AMD taunts Intel about dual core!

Zaphod

Remember
Veteran
In a marketing effort AMD some time ago challenged Intel to an epic battle of the dual core champions. Obviously never expecting Intel to comply they’ve now posted up a Lettermanesque Top 10 Reasons Intel Will Not Participate In The Dual-Core Duel.

Funny? Inventive? Silly? Unprofessional?

IMO, while I would like to see AMD increase their market share, I'm not overly fond of that kind of negative marketing regardless of nonsensical Intel jumpsuits commercials, anticompetitive tactics, and whtever else they might be guilty of.

Bring it on!

That's kind of a low blow, but Intel needs a little slap in the face now and again.

At first I didn't believe it was actually from AMD...

#1 is pretty funny....Paul's Paradox...heh.

Ohhhh, I think it's a good thing this document is not going to be widely publicized. I have a feeling it would come back to haunt them after Intel releases their new architecture in the second half of 2006. ;)

I do like AMD, but taunting Intel is like poking the sick grizzly bear. Sure it's funny, but it has a real change of coming around and bitting you in the....

Given enough time, Intel can, and hopefully will, invest huge resources into a whole new product line. Intel has made a LOT of missteps lately, in a lot of product lines. But anyone that counts them out is being foolish. I really expect to see them hit back eventually, I just hope AMD can build up enough market share to survive the onslaught.

Is it unproffesional? Definitely. Is it funny? Damn right it is!

What I really like is that they combine just the right amount of humour, gloating and bitterness :) No. 2, as noted, is a classic!

the maddman said:
I do like AMD, but taunting Intel is like poking the sick grizzly bear. Sure it's funny, but it has a real change of coming around and bitting you in the....

Given enough time, Intel can, and hopefully will, invest huge resources into a whole new product line. Intel has made a LOT of missteps lately, in a lot of product lines. But anyone that counts them out is being foolish. I really expect to see them hit back eventually, I just hope AMD can build up enough market share to survive the onslaught.

Good. Slap 'em harder, AMD. Get 'em mad. Make 'em embarrassed. Make 'em grit their teeth until their fillings crack.

Good for the consumer as far as I'm concerned.

ANova said:
"He is Vigo! You are like the buzzing of flies to him!"
Nothing like Ghostbusters quotes to put things into perspective:
Ray: Two in the box.
Egon: Ready to go.
Peter: We be fast.
Ray, Egon, Peter: They be slow.
Swap in AMD engineer #1, #2 and #3 for Ray, Peter and Egon. :LOL:

Amd rules.
As others have said intel needs a a slap to get them in gear.
I find number 6 kinda ironic since amd prices their X2s so high since supposedly that can't make enough of them...
Intel however is ready to give you cheap dual cores that perform like ass in single threaded applications

we all know Intel screwed with their complete line-up.... they went for high clockspeeds instead of quality chips that will work just as same with less energy needed and less heat around....

Since AMD broke 1Ghz, Intel went berserk on clock speed, nothing else mattered and now they are being wiped by AMD in every possible scenario..... it was Intel's decision to go for high clock speeds and long pipes instead on short pipes and lower clock speeds....

AMD had lots of problems explaining people that their chips work as good or even better then Intel ones WRT AMD's numbering scheme....

I'll buy AMD anyday before Intel.... with one exception... (untill now)... Centrino or Pentium-M.
thats really good chip and i think it gave Intel spinners lots of trouble to explain how 1.8 P-M is working better then P IV - 3-4 or more.....

They dug their hole by themselves..... now lets get some pop corn and enjoy the show.

popcrn.gif

silence said:
Since AMD broke 1Ghz, Intel went berserk on clock speed, nothing else mattered and now they are being wiped by AMD in every possible scenario.....
Except for the "running a profitable business" one... ;)

geo said:
Good. Slap 'em harder, AMD. Get 'em mad. Make 'em embarrassed. Make 'em grit their teeth until their fillings crack.

Good for the consumer as far as I'm concerned.

Exactly. I want Intel's product line to get back to the P3/440BX level of quality.

But we also need AMD to survive through the good Intel chips, so they both keep on their toes.

wireframe said:
Except for the "running a profitable business" one... ;)

AMD is out of red..... Opterons are main reason.

Currentlly AMD _IS_ running "profitable business" ;)
and they are getting more wins in laptop area, even Dell is selling their CPUs..... and in server area anyone with one kind of brain will go AMD.

AMD made great steps forward and took lots of risk, specially when then decided not to follow Intel with Ghz madness, but to stay on course and deliver _PERFORMANCE_.
Current event prove that AMD took the right path.... its not AMD who is changing their roadmaps every 5 days..... its not AMD who had to shuffle whole company..... its not AMD who is losing on performence....

dont take me wrong, i am not some sort of AMD zealot, if i had to buy notebook, it would prolly be P-M..... AMD is doing better then ever......

and competitions is good.... without AMD we would prolly be running 2 Ghz pentiums with 128 kb L2 cche....

I'm not talking about AMD. I know they are doing better and are posting in black ink. I am just saying that if you look at the Pentium 4 from a perspective of profits it has been very good. Just like with cars, stereos, and what-have-you, it's not always the best product that makes the most money.

I think Intel's only failure, the way they see it, is that frequency scaling failed for them well short of the mark. The Pentium 4 was a "brilliant" way of taking pressure off the architects and putting it in the realm of the fabs. It's saying "we're done here....make it go faster." Unfortunately, they hit a brick wall.

If you want to look at the bigger picture, and wear a tinfoil hat for an hour, consider that Intel is under constant scrutiny for being a monopoly. They cannot afford to have AMD fail. It would be difficult to convince a court you are not enjoying an unfair advantage with a bunch of dead competitors around.

I like AMD and I am currently using one of their processors. However, I am not talking processors. I am talking business. I also don't hate NetBurst as much as the average person on the Web seems to. I find the design very interesting, but that's a whole other matter and probably a book or two. ;)

wireframe said:
I'm not talking about AMD. I know they are doing better and are posting in black ink. I am just saying that if you look at the Pentium 4 from a perspective of profits it has been very good. Just like with cars, stereos, and what-have-you, it's not always the best product that makes the most money.

thats called brand..... i was in one computer shop where sales-idiot (no other word for that) explained to future customer that they should take 2.2 Ghz Celeron instead of 2.0 Pentium, cause Celeron has higher speed..... i had urge to strable him there, but i got my satisfaction when i asked for motherboard.... i just asked for few features and _NONE_ of those idiots in the shop could tell me if thy have any mobo's like that....

all i asked was Nforce 2 with Soundstorm......:rolleyes:

Back