Google Talk voicechat issue!

Guden Oden

Legend
I and a buddy tried out this awesome proggy the other day. No frills, no bullshit, no bloat. Plain and simple interface. Really really great, and we both loved it. Voice chat quality was great, BUT!

Like every other damn voice chat program ever made it seems (or at least I've tried for any length of time), it disconnects after a while and DOESN'T TELL YOU. So there I sat, explaining stuff to nobody at all, thinking I was talking to my buddy (he's not always the most talkative :D).

Anyone else had this happen for them? Why the hell do these programs disconnect randomly? GRRRR!

You're the IM hating king, I'm surprised you even considered this.

Do you or he share a connection with others, might need some sort of QoS, and even if you two have independent net connections, make sure you're both running the QoS service -- check under network properties.

Never had this issue with a voice chat program. Of course the only one's I used are: Ventrilo and Teamspeak. Both made for gaming really except for Vent. Vent is an amazing program though that has awesome quality when using a good codec.

I and my buddy g-talked more yesterday (playing WoW together, heh heh), and it seems that the program automatically times out after a certain period. It says (on my side) that my buddy has "gone idle", I suppose it does that because we're not typing anything to each other, but then again why should we, we're voice chatting...

Is anyone using g-talk out there? For how long can you have conversations? I'm going to try and remember to use my stopwatch next time...

I use gtalk, since it's jabber kopete supports it nicely, not sure about voice support, however.

Used Google Talk to multiplay HD2 with my buddy and it worked great nonstop for a couple of hours. I also talk to friends back in India and they have horrible broadband connections over there but still the software does a great job of sending out clear voice signals. Amazing software. I just wish it had support for vdo conferencing and also for conference calls. I hope Google considers these to be the next additions to this great little program.

Back