How well is psp doing?

the problem with the GB micro is that in some ways it's a downgrade from the GBA sp. it's got a smaller screen, and doesn't play GB/GBC games. plus, if you are in the market for a new GB, $30 more than the micro gets you a DS, and $20 less gets you one of the new backlit GBAsp.

i didn't consider one at all until i played one. it's much more comfortable than it looks and the small, bright screen makes some games look better. but i already have 2 GBAs, 1 GBAsp, and 2 DS so the last thing i need is a micro.

PC-Engine said:
You cannot expect a facelifted GBA to sell the same numbers as DS units. It's selling better than SP which is exacly what it was positioned to do especially considering it's more expensive than SP.

True. I guess I just expected to do quite a bit better. Maybe if they dropped the price to $59, it becomes a worthy second (but far more portable) GBA.

see colon said:
the problem with the GB micro is that in some ways it's a downgrade from the GBA sp. it's got a smaller screen, and doesn't play GB/GBC games. plus, if you are in the market for a new GB, $30 more than the micro gets you a DS, and $20 less gets you one of the new backlit GBAsp.

Right, so really the $99 price tag doesn't help differentiate it at all.

see colon said:
i didn't consider one at all until i played one. it's much more comfortable than it looks and the small, bright screen makes some games look better. but i already have 2 GBAs, 1 GBAsp, and 2 DS so the last thing i need is a micro.

Glad to hear it's comfortable. I had concerns that long term (1+ hour) would cramp hands. I know my GMA-SP isn't nearly as comfortable as my GBA.

Personally i never really understood the point in releasing the Micro. In many ways it's a downgrade from their last efforts, and they just released the DS. I think Nintendo was doing quite well without it and will be doing quite well after they see it aint gonna sell much...

Plus GBA-SPs have received a screen update, so offer a much better gaming platform. Still, some people are buying micros and that's making Nintendo money, so I can't fault their decision in that respect.

i don't think micros are flying off the shelves. i think they'd sell better if the price was lower. i mean, price being equal i think many people would choose a micro over an SP just because the micro is "sexy". the backlit SP has nice color, but the screen trails. i'd choose the front lit SP over it personaly, but i think i'm hypersensative to trailing. i can't watch UMD movies because i can see trails and it makes my head hurt.

Well there's always "people who will buy XXXX". Some people even bought the Virtual Boy!
but who's buying gizmondo?

YeuEmMaiMai said:
with DS now retailing for $99 exactly why would you want a GB Micro? (besides the fact that it is so small)

Where can you get it for $99?

How well is the PSP doing?

Hardware:
(as of October 21, 2005) Worldwide, 10 million units
http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/data/bizdatapsp_e.html

Software:
(as of September 9, 2005) Worldwide, 19,6 million copies
http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/data/bizdatasoft_e.html

It's doing exceptionally well in Europe (2,53 million units in less than 2 months compared to Japans 3,0 million units in 10 months).

It's on par with the PS2 with 10 million units the first year (actually, PSP is doing slightly better than PS2).

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/data/bizdataps2_e.html

MasaC said:

Hardware:

Software:

It's doing exceptionally well in Europe (2,53 million units in less than 2 months compared to Japans 3,0 million units in 10 months).

It's on par with the PS2 with 10 million units the first year (actually, PSP is doing slightly better than PS2).

Thanks for answering the thread starter's question. Great answer.

according to Cubed3 the NA installed base as od the end of September looked like this:
1.) PlayStation 2 - 30,348,989
2.) Game Boy Advance - ~29,773,000
3.) Xbox - 13,483,752
4.) GameCube - 10,005,137
5.) Nintendo DS - 2,376,895
6.) PSP - 2,028,530
i don't know enough about cubed3 to know how accurate their reporting is, but comparing those numbers to the software sales posted earlier looks pretty reasonable. hardware sales are close, software sales are close, and the attatch rate looks pretty close.

comparing psp sold vs shipped (cubed3's sold vs sony's shipped), it looks like sony has shipped twice what they've sold in North America. like i said i'm not sure how beleiveable that is, because the sold vs shipped numbers in japan and europe look to be closer. thoug that's expected in europe since the unit was only recently launched there.

It amuses me that the Anti-Sony brigade are using the exact same arguments against PSP's success that they used against PS2's. When PS2 was first doing well the old chestnut of "it's shipped and not sold`1`1!!" was also brought up, despite the fact that it's irrelevent - the numbers are impressive no matter which way you cut it.

Good to see such a great handheld doing well :)

MasaC said:

Hardware:

Software:

mckmas8808 said:
Thanks for answering the thread starter's question. Great answer.

Yes !!! Finally teh numbers are here. Looks like it's picking up momentum too since Sony said they shipped 9 mil software in 2Q 2005. Thanks for the links.

see colon said:
did i miss the post where someone said the psp was failing?

I assume you're referring to my post...?

If so, here is what I was originally referring to:

PC-Engine said:
Whoah shipped numbers cool man like for sure! Yeah most of those shipped is gathering dust on the shelves. If you only got 2 games on the top 30, you ain't selling much no matter how much you shipped.

been selling shitloads

Yeah....riiiight...more like shipping...

Guess you did miss it if that's the case.

Guess you did miss it if that's the case.

Guess you missed the shipped part in all of those new numbers.;)

10 million PSPs shipped worldwide, 19.6 million software units shipped worldwide. Those were the same numbers you posted before.

If you only got 2 games on the top 30, you ain't selling much no matter how much you shipped. ;)

Read my post again.

mech said:
It amuses me that the Anti-Sony brigade are using the exact same arguments against PSP's success that they used against PS2's. When PS2 was first doing well the old chestnut of "it's shipped and not sold`1`1!!" was also brought up, despite the fact that it's irrelevent - the numbers are impressive no matter which way you cut it.

Good to see such a great handheld doing well :)

Also, your "top 30" numbers only refer to the Japanese market. We already know that PSP is not doing as well as DS there and in general is not doing as well as in other markets. Picking and choosing evidence as you see fit, but then, what else would we expect from such a one-eyed Nintendo f@nboy who delights in trolling PSP threads? :rolleyes:

[Moderated for language]

mech said:
Read my post again, troll.

Also, your "top 30" numbers only refer to the Japanese market. We already know that PSP is not doing as well as DS there and in general is not doing as well as in other markets. Picking and choosing evidence as you see fit, but then, what else would we expect from such a one-eyed Nintendo f@nboy who delights in trolling PSP threads? :rolleyes:

According to SONY's numbers, they've shipped 5 million software units in Japan an shipped 3 million PSPs. Where are those 5 million games being bought in the top30???

Like I said it doesn't matter how many you ship if you're not selling them. Where is this "selling shitloads" you were claiming? Maybe you should revise that statement to "shipping shitloads"...

PC-Engine said:
According to SONY's numbers, they've shipped 5 million software units in Japan 3 million PSPs. Where are those 5 million games being bought in the top30???

Like I said it doesn't matter how many you ship if you're not selling them. Where is this "selling shitloads" you were claiming? Maybe you should revise that statement to "shipping shitloads"...

Not to intrude on your little catfight, but why don't we wait till after Xmas? Remember, the PSP hasn't had a Xmas holiday to enjoy, other than in Japan, who don't really celebrate Xmas anyways.

I, for one, will be buying a PSP for Xmas, and you can bet it's gonna be the item in quite a few other Xmas trees...so let's see how the PSP does on it's first holiday, then ask the question again.

Back