its goals.

No. Nintendo cannot afford to lose 100-150 dollars per system like Sony and Microsoft do to begin with. Just because they're using ATI and IBM, does not mean they're getting chips that are as powerful or, or even cost as much. The only way Nintendo has been keeping up is through smart and efficient chip design, as well as making cutbacks to keep the price low, such as the lack of HD support in the Revolution, and being consistantly a generation behind when it comes to storage formats.

ninelven said:

If one PC OEM uses Geforce 6200 and the other has a pair of GTX512s, does it mean that they are keeping up with each other sicne "Nvidia can keep up with Nvidia"?

Nintendo has shown that they can keep up with the competition in terms of processing power without a sweat. However they want to sell their console at a lower price so compromises need to be made. They also don't like to lose a buttload of money on hardware like MS and SONY.

Nintendo is not saying that no one wants more of the same. There is a market there who is buying for that, at least for now, and that's fine. But Nintendo sees greener pastures elsewhere. I suggest you read Reggie's speech from the last gamers' day they had, if you want a more detailed look at their thinking.

Nintendo's point of view maybe more relevant in Japan where the market has started to stagnate.

The success of the DS (contrary to many analysts and even my own predictions) shows that gamers in Japan are welcoming new ways of playing games. I think the Revolution will do well in Japan.

Whether they are proved wrong or right personally I'm glad they have decided to do something different.

Bill said:
Hmm, should I believe you Titanio?

Strong words here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3743015.stm

Nothing there says that no one wants to buy games just with prettier graphics anymore.

You can't seriously think Nintendo expects no one is interested in the "traditional" systems anymore, such that a machine like X360 would not be in demand right now. Nintendo is worried about the potential future in that, and what they see is a large untapped market.

You should read this: http://cube.ign.com/articles/665/665952p1.html (I'm not saying I agree with it all, but that should simply give you a better idea of their viewpoint).

I think, taking a more long term viewpoint, it does at least seem rather plausible that there will come a point when new hardware won't introduce the differences in graphics we're used to - we will hit a ceiling more or less - thus it might seem wise to prepare to introduce new ideas in hardware in other ways sooner rather than later. And new ideas in interface would seem most pressing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nintendo may well open up markets that aren't really tapped right now. How many people have a NES/SNES/N64 emulator with illegal ROMs? Probably a fair number of people, how many people enjoyed simpler games, probably a lot of people. Introducing a simpler system that can grow with the user (NES- Dpad + 2 buttons through to a GC controller (D Pad, 3 Shoulder, 4 face, 2 analog) allows them to create games for mums, dads and little kids as well as the hardcore crowd who just want the next Zelda game.

I know I will likely get a rev if simply for the backwards compatability, my PC and PSP both run SNES emulators, its not that the system isn't available (I have 2 SNES in my cupboard + all the games I ever played/wanted to play, I don't pirate ROMS... though sometimes I wish I did as I don't have all the games I want to play :() however its about availability and simplicity... if I want to play Lost Vikings 2 (I own 1) then I have to steal it basically to get hold of it as finding copies is hard, however if Nintendo open up the past then I will happily relive my youth and buy these old games!

Gholbine said:

The problem is not that Nintendo is unable to keep up with either Sony or Microsoft,it is that Nintendo doesn't want to keep up with them.
Nintendo has chosen another path.
Cheaper,less powerful and more developper friendly console.
Otherwises i am sure Nintendo could have designed a console more powerful in any way than the Xbox 360(more efficient,more powerful CPU-GPU combinaison and HD-DVD medium) while being cheaper.
Don't forget that contrary to MS Nintendo is a champion of efficient/cheap design and rarely rush their products.

joebloggs said:
Nintendo's point of view maybe more relevant in Japan where the market has started to stagnate.

The success of the DS (contrary to many analysts and even my own predictions) shows that gamers in Japan are welcoming new ways of playing games. I think the Revolution will do well in Japan.

Whether they are proved wrong or right personally I'm glad they have decided to do something different.

It's true the DS has succeeded far more than I ever expected.

But in the end recent sales *even in Japan* may show that japanese gamers prefer better graphics (PSP) just like the rest of the world seems to. I just dont know that in a year the outlook in Japan for DS will be so rosy.

But yeah, Japan gaming seems to be in a malaise, but it seems to be going strong as ever in U.S.

Bill said:
It's true the DS has succeeded far more than I ever expected.

But in the end recent sales *even in Japan* may show that japanese gamers prefer better graphics (PSP) just like the rest of the world seems to.

Err... Even with the recent surge in sales for the PSP (Giga pack released last week sent PSP to 60K sales for one week), the DS is still absolutely killing the PSP in Japan (for the same week, it still managed to outperform it by a small margin), and it's not going to end anytime soon (with an onslaught of blockbusters incoming, first in line being Animal Crossing).

Since Nintendogs and Brain Training came out, I don't think the PSP sold better than the DS for a single week, and the DS always or nearly always has 3 to 5 games in the Top 10 of Japan sales.

Corwin_B said:
Err... Even with the recent surge in sales for the PSP (Giga pack released last week sent PSP to 60K sales for one week), the DS is still absolutely killing the PSP in Japan (for the same week, it still managed to outperform it by a small margin), and it's not going to end anytime soon (with an onslaught of blockbusters incoming, first in line being Animal Crossing).

Since Nintendogs and Brain Training came out, I don't think the PSP sold better than the DS for a single week, and the DS always or nearly always has 3 to 5 games in the Top 10 of Japan sales.

Add to that Nintendo's free WiFi service and hotspots and you're looking at DS taking the lead for a long time. The gap between total DS and PSP numbers are widening each and every week in Japan.

This has to be the stupidest thread I've seen in a while. What does 360's launch have to do with Nintendo being wrong or right?, absolutely nothing..

Gholbine

Nintendo have enough money to make huge losses for several generations if they wanted to. But why would they want to?

Your also completely wrong when you say they save money by consistantly being a generation behind in storage formats. Not only are they not consistantly behind in storage formats but in the cases when they are it certainly isn't about saving money (its about access times and copy protection).

Geeforcer

If one PC OEM uses Geforce 6200 and the other has a pair of GTX512s, does it mean that they are keeping up with each other sicne "Nvidia can keep up with Nvidia"?

Well that's obvious yes but its also completely beside the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back