Thinking of trading in the 350Z...

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
Yup. My wife's near accident this morning has got her thinking of the long winter months ahead and she's thinking of trading in the Z on something a little more practicle...

...a G35 coupe with all-wheel drive.

EDITED BITS: Dang it, the title was supposed to be "Thinking of trading in the 350Z..." but I had a brainfart and I can't edit it. :(

EDITED BITS II: Thank you most gratious powers-that-be! :D

digitalwanderer said:
Yup. My wife's near accident this morning has got her thinking of the long winter months ahead and she's thinking of trading in the Z on something a little more practicle...

...a G35 coupe with all-wheel drive.
How bout she just be more carefull and get some winter tires?

radeonic2 said:
How bout she just be more carefull and get some winter tires?
Nope. She's now officially "worried about it" and the Z will soon be history and we'll have something different.

She sprang it on me at bloody 1:30 in the morning, she was worried I wouldn't want to get rid of the Z.

I love the Z and all, but it's just a thing and I love my wife a whole lot more. Besides, it's her car. She's the one who has to drive it, and she's about to get a major promotion that will require her to drive even farther down some country roads this winter and I want her not only to be safe but to feel safe.

I'm just looking at different vehicles now. Something sporty, but all wheel drive. The G35X is out, she doesn't like how it looks. She was looking at Muranos, but once you start decking out the SE version it gets a bit out of our price range.

I'd like to keep this one under $30k, the further under the better.

Crisidelm said:
When I read the topic "Think" I thought:"Yeow, it's too early in the morning for that! You want to kill me".
Heh, that's what I thought when my wife told me about it this late at night....I've known of this for a full hour now and it's 2:30am and I'm thinking of passing out. :LOL:

I was looking at the Subaru Legacy, jeebus I gotta figure out something decent. This time we want something with a backseat. A two-seater with two kids is just too difficult. :???:

digitalwanderer said:
EDITED BITS: Dang it, the title was supposed to be "Thinking of trading in the 350Z..." but I had a brainfart and I can't edit it. :(

I thought it was going to be a thread about IBM... ;)

Of course you should trade in that midlife crisis wagon for something more practical. Something the whole family can enjoy...with Nintendo, Playstation, and DVD movies in the back seat. We're talking all out, fuel-guzzling, Republican* SUV luvin' here! :p

Glad the wife is ok. Drive safely.

* This is a joke folks. Everyone knows that it is Democrats who drive family friendly SUVs for car pooling purposes. :smile:

In the winter I always tell my wife to take my Audi TT :) It's a baby under 3000 rpm and the Quattro 4WD is superb in dodgy conditions.

pocketmoon66 said:
In the winter I always tell my wife to take my Audi TT :) It's a baby under 3000 rpm and the Quattro 4WD is superb in dodgy conditions.
Yep, the Quattro drive system is still one of the best in "normal" cars.

And when looking at the price tag of the G35X this one comes to mind:
http://www.modernracer.com/audia430quattro.html

Well, I'd suggest the 3.0 TDI (awesome torque of 405Nm starting from 1500rpm, with a mileage of ca. 30mpg), but as Diesels are almost nonexistent in the US...

Outside the Quattro, the Subaru WRX, Mitsubishi Evolution and my favourite Skyline GTR, also Honda Integra Type-R, the Peugot 206 is excellent as well.

ATTESSA sure is the best out there that will be in an affordable car. The Skyline GTR should make its way here sometime in a few years. Then I will buy the real G35, should be called Skyline here too I hope.

Go for Subaru or Mitsubishi or such. Audis are expensive crap (as a whole, although their AWD is good as such), Peugeot is total crap in itself compared to anything japanese you can buy.

_xxx_ said:
Go for Subaru or Mitsubishi or such. Audis are expensive crap (as a whole, although their AWD is good as such)

I just have the feeling you aren't impartial when it comes to Audi (vs...say, Mercedes for example) :devilish:

Snyder said:
I just have the feeling you aren't impartial when it comes to Audi (vs...say, Mercedes for example) :devilish:

True, I hate Audi. Because they sell VW crap in a better designed shell for the same money you'll lay down for a Mercedes or BMW AND dare calling themselves "premium". The only thing premium about Audi is the price. And I know it's the VW crap since I have enough knowledge of what's under the hood there through my work.

I second the Subaru.

I have a LegacyGT wagon, "ok" gas mileage (better than your Z, for sure), lots of zoom, and AWD. And :love:0K, to boot.

RussSchultz said:
I second the Subaru.

I have a LegacyGT wagon, "ok" gas mileage (better than your Z, for sure), lots of zoom, and AWD. And :love:0K, to boot.

I am mulling over an offer to buy the Legacy GT wagon(2005) fully loaded with leather for $32000 Canadian. This is to replace one of my company vehicles and while I usually would have been looking for a more frugal vehicle, it is a deal that may be to good to pass up.

I haven't had any complaints with the car in the year I've owned it. (except that the radio doesn't have a line in)

digitalwanderer said:
I want her not only to be safe but to feel safe.

I'm just looking at different vehicles now. Something sporty, but all wheel drive. The G35X is out, she doesn't like how it looks.
Looked at something that isn't a gas-guzzling 'murrican car? :D

These are made right here in my city, look great IMO and amongst the safest you can buy, particulary in the SUV bracket. Dunno how much they cost though. Probably a lot, but if one wants quality there'll be a price-tag attached...

_xxx_ said:
True, I hate Audi. Because they sell VW crap in a better designed shell for the same money you'll lay down for a Mercedes or BMW AND dare calling themselves "premium". The only thing premium about Audi is the price. And I know it's the VW crap since I have enough knowledge of what's under the hood there through my work.
Well, that's kinda 'duh'...I thought it's common knowledge that Audi & VW cars share a lot of parts between different price classes. Like most car manufacturers do around the globe.
Following that logic, the Merc SLK must be crap as well because the Crossfire is far cheaper.

Well, I'm on my second Audi now (been driving one for about 8 years) and have not had any problems with either so they can't be all that bad.

This is in comparison to the last two BMWs my father has driven. His current Turbo diesel has broken down three times in the past 4 years - it blows up after every 20,000 miles without fail. :???:

His previous BMW had numerous problems as well.

_xxx_ said:
Go for Subaru or Mitsubishi or such. Audis are expensive crap (as a whole, although their AWD is good as such), Peugeot is total crap in itself compared to anything japanese you can buy.

Agree with the peugeot, but to quote a respected UK auto journalist, "once all the excess trim has fallen off their OK". My wife drives a 405 estate and it's true, lots of bits dropped off quickly but after 8 years it still drives like a tank and has been ultra reliable (touch wood!) The 2 year service interval is handy.

Re Audi, My TT has been plagued by electical probs. Another sensor gives up each week. I actually drove with the air mass sensor unplugged and it worked better without it! Luckily there's a very good UK TT-forums website that has guides on how to fix most things. The big one on the TT's is the dash pod which dies with alarming regularity and costs £800 to replace! Ack!

BUT on last weeks Top Gear, Jeremy Clarkson rated the new Audi RS4 better than an M3, and I believe him :)

for some petrol-headed fun check out:
http://www.topgear.com/content/timetoburn/sections/videos/

which includes some clips from the show where UK celebs drive a 'reasonably priced car' around a racing lap.

Back