PS3 Controller Rumor (Updated)

scooby_dooby said:
You have to be kidding! That controller is terrrible...what a useless analogue stick. N64 was far superior.

No, it wasnt as good as the N64s, but the rest of the controller was far better. And no matter what, the analogue sticks on Nintendo's game pads have felt and controlled much better for me.

I agree, GC's controller is actually my favorite this gen, but it seems a love/hate affair with that thing, because there are a lot of people that really can't stand it.

Has any developer even held the batarang?

Personally, I think it's stupid that even with all the negative responses the controller has been getting that Sony isn't going to redesign it. But then, why do they go through all that damage control ("conceptual design" etc.) if they were not aware of the dislike of the controller, or ignorant of it.

jvd said:
I don't like the fins on the old sony controller and i really don't like the way they look on the new one .

Thats just me the fins allways suck , they dig into my palms
I like the fins as they kind of fit my palms as I grip the controller. They're a little small for my hands though and as a result my hands get tired after playing button pressing intensive games for extended periods of time. If they fit my hands worse than they do I could definitely see how others wouldn't like them. But aren't they better than back in the day with NES and SNES controllers that you basically held onto with your fingertips?

I can't really comment as i got my nes when i was 5 and my gensis when i was what 10 .

So really my hands were much smaller back then and not the hands of a 6'4 giant haha .

You know... it was bad enough having to deal with Nintendo and the endless speculation about their controller for their next system. Now we have to deal with Sony doing the same darn thing? Sigh... when will the Japanese learn...

For Sony's sake I sure hope they are not planning on copying Nintendo's controller concept... and considering the trend the Japanese have been on of late, it could very well be even worse than that or even the "Bananarang"...

Stick with the "Dual Shock" design...

Well dual shock needs to be redesigned so i'm guessing they went and did teh whole controller .

Remember they lost the lawsuit and now have to pay a crazy amount of money and pull the controllers off the shelves (But i think the apeal has prevented the pulling of controllers for the time being

jvd said:
Well dual shock needs to be redesigned so i'm guessing they went and did teh whole controller .

Remember they lost the lawsuit and now have to pay a crazy amount of money and pull the controllers off the shelves (But i think the apeal has prevented the pulling of controllers for the time being

The Dual Shock design is still a very good design, only recently been upsurped by the XBox360 controller as the best controller design to date. Sony really needs to swallow their pride and settle their lawsuit with Immersion and get a license so they can continue to make Dual Shock design controllers and continue to use force feeback on those controllers.

Anyway... Sony did lose the case the ruling was that all infriging products was to be pulled from retail and a voluntary recall is to be issued on those products which would include all 1st party Dual Shock controllers (Both PS1 and PS2 dual shocks) and all 1st party games that utilized force feedback in the game and they would be prevented from selling any products that contain force feedback features. This ruling is currently on stay pending an appeal by Sony, but this would be crippling if they lose the appeal. Too early to say which way that case is going, but at this point I think Sony is just trying give themselves as much time as possible so they can get their next system out without force feedback features so they would not lose AS much than if the infridgement remedy was to be enforced at the point that they lost the case to begin with.

It WOULD of been cheaper had Sony settled and got a license for force feedback as this is what Microsoft decided to do (and actually bought a part of Immersion as part of their settlement).

i don't mind the ps2 controllers, the dual shoulder button are cool, the controllers little too small though. Lack of triggers is kinda lame, and the sticks should be offset, it's the only way to go.

the fact that sony or any dev working on a ps3 titel never use the batarang controller is already saying much.

I'm more for the theory that sony has put up a decoy controller to wait what nintendo was coming up and launch their new controllerdesgin in the coming months.
imagine a slighlty different DUALSHOCK2 with a minitrackball for FPS and gyro inside .

There is/was nothing wrong with the PS3 controller. Oh, beside the fact that it looks like a dildo. That isn't really a problem though. My only complaint about the dual shock is that it is too short, and my hands tend to slip off the bottom. The PS3 controller solves that perfectly by keeping the same button arrangement and adding length vertically to better support your hands. I hope they keep SOMETHING similar to that design if they are indeed changing it.

My only real concern is that they not make it too small (the X360 controller is a tad too small...)

The Xbox Duke controller was pretty comfortable. But most people couldn't get past the look and design of it regardless of how it felt. I just fear Sony made that mistake.

Serenity Painted Death said:
There is/was nothing wrong with the PS3 controller...the fact that it looks like a dildo...isn't really a problem... My only real concern is that they not make it too small.

Hmmmm...

I still don't understand why people have such a negative view of the new Playstation controller. I don't think anybody here has actually played with one and I haven't read any previews of it where a respectable source places their negative opinion on it for everyone to echo. I think it looks quite good. It looks sleek and modern. I am no expert on gaming pads, however, but I think I would buy this one based on looks and then possibly hate it for other reasons. In other words, what I have seen of it I have a positive bias.

The Playstation 2 controller was the first console controller I had held in my hands since the NES days. Before that it was the plain joystick of the Atari 2600. It's not a bad device at all. Its flaws in FPS games (like Killzone) I can forgive it because such a device is, in my opinion, totally wrong for that type of game anyways.

Another thing I rarely see mentioned is how battery life and recharging will play a part in "loving your game controller" this next generation. This, to me, would be extremely important. I don't play for hours and hours on end so I think battery life may not be a concern, but one thing that interests me, and this is about all wireless controllers (PS3, Xbox 360, Revolution, et al), is if they come with or have the possibility to be complemented with a recharging station. I think something like the resting stands used for wireless headphones would be nice. A little rack where you can hang your controllers to recharge while keeping it neat and tidy. Is this on the books or what? Are these already available for third party controllers (Logitech or other)?

Perhaps somone could shed some light on what typical battery life is with these remote controllers with vibration feedback. Am I right in thinking that even with vibration on you should be able to get a good four hours of gaming without a recharge and without a battery that will significantly increase weight of the device?

Last edited by a moderator:
aldo said:
Curious as to where this rumor was generated. I'm sure it wasn't one of LB's rumors, his would be more along the line of 'PS3 remotes bring down passenger jets'. :LOL:

Have you lived under a rock for the last few weeks?

Everyone knows PS3 controllers will be used to control space probes on Mars and comets, as well as satellites. Only downside is that the signal strength will be so strong (it has to get quite far) it will cause cancer.

www.PS3causescancer.net

!!!!! The government took the site down!!!! This is dictatorship!!

Two hours with vibra should be no stretching it at all, mine can vibrate tens of hours (50 by manufacturer's specs) on one charge and it's running on regular alkaline batteries, don't see why the PS3 controller, if ewuipped with proprietary battery wouldn't last longer.

rabidrabbit said:
Two hours with vibra should be no stretching it at all, mine can vibrate tens of hours (50 by manufacturer's specs) on one charge and it's running on regular alkaline batteries, don't see why the PS3 controller, if ewuipped with proprietary battery wouldn't last longer.
Yeah, sorry, I wrote two when I meant four. (edited). Don't ask... :smile:

My main question is actually if keeping this battery life high will make the controller uncomfortably heavy.

PS, mind telling me which controller it is that you are using?

"One, two, FIVE!!!" - King Arthur

For ecample the 1800mAh battery that's inside the PSP, I think similatr would be enough for PS3 controller, and that battery weighs pratically nothing.
And reportedly, the xbox360 controller is very light with the batteries.
So no, it should not be heavy at all.

Edit: I use the Logitech wireless controller for PS2, the first model that came out some two years ago. Or actually I don't use it really, I still prefer the original Dual Shock 2. The cross directional controller and the O, X, square... buttons, especially the cross controller are quite lousy in that controller.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back