Thinking of trading in the 350Z...

If you get more bhp out of it then it can offset to some extent the loss of energy density. That was the actual point I was making.

Sxotty said:
If you get more bhp out of it then it can offset to some extent the loss of energy density. That was the actual point I was making.

The point is, the engine is built for the power it delivers officially + some overhead tolerance, which is just as big as necessary. So it'll usually vastly shorten the life of the engine or it'll just suddenly fall into pieces at some point ;)

Moffell said:
Yes. I know. Notice the mall dot between the two sentences.? Any modern Flexifuel car does raise the effective compression ratio when fueled with Ethanol. For example.; Saab's 9-5 Biopower for example gets a 180 bhp when using ethanol vs a 150 when using ordinary gas. How's that for a sales pitch.?
In the beginnings of the century "liquer" cars were not uncommon and it was widely recognized that they had more oomph than gasoline cars. Most people don't know this and assume that with ethanol you will get worse performing cars.

Please correct me when I'm wrong but there's no fricking need to shout.
This wasn't only directed at you, anyone who thinks puting high octane fuel in their car will give their power more power.
it's very important for people to understand that :cool:

_xxx_ said:
The point is, the engine is built for the power it delivers officially + some overhead tolerance, which is just as big as necessary. So it'll usually vastly shorten the life of the engine or it'll just suddenly fall into pieces at some point ;)
Not always man, there are engines which were designed to run turbos that can handle a significant increase in the level of boost without damaging it.

Sxotty said:
Not always man, there are engines which were designed to run turbos that can handle a significant increase in the level of boost without damaging it.

Not nowadays. Every cent that can be saved _will_ be saved, even if it's just that the cyllinder walls are 0.5 mm thinner or made with lower-value materials. We have that problem right now with the engine design from the Mercedes series car which we will use for our next engine, it can't handle much more than what it does and we will have to redesign/reinforce quite a few vital parts to be able to charge it. That makes it _much_ more expensive (~2x the original price).

_xxx_ said:
Not nowadays. Every cent that can be saved _will_ be saved, even if it's just that the cyllinder walls are 0.5 mm thinner or made with lower-value materials. We have that problem right now with the engine design from the Mercedes series car which we will use for our next engine, it can't handle much more than what it does and we will have to redesign/reinforce quite a few vital parts to be able to charge it. That makes it _much_ more expensive (~2x the original price).

do i have your permission to repost this on mbworld.org?

The M35X is a very nice car, around $10k more than the G though.

I find it amazing that mkillio predicted my favorite car 5 years before it was made and 8 years before I bought it! :O

She finally got paid off last month, and her title came today. Emmy is mine all mine, and I finally get to start modding her! :D (Yes, I name my cars too...bugger off! :p ) I was trying to remember if B3D was one of the places I've been babbling about her for years or not and this post turned up and damn near slayed me!

I can't believe it, TWO paid off cars now! I'm not sure who's name we're going to put the title in on Emmy, but my little nugget Josie is titled in my name which is really weird to me. (2000 VW Cabrio I picked up for $20 since "it needed $1,600 of front ened work to be safe!"...my buddy fixed it for $65 in parts and I invested $300 in new rubber for it. Been running like a freaking champ, gets almost double me or the wife's Jeep's mileage too! LOL Love that little thing, wish my kids would get a freaking license so they could use it...<sigh>)

My big rule for a vehicle is, "does it make you happy when you're driving it or not?", and for both Emmy and Josie it's big time yeses even though in different ways. Josie is fun because she's a convertible that we basically saved from being scrapped that has just been the best little trooper of a third car I could hope for, it always works for me. Parts are cheap, no one cares what I do to it, and most of it involves cleaning it since it sat for too many years and that just takes some time and effort. Also I love the manual convertible top and got a line in so I can hook my phone up to the sound system which is pretty decent. (It's the "Khardon" model)

Emmy, now Emmy is just pure driving pleasure to me. Deep, comfortable leather that is somehow still supportive as hell when maneuvering and a well designed cockpit that might not have all the latest bells and whistles, but it has more than enough for me. The sound system is just superb to me, and the controls on the steering wheel/dash are confusing and awkward as hell but after a few years I knew all of 'em by telemetry. She's a 4-door black sedan that is so non-descript I kept having troubles finding her in parking lots for the first year I owned her, but that lets her blend in to the crowds so well!

Oh, she's also got 330hp with decent handling and extremely nice brakes now. (Just upgraded 'em last month, I HATE cheap brakes that warp!)

Cops ignore me in her, I weave through traffic courteously, and I almost got all the power I need. (I want to do the plenum mod to her, it not only adds horsepower but also increases efficiency so the gas mileage goes up. Design flaw in the engine, about a $100 part and an afternoon's work but I want to do her plugs and points when I do that too so I'll probably blow it off. :p )

Happy day, but mind blowingly weird post to find from 2005 predicting my future car love. Made me smile and laugh, thanks!

Back