Latest word on XP X64?

How is XP 64-bit handling USB devices that do not have any 64-bit drivers made for them? I've got various joysticks and such that need their own software to function...

thanks for the input. BTW did you have to register XP to use it? i can't remember, but i don't usually register things i buy, until/unless i have a problem. im stll using SP1...but i do get those other critical updates thingies.

to tell the truth i'd kinda like to use my current license on my new box till vista comes out. i'll be keeping (but not using till vista time anyway) my old box. is that so wrong? otherwise i'd have to buy a license to use for 6-8 months, even though my other license is sitting on a box i don't use. spose if i install it, my new rig will tattle on me?

it's not that i can't afford it, just seems a waste to get an OS for 6-8 months.

what would jesus do?

sorrry to take ver your topic... but i am getting AMD64 as next CPU for sure....
more CPUs out there, more software made for them....

Cartoon Corpse said:
thanks for the input. BTW did you have to register XP to use it? i can't remember, but i don't usually register things i buy, until/unless i have a problem. im stll using SP1...but i do get those other critical updates thingies.

to tell the truth i'd kinda like to use my current license on my new box till vista comes out. i'll be keeping (but not using till vista time anyway) my old box. is that so wrong? otherwise i'd have to buy a license to use for 6-8 months, even though my other license is sitting on a box i don't use. spose if i install it, my new rig will tattle on me?

it's not that i can't afford it, just seems a waste to get an OS for 6-8 months.

what would jesus do?

On home you must enter your key during install, and once inside windows you must do an activation. Basically register your copy for the most part, but not really, I guess.... On Pro you only have to enter your key during install.

My question is why you're still only running SP1. SP2 didnt hurt anyone of my clients and no one I know personaly, unless you have a known software compatibility issue I personally think its kinda silly not to upgrade.

I believe the license is good per user. Meaning that if you install it on your PC, then upgrade later on, you must uninstall it on your last PC, then you could install it on your new one. You may have to call Microsoft though and get a new activation key. This is fine though I believe, and there is nothing wrong with it. Just call up MS, from my experience their tech support isnt that bad actually.

While not legal in Europe (but I wonder how many people know that), Microsoft demands the sticker on the box for a reason.

Windows XP's activation thingie resets after 3 months, and it doesn't continually send information to Microsoft. If you haven't installed XP within 3 months, you'll have no problems with the install, if you have, you'll have to call up Microsoft to get an activation number.(after explaining your situation)

Cartoon Corpse said:
to tell the truth i'd kinda like to use my current license on my new box till vista comes out. i'll be keeping (but not using till vista time anyway) my old box. is that so wrong?

Nah. Or rather, not at all. The thing for me is that
a) I now have a student license and I will probably stop being a student about the time when I buy the new computer.
b) I don't plan to build the computer myself (configure yes, build no), and if the reseller installs the OS they will hopefully discover any great hardware glitches before the system is shipped to me.

Were either a) or b) not the case I might have gone on with my current copy.

i run xp pro. i stuck with sp1, cause i heard 'horror' stories about games not running. and since im rarely connected to interweb when im gaming i don't really have that much security exposure. im not usually connected so i can kill off alot of overhead procs b4 i run my games on my 1.4G p4. gives me good boost.

thanks. i just assumed my 'terms and conditions agreement' was solidly pro microsoft and anti me.

that'll save me a few bucks. and hopefully buy me some simplicity in getting things running.

I have x64, works & looks largely identically to 32bit.
Main differences I've noticed:
Folders with large numbers of files seem to open faster
nVidia still only has beta drivers for nForce3 mobo
There are no x64 drivers at all for Netgear wireless hardware.

Things I've noticed:
- FarCry x64 patch is neat
- CineBench x64 is 10~15% faster then the 32bit version
- Install .NET 2.0 before you try and install ATi drivers
- intel has excelent x64 driver support
- Acrobat 7.0 Pro PDF Printer driver doesn't work (all other parts work)
- PCmark05 completes all tests, but won't give me a score

Did the 64 bit thing (amd 1.32 update and content) with farcry yesterday evening, got the settings on very high with 4x AA and 8x aniso at 1680x1050 and it's playable (to me). So that's cool. :) (x800xtpe, AMD 64 at 2GHz.)

Back