Sony may lose grip in next game consoles war: Article

scooby_dooby said:
That's the entire problem. It's NOT true. It's still to be decided.

If CELL is only ever able to reach 20% of it's theoretical potential, while XeCPU is able to reach 50% of it's theoretical potential, than it's the XeCPU that is more powerful.

Until we see this processor in teh real world, running real games, and we can see how EFFICIENT it really is, then and only then can you make a legitimate comparison.

Also, Software will play a huge role in determinging which CPU gets exploited to it's fullest potential.

So without knowing the realworld efficiency of CELL, and how much of that power dev's will truly be able to extract, and at the same time acknowledging that MS is likely to have a superior software tools(which will impact efficency), it's WAAAY to premature to conclude PS3 is giong to be more powerful.

It's not paper-specs that matter and peak #'s that matter, it's the the visuals on the screen.

This is a classic example of why people here will always continue arguing something that simply never will be established. When comparing processors, you usually compare them based on their potential as this is what developers will strive to max out over time. The problem with comparing "real world performance" is that everyone has their own definition of it. To some, it's an example of their favorite game A on platform B from developer C looking better than game X on platform Y from developer Z. It just doesn't work that way and by comparing it like that, you're limiting the potential of the systems performance on the ability of that particular developer. By doing that, you missing out on valid factors like time, money, budget, stress, inefficiencies, libraries, team sizes... how do you quantify these factors that play a significant factor in every single game? Answer: You can't. What's left is a flawed conclusion, one that usually is only ment to suit the arguing persons agenda.

IMO the only way you'll ever get some reasonable and valid conclusion when comparing different things is if you messure them under the same conditions: Take a relative simple task and see which one results in better performance. Even then, it's still an apples / oranges comparison, because you might be ignoring that each processor / architecture tries to solve its problem differently from the other. In the case of PS2 / Xbox for example, we have a system [Xbox] that allowed developers to extract easy performance while doing complex pixel operations, while on the other [PS2] developers have a very flexible yet complicated system that's optimal usage lies in different areas. When both are used efficiently and to the systems strength, you get very different results: I'd say a game like ZOE2 shows what the PS2 is very good at: Geometry, particles while low on textures. Xbox's advantage in my eyes lie primarely in its pixel operations (bump mapping) and texturing... something the PS2 isn't good at. After 5 years of this generation, it's still arguable which of these two systems is "more powerful" - but perhaps only because it has ever been an apples / oranges comparison from the beginning. In programmable performance, I'd give the edge to PS2 among other advantage like more usuable fillrate - on Xbox, the advantages clearly goes into other aspects of its hardware. How do you quantify which is "better"? In the end, it simply boils down to personal preference.

Fast forwarding back to the PS3 / Xbox360 situation, I can't help but feel some of you are really looking at it from the wrong angle. The CELLs potential is its floating point performance - something that will give it a lot of potential for developers to use. This is an undeniable fact - how far it will be utilized by developers is a completely different discussion, one that even in 5 years from now won't give you cut and dry answers. There will be developers extracting better performance than others - and none of them is a definite benchmark of a systems performance because they're influenced by many factors (cost, teamsize, effort...) as well.

As to which of the two systems will be "more powerful" (what a silly term)? Does it really matter when the results are different? I expect each exclusive developers to make brilliant use of the hardware each going for different looks based on the system's potentials while multiplatform targeted games will rarely be of any benchmark since they will be programmed to suit both systems at the same time. If we want to be geeks though and compare processors, you have to see the processors for what they are and what the approach they require. As such, CELLs potentials are undeniable (as is XeCPU and any other unit of each of the systems).

Edge said:
There are lots of great games being released now on the PS2 that could not be done years ago. I should know, I'm buying those games. These games are coming from the developers that matter, the developers that help sell systems.

Is this meant to be an answer, an argument, or what?...

I'll bite:

Laa-Yosh said:
Compared to the number of games released on the PS2, skilled developers are an absolute minority. And even if you have a lot of very good programmers, the amount of stuff that they can do in a reasonable timeframe still might not be enough. All that power from having low-level access might get left unused if there's no time to implement it properly, and what seemed to be an advantage might end up an obstacle.
And FYI, most of the stuff that could differentiate this next gen from the previous one are high-level things, which will be even more difficult to implement if the coders have to fight the low-level stuff...

I understand that the industry is forcing developers to produce more in less time and consequently to be able to bring down costs (do more for less) as costs in development rise. This isn't unique to the console industry but is found in all IT markets as well. Either you make accesible hardware at the expense of performance or the other way around.

If we take the PS2 / Xbox scenario, you'll see there are quite a few half assed efforts on Xbox as well, even though its hardware is more accessible. We'll always have examples on both and yet, I do enjoy the results of those developers on PS2 that fought with the hardware to get the best results possible.

The question is: do you want more challenging hardware to achieve more or do you want more accessible hardware to achieve fewer things with less effort? It's really a gamble, one that isn't as black and white since you have developers with more and less talent as developers with their personal preference on the subject as well.

laa-yosh said:
Edit: for example, let's assume that we have a coder whose mad skillz can give us about 10 times as much processing power to spend on AI, so we can have 10 times as many enemies compared to the previous gen. Or, we have a coder who can get 5 times the processing power but he can use it to create the same number of AI enemies, but 5 times as clever. Which one would be better? Which would you consider "next-gen gameplay"?

I'm going to assume that the coder with those "mad skillz" didn't necessarely put the performance to best use in that case then. I'm also going to assume that the first coder in your example could find other ways to use that double performance into evenmore clever enemies (or sophisticated AI) or simply in more advanced gameplay challenges thanks to more sophisticated enemies.

Truth though, more complex games don't necessarely make better games, but I'd argue that has less to do with the coders skills but more the teams talent of knowing what gamers want and putting the teams coding skills to good use.

The day Microsoft knows how to play the media game and pull the wool over the eyes of the average gamer is the day they may have a chance to take the lead. I can't even talk about the Xbox 360 with gamers in real life, in online games, or on forums without hearing Xbox 1.5, PS3 is the one to wait for, etc. It's amazing how many sheep there are in this world.

Metal said:
The day Microsoft knows how to play the media game and pull the wool over the eyes of the average gamer is the day they may have a chance to take the lead. I can't even talk about the Xbox 360 with gamers in real life, in online games, or on forums without hearing Xbox 1.5, PS3 is the one to wait for, etc. It's amazing how many sheep there are in this world.

It's true Sony knows how to advertise better than MS, but I don't think Sony is pulling any wool over any gamer's eyes. All Sony did was talk about what the PS3 will have in it and showed the world what the games will look like. Nothing wrong with that.

You can't be THAT naive...
Not saying Sony's success is 100% due to their marketing, but saying they innocently "showed PS3 and what the games will look like" is just naive.

london-boy said:
You can't be THAT naive...
Not saying Sony's success is 100% due to their marketing, but saying they innocently "showed PS3 and what the games will look like" is just naive.

I don't think I'm understanding you correctly. Are you saying Sony will not have games that looked like what they showed us and the rest of the world?

Metal was stating that MS needs to learn how to trick the average gamer like Sony does. Yet, I still don't know how Sony has tricked the average gamer. I watched the Countdown to Xbox 360 show last night on G4TV twice. Yes that's about 5 hours worth and even some respectable people said that they thought next-gen games would look like MGS4 and KZ.

So, maybe what MS should have done was show a better representation of what next-gen gaming is and not just show 1st gen, made in a hurry, with a current gen foundation with some next-gen polish type of games.

To me Sony is doing next-gen gaming justice. As is Nintendo. They are talking about next-gen gameplay; which sounds totally different from what we are getting today. Nintendo and Sony are talking more about real next-gen games, while MS is talking mostly about current gen games with some good next-gen polish. Bad mistake.

mckmas8808 said:
To me Sony is doing next-gen gaming justice. As is Nintendo. They are talking about next-gen gameplay; which sounds totally different from what we are getting today. Nintendo and Sony are talking more about real next-gen games, while MS is talking mostly about current gen games with some good next-gen polish. Bad mistake.

In other words, MS is "talking about" what they will actually deliver at launch, and others are just talking hypotheticals....

Maybe we should judge console power by actual power consumption!

I think the power supply 360 is supposed to be rated at up to 204W of gameplay power. Come on Sony, with higher transistor counts and a faster GPU, perhaps you can deliver up to 408W of gameplay power!

Zomg, twice as powerful!

Well, people always talk about console "power" when it comes to performance. This undescribable "power" one console has over the other if it pushes more polygons or more pixels or blah blah blah.... But in a sense, power is really the electrical power that goes through these things!
Consoles in 2050 will have a nuclear reactor to compete with each other.

Ty said:
50 programmers? I work on MMOs and we don't even throw that many on a project! You work for EA?

Someone large, and while I may not agree with the idea of throwing bodies at a problem, it's an unfortunate reality, which radically changes the way games software is developed.

Joe DeFuria said:
In other words, MS is "talking about" what they will actually deliver at launch, and others are just talking hypotheticals....

The first part in bold in 100% correct. MS is only talking about the now. MS is only talking what the consumer will see within the next 3 or so months. You notice games like Mass Effect wasn't hyped at E3 or TGS much as it should have. Mass Effect looks to me and many others more next-gen than Perfect Dark 0.

That's the difference between Sony and MS. Not to say one is correct and the other is not. Sony and Nintendo are not talking hypotheticals. To us they may seem like hypotheticals, but I'm pretty sure Sony and Nintendo will deliver what they are talking about and showing us.

I whole opinion on the things is that Sony will still maintain their dominance. Just by looking at the major gaming sites the push seems to be for Sony rather than MS. I don't think it is really about who has the better system or what games are coming out for which. Sony just has a loyal fan base. Microsoft will eat away most likely eat away at Sony's market share, but I don't seem them coming out the winner, unless Sony just really disappoints their fans, or gives them a reason to look elsewhere for a console. I myself fell the xbox360 to be a better choice, however I am mostly a PC gamer. I will only be getting a xbox360 because my bro is buying one. I am just more impressed with xbox having the general cores, unified shader, and the XNA. I don't know why, but these just appeal to me. Sony however does have the cell, but my gut doesn't tell me it will be everything it is cracked up to be. Maybe once we know what the RSX will be I will become much more enthused, but as it stands now I see MS as more solid. Though that could very well change once Sony finally decides to reveal more about the PS3.

mckmas8808 said:
To us they may seem like hypotheticals, but I'm pretty sure Sony and Nintendo will deliver what they are talking about and showing us.

Now that is naive. Since when has any company delivered on their marketing hype??

TheMightyPuck said:
Now that is naive. Since when has any company delivered on their marketing hype??

What the heck is naive about it?:mad: It's plain and simple to me and should be to you.

1. Sony showed a showstopper at TGS called MGS4. Now we all know that the game will look just as good and more than likely better than what we seen in September. How is this marketing hype? You make it sound as if it's impossible to make the game look like this. If this game looks worst then yes marketing hype, but that's Kojima's fault.

2. Sony showed a showstopper at E3 called Killzone. Now we don't know if Gurillea will deliver this, but is the video really isn't that much better than what MGS4 showed? Is the video really beyond the scope of what next-gen systems can do? Why is it that MS's first gen games are the end of be all of what next-gen games can do? Again how is this marketing hype. If Sony pulls it out then it was the truth the whole time. If they don't then yes you would have been correct in calling this video marketing hype.

3. Nintendo has given us some ideas of what the controller will be able to do in their promo video. Should we really question them on if they will be able to deliver on this? Nintendo's feelings about their revolution through gameplay is not marketing hype. But if the controller adds 0% to gameplay then yes this would have been marketing hype.

mckmas8808 said:
What the heck is naive about it?:mad: It's plain and simple to me and should be to you.

1. Sony showed a showstopper at TGS called MGS4. Now we all know that the game will look just as good and more than likely better than what we seen in September. How is this marketing hype? You make it sound as if it's impossible to make the game look like this. If this game looks worst then yes marketing hype, but that's Kojima's fault.

2. Sony showed a showstopper at E3 called Killzone. Now we don't know if Gurillea will deliver this, but is the video really isn't that much better than what MGS4 showed? Is the video really beyond the scope of what next-gen systems can do? Why is it that MS's first gen games are the end of be all of what next-gen games can do? Again how is this marketing hype. If Sony pulls it out then it was the truth the whole time. If they don't then yes you would have been correct in calling this video marketing hype.

3. Nintendo has given us some ideas of what the controller will be able to do in their promo video. Should we really question them on if they will be able to deliver on this? Nintendo's feelings about their revolution through gameplay is not marketing hype. But if the controller adds 0% to gameplay then yes this would have been marketing hype.

I was thinking more along the lines of xbox1.5, 120fps, hight drama and so on. As for the games, sure MGS4 is more than achievable, even on xbox, KZ on the other hand, I don't know, will the games be close? Well maybe, actually GOW is quite close, but still reaching the exact fidelity that the KZ demo showed feels quite far away...

Platon said:
I was thinking more along the lines of xbox1.5, 120fps, hight drama and so on. As for the games, sure MGS4 is more than achievable, even on xbox, KZ on the other hand, I don't know, will the games be close? Well maybe, actually GOW is quite close, but still reaching the exact fidelity that the KZ demo showed feels quite far away...

And I totally understand why you feel that way. But think about it. In 1999 were games like RE4, MGS3, SOTC, God of War, Far Cry, Splinter Cell 3, etc thought about? The developers always seem to amaze us with what they come up with. People sometimes look at me as a Sony fanguy, but I'll say it right here and now I personally think the Xbox 360 will be able to produce games that look very very close to the KZ video also.

Basing what a console can do off of what you see in first gen games that are rushed and not really polished seems foolish to me. Why say a game like isn't possible from Sony's videoshow while comparing it to a game like PD0? I wish I could bet some people on this board that Splinter Cell 5 will look damn near as good as the KZ video.

Why people think Gears of War is the best thing that we will get next-gen graphically is beyond me.
fragend013.gif

mckmas8808 said:
I wish I could bet some people on this board that Splinter Cell 5 will look damn near as good as the KZ video.

not with me.they will probably make it with UE3 (or modified).But i think insomniac can do wonders.

Back