Digit-life interview with Guennadi Riguer (ATI Technologies)

satein

Regular
Digit-life is up the interview with Guennadi Riguer (ATI Technologies), a head of a group of ATI engineers. The interview is mainly talked about R5xx series rated. Here is some quote from digit-life...
iXBT.com: What's your name and job position in ATI?
My name is Guennadi Riguer. I'm a head of a group of ATI engineers, who are responsible for supporting developers in Northern America and often beyond its boundaries. My team works closely with many game developers, helping them introduce new graphics technologies.

yer agreed on the font though one thing i found by accident is with firefox if you hold down ctrl and then roll the mouse wheel the font will enlarge or shrink.

Good article need to get a coffee + time to read the whole thing.

Ah, finally got to see an explanation to the high amount of shader power in RV530.

Oh, and in addition to the ctrl + mousewheel for fontsize, you can also use ctrl and + -.
Sometimes tables screws up resizing though, so you might have to click the text you want to change to give it focus.
Aand sometimes that doesn't work either :rolleyes:

Nice interview.
Not sure what you're on about with the font size.
I can see it quite fine on a 19" crt at 1600x1200 at default zoom (opera).

radeonic2 said:
Nice interview.
Not sure what you're on about with the font size.
I can see it quite fine on a 19" crt at 1600x1200 at default zoom (opera).
heh... they think that "finding" feature like custom per-page zoom is "cool" ... when "old" opera users already forgot when was that given to us.... :D

the interview was published on russian a week ago ... maybe their translator was in vacation ?! :D

btw, noticed the answers about lack of VS-texturing and fp16-filtration?:rolleyes:

Wow, that really was a good interview. Overall, probably one of the best I've ever seen from a representative of ATI or NVidia.

The texture to math ratio information was nice, and I think he had good answers for the tough questions.

So when do we get R2VB? That's a very good feature, and IIRC it can be used by all DX9 parts since R300.

Mintmaster said:
So when do we get R2VB? That's a very good feature, and IIRC it can be used by all DX9 parts since R300.

It's already in the drivers , devs just have to use it

tEd said:
It's already in the drivers , devs just have to use it
Cool! Couple of questions:
- Any documentation anywhere?
- Does the new Radeon SDK have anything in it regarding R2VB?
- Is it supported on R300 based cards?

Mintmaster said:
The next SDK according to humus will have alot R2VB stuff. It's supported on all r300 based cards afaik

Last edited:
chavvdarrr said:
heh... they think that "finding" feature like custom per-page zoom is "cool" ... when "old" opera users already forgot when was that given to us.... :D

the interview was published on russian a week ago ... maybe their translator was in vacation ?! :D

btw, noticed the answers about lack of VS-texturing and fp16-filtration?:rolleyes:
Hmm?
I'm a new opera user my self.
I switched when opera went free.
I've used it before but never liked it.
I still miss a few things, and opera is worse for poorly coded pages, but it's so darn smooth!
I severely miss adblock...

It means that the usage of vertex texture fetch in real games would have been rather weak, and the corresponding piece of the die would have just been idle in the majority of games. For chip manufacturers it means wasting money. I haven't seen a Direct3D game supporting vertex texture fetch so far. The only OpenGL game supporting this feature is IL-2. By the way, we are pleased to note that it's the Russian developer 1C who promotes advanced graphics technologies.

In IL-2:

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/nvidia_geforce_7800_gtx_512mb/page9.asp

how do ATI cards render the game with equal IQ to the NVidia cards, if IL-2 is using vertex texturing? Or is IL-2 IQ on ATI cards considerably worse?

Jawed

Jawed said:
how do ATI cards render the game with equal IQ to the NVidia cards, if IL-2 is using vertex texturing? Or is IL-2 IQ on ATI cards considerably worse?

Jawed

I can't read the FS article here at work, but I doubt Brandon went into the .ini file to enable the feature for his testing. Unless of course he specifically mentions doing so.

Graphics_Krazy said:
Texture filtering causes a HUGE drop on NV hardware - something in the league of 50-70%

The scores are much lower with it turned on.

Well, I'm glad most people don't use texture filtering with their NV cards. :p

Mintmaster said:

There's nothing in the current SDK, but there will be in the next SDK. For instance you'll see a particle system that runs entirely on the GPU and does a million particles in real-time. :) It's supported on R300 as well, but with some limitations (not hardware, but due to how it interacts with the API). It can only use one stream from a texture, while R520 can do five.

Thanks Humus. I'm really looking forward to it. I've been waiting ages for this, and was rather upset when the R400 architecture got pushed back two generations. I was going to try and dig into superbuffers, but I haven't done any OpenGL programming, and I couldn't find a clear enough explanation or example for how it all works. R2VB in DX will save me gobs of time.

It would also be rather amusing to see the 9700 outperform the 7800GTX in a water simulation :devilish:

So when can we expect the next SDK?

Back