New cheeseball ATi slides bashing 512MB 7800 GTX

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
I don't know how I missed this story Hanners posted at EB this morning, but until a couple of minutes ago miss it I did. :oops:

Hanners at Elite Bastards said:
NVIDIA's GeForce 7800 GTX 512MB an 'act of desperation'?

You can probably almost guess from the ridiculous nature of the title who is making this claim - Yes, that's right, it's time for another one of those stupid marketing presentations. This time the 'star' of the show is ATI, here to tell us that the GeForce 7800 GTX 512MB is 'an act of desperation', slower than the Radeon X1800 XT and liable to fail after only a short period of use. Err... Okay.

If you want to take a look at this sordid presentation, you can find it here. Will ATI and NVIDIA ever stop these sickening games? We can only hope...
Rys gets taken out of context and everything, oodles of icky. :rolleyes: :(

I think it is actually pretty funny.

And I really don't care, that is what marketing is supposed to do take things out of context, make your competitor look bad, or yourself look good whichever is easier. I would feel worse for the people like Rys who's quotes they used. Heck if you just use quotes we could come up with dandy presentations.

ATI will only ship 7, x1800 PE cards. Now nvidia marketing can slap that quote on a slide and never comment on whether they agree :p

It's amazing how quickly Nvidia was able to act on their desperation. When all else fails, fall back on some good ol' FUD.

I love these presentations, from both companies. I would love to have it presented to me by a clean-cut suit keeping a straight face, raising my hand, and saying "excuse me, but do you realize you are a total prat?"

And I guess we can take this as a confirmation that there will be no XT PE. ATI aren't that desperate. :LOL:

wireframe said:
And I guess we can take this as a confirmation that there will be no XT PE. ATI aren't that desperate. :LOL:

They did have "TBA" in the product line up chart against the 7800 GTX. I like how the spell doom for everyone who buys a 7800 GTX and fault Nvidia for availibiltiy! :LOL:

I want the job of making FUD. I'm sure I'd be very good at it. :devilish:

So: Where did these slides come from? What was their intended use? Without any attribution I really don't see anything newsworthy there. They don't like an official ATI presentation and middle management/marketing making over exaggerated claims in sales-training presentations is more common than dirt.

Negative marketing or positively false claims directed at the consumer, on the other hand, I don't like in any shape or form, but this? Meh...

I'm really not a fan of negative marketing, but after all the time that ATI spent getting hit in the face by Nvidia's version of these slides, I'm kind of glad that ATI have finally been fighting back in this way. At least now it's not just one side's FUD getting out. I guess that if both sides are doing it, I hope the overall effect will be to cancel each other out. It's just a pity that this sort of gutter fighting is now the norm for the industry, rather than the exception.

It is an interesting factoid if TSMC's specs for the 11 micron process are significantly exceeded. I also note that Newegg got about 50 512MB GTXs and no more...

FUD yes, but it might also have some grounding in reality.

Mize said:
It is an interesting factoid if TSMC's specs for the 11 micron process are significantly exceeded. I also note that Newegg got about 50 512MB GTXs and no more...

FUD yes, but it might also have some grounding in reality.
Grounding? like a soft ground... ;)

Anyway if you noticed the temperature on the slides might have been interesting since it was at something like 125C, and the small print for 1/1000 has a problem.

Mize said:
It is an interesting factoid if TSMC's specs for the 11 micron process are significantly exceeded.
Funny thing ATi (if it's their slides after all) mentioning this. I was under the impression, that they were the ones, announcing a product on that said process, using it for looking preferable in benchmarks and then silently cancelled this product. Rumors have it, that they could not keep their announced clock-rate within TSMCs specified voltage-range, which is, as far as i'm informed, just 1,4v - exactly the normal GTX's core-voltage.

The 512MB-Version seems to be using 1,45v, which is beyond said range. :)

Sxotty said:

Anyway if you noticed the temperature on the slides might have been interesting since it was at something like 125C, and the small print for 1/1000 has a problem.

Heh...only scanned them quickly and the 125 C thing is totally ambiguous, but it is 1170 hours for 1/1000 failure rate. Now admitedly that might be a serious failure rate.

And how the hell do people log 30 hrs/week of 3D anyway? No jobs/kids/spouses? I have an x1800xt and a dell 2405 and still haven't found time to play HL2 or FarCry (though I finally got them both installed).

Sxotty said:

Now if they ever sell more than 1000 of them, then someone needs to worry.:D

There are a couple valid points. Increasing the clocks as much as they have as well as the voltage to do so does decrease the MTBF. Also if you look around they are hardly available in mass quantities, only a couple places have a couple left and the price is at a handy $700.

In general though it is FUD, 30 hrs a week? Come on. Too bad ATI is lowering themselves to nvidia's level.

I dont like the new direction of ATI's PR with regards to these types of slides. Whoever they hired from NVIDIA they should box him/her up and ship them back to NV HQ ASAP.

This game's way older than these new slides. Nvidias infamous "Kyro-Paper", ATi's Richard Huddy's "Save the nanosecond"-Presentation which was posted on Toms Hardware with Sir Richards speaker's notes left in there or some GeforceFX-Thrashing-PDFs, which i do not remember the name of (just some quotes: "Cinematic Decelaration" "Makes you chose Partial Precision or Partial Performance").

Both, nVidia and ATi, are in the end just companys wanting our best: our money. So it has been and so it will be.

You guys should hear some of the things both PR teams say to retailers concerning the "opposite party"... quite hilarious :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back