G70 memory controler

My guess: the wires around the outside are for data delivery only. The short wires (to the memory controller in the center of the chip) would be for addresses/commands only...

Also, IIRC, long wires are generally thicker than short ones and occupy the upper metal layers of the chip. So it might be that the wires around the outside are simply obscuring stuff underneath them on the die shot. I could be way off though - can an EE comment?

AFAIK that should be the wire bonding area where wires from the package are attached to die. They are quite often the feature that defines diesize, ie. when someone talks about being pad-limited it means that with the amounts pins you have, you cannot make a chip smaller than x.

fellix said:
And the border wiring around the die should be the ring-bus.

I wouldn't look for any physical hints as for where the bus is. It is somewhere in between all those layers, what you see here is just the "top view". It is rather unprobable that it's literally a ring running along the outer boundaries of the chip IMHO.

Dave this is a Question for you. I believe I read that Samsung has sent samples of Gdd4 to both nvidia and ATi some time ago is this true? I also read that the reason the 7800GTX512 are offered in such small batches is that samsung is slow in delivering the memory for this card and nvidia is getting all of this memory. I find this extremely hard to believe.:D

Turtle 1 said:
Dave this is a Question for you. I believe I read that Samsung has sent samples of Gdd4 to both nvidia and ATi some time ago is this true? I also read that the reason the 7800GTX512 are offered in such small batches is that samsung is slow in delivering the memory for this card and nvidia is getting all of this memory. I find this extremely hard to believe.:D

Why is hard to believe when this memory (K4J52324QC-BJ11) hasn't been out for very long, think it was only 3 or 4 months ago (might even be later), saw one report in Sept when it was announced for mass production.

GDDr4 was sent out this month. I don't think it was sent out before. It was planned for early 2005 late 2004, but never happened.

http://www.eetasia.com/ART_8800380718_499486_151e4f6f_no.HTM

need member login sorry
Samsung ships 256Mb, GDDR4 device for testing
Posted: 07 Nov 2005
Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd has shipped a graphics double data rate fourth generation (GDDR4), 256Mb device to major graphics card manufacturers for testing.

The GDDR4 memory device processes gaming and video images at 2.5Gbps or 10GBps, which is equal to transmitting 10 hours of DVD quality video. The fastest graphics memory to this point has been limited to a speed of 1.6Gbps.

As games and video become increasingly high resolution and encompass more content, graphics-DRAM data processing needs to improve at a similar pace. But when data travels between the graphics chip and the resident system, there's typically an inherent transmission delay that has limited the transmission speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back