EyeToy Chat

pc999 said:
Me too as standard, it can really bring some innovations in game (see my sig).

Indeed. Assuming the EyeToy2 tech is sophisticated enough (a low price HD IP camera?), having one sold with every system means the Revolution wont be storming the Bastille alone ;)

TTP said:
Indeed. Assuming the EyeToy2 tech is sophisticated enough (a low price HD IP camera?), having one sold with every system means the Revolution wont be storming the Bastille alone ;)

Personally I expect that in both, anyway IMO it is a great feature in whatever console.

You mean a camera in both the Revolution and PS3 packages?

Revolution = very unlikely (for the good of all those families out there and their kids)

Edit: but anyway, a hypotetical Revolution camera will mostly just serve the purpose of video chat (only with friends!), since much of the movement detection is done by the remote/controller. In the PS3 case, it could be much, much more significant.

Edit 2: wow, the Edit function is pretty fast on this forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
TTP said:
Revolution = very unlikely (for the good of all those families out there and their kids)

Why???
Plus there is a lot of possibilitys for a camera (why not make a map for RTS usind a foto from a table with books etc..., it should be possible looking at augmented reality, if I am wrong please correct me).

pc999 said:
Why???
Plus there is a lot of possibilitys for a camera (why not make a map for RTS usind a foto from a table with books etc..., it should be possible looking at augmented reality, if I am wrong please correct me).

You are not wrong at all. I just don't see Nintendo giving a camera with every Revolution. It's not "necessary" for them (while it is, to some extent, for Sony IMO).

They need to keep it as simple as they can IMO.

Also, selling an online ready system with a webcam as standard may scare parents off somehow. Internet + camera = pedophilies OMG! :D

Nintendo may very well sell it separately tho.

I'd certainly hope that a camera is not something included in the base package. I'd hate to have to pay for something that I would never use.

AlphaWolf said:
I'd certainly hope that a camera is not something included in the base package. I'd hate to have to pay for something that I would never use.

No offense, just asking: are you physically impared perhaps?

AlphaWolf said:
No.

No offense, just asking: are you mentally impaired perhaps?

Nope, what about you? :)

Ok, let's quit the shit and tell us why you wouldn't be able to use the camera. Say MGS4 is released supporting the camera and the little MKII robot can read your facial expressions and comment on them accordingly (I'm obviously pulling this example out of my ass here). Why shouldn't you be able to benefit from this?

A 480 camera should very cheap today, it can add a lot and parents do/can have the control it as there is parental control so there is no fear from them IMO.

Are you sure you would nerver use it if really innovative (somethingh that we hadnt thought but after we know it should be very fun) in any console AlphaWolf?

pc999 said:
A 480 camera should very cheap today, it can add a lot and parents do/can have the control it as there is parental control so there is no fear from them IMO.

Well, we will see then :)

But dont you think Nintendo would have announced it already if that was the case?

TTP said:
Nope, what about you? :)

Ok, let's quit the shit and tell us why you wouldn't be able to use the camera. Say MGS4 is released supporting the camera and the little MKII robot can read your facial expressions and comment on them accordingly (I'm obviously taking this example out of my ass here). Why shouldn't you be able to benefit from this?

I don't want to have to sit in an exact spot with a certain degree of lighting etc. What I consider ideal playing conditions are sitting in my easy chair ~10 feet from my TV, with little to no light.

Video conferencing on a ps3 serves no advantage over the conferencing I can do with my PC if I were so inclined (my web camera is in a drawer somewhere). For taking pictures or making movies, I have a good camera, I don't need a shitty one.

It's really not worth arguing about anyway, Sony would never include one anyway. If they did it would be as a bundle, not part of the base system.

AlphaWolf said:
I don't want to have to sit in an exact spot with a certain degree of lighting etc. What I consider ideal playing conditions are sitting in my easy chair ~10 feet from my TV, with little to no light.

So true. Those are my Ideal Playing Conditions too.

But does that mean I'll never use the camera? Hardly. Who knows what's coming up? There may very well be something so cool to warrant an exception to my IPC or that works in a way that doesn't corrupt your IPC. I dont know, you don't know, but sure having a camera as part of the base system will push creativity (actually, is the only way to do it) and make that exception more probable.

The "Never say never" motto may be more approriate than...er, ever in this case.

TTP said:
So true. Those are my Ideal Playing Conditions too.

But does that mean I'll never use the camera? Hardly. Who knows what's coming up? There may very well be something so cool to warrant an exception to my IPC or that works in a way that doesn't corrupt your IPC. I dont know, you don't know, but sure having a camera as part of the base system will push creativity (actually, is the only way to do it) and make that exception more probable.

The "Never say never" motto may be more approriate than...er, ever in this case.

I think my never is quite safe for at least 1 more generation of consoles and I'd suggest much more. And I certainly don't want to pay in advance for the possibilities. Handwriting and voice recognition have been around for years and they are still barely useable, I don't think a low res camera is going to be the breakthrough must have device.

BlueTsunami said:
I thought the PS3 EyeToy2 is supposed to be a High Res HD Camera?

Compared to what? Perhaps I should have used the term low quality as opposed to low res to avoid confusion.

AlphaWolf said:
And I certainly don't want to pay in advance for the possibilities.

There wont be possibilities at all if we don't pay in advance. But, again, who knows what's already in the pipeline?

Handwriting and voice recognition have been around for years and they are still barely useable

Untill Nintendo came out and created a successful system around those very same technologies.

AlphaWolf said:
I don't think a low res camera is going to be the breakthrough must have device.

Well, it sure became quote common and used on cellphones. nm. But anyway, I understand your feelings quite well. I'm just more optimist than you I guess. Let's just quit this and see what happens together.

Back