Anandtech - Inside the XBox 360 article

http://www.anandtech.com/systems/showdoc.aspx?i=2610&p=4

I guess next month we will have an anandtech Tutorial on how to build the chip and place it in the console.

lol

And the guys still insist on saying Xenos should perform as a 24 Pipe R420...jesus, even Ati said in traditional numbers, it would perform as good as a 32 pipe card. Why insist so damm much? I guess that if you keep wishing really hard it may actually come true hein!? lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Not that I'm overly interested in this article, but a brief perusal has me notice this gem...
Not only does the Xbox 360's CPU feature 3 cores, but each core is capable of executing two threads at the same time, making the CPU capable of simultaneously executing 6 threads. Unfortunately, most titles appear to be only using one or two threads, with the remaining threads being used for things like audio encoding/decoding, real-time decompression of game data off of the DVD-ROM and video decoding.
"On a similar note Cell will only ever be using one SPE at a time, the other 6 remaining SPE's being used for audio, data decompression, video encoding, phsyics and AI simulation and on-the-fly object creation and animation."

Anandtech must have a wierd definition for what 'being used' means.

Shifty Geezer said:
Not that I'm overly interested in this article, but a brief perusal has me notice this gem...

"On a similar note Cell will only ever be using one SPE at a time, the other 6 remaining SPE's being used for audio, data decompression, video encoding, phsyics and AI simulation and on-the-fly object creation and animation."

:???: Err... Ok, so Cell will be using only one SPE at a time, while the other 6 are... being used...?

Anandtech and Ars both have lost their senses when it comes to these console architectures, so though I like the sites in general still, the fact is they don't have much to offer in terms of contributing to the console discussion.

That said though, I feel the real news here is how easily they dissasembled the system, in stark contrast really to Microsoft's previous bold claims.

london-boy said:
:???: Err... Ok, so Cell will be using only one SPE at a time, while the other 6 are... being used...?
In case it wasn't clear, the bit in speechmarks was me paraphrasing the Anandtech talk of XeCPU having six threads but only using one or two of them, while the rest remained presumably unused decoding audio and decompressing data and stuff.

pretty obvious what he meant. They are only REALLY using 2 threads. The other 4 are being used for trivial tasks that probably only take up tiny a percentage of the available power.

I don't see how you can do an true assessment of the situation without mentioning COD2 and the team at IW, the first team to my knowledge to really spread the game over 3 cores. And look at the results.

Vysez said:
Science fact: A Thread title can turn a discussion into an intelligent an educational exchange, or into a "storm made of fecal matter".

How? Simple, let's take an example:

An Intel paper presents the performances of the CPU used in Infinium Labs Phantom. Let's say that this paper shows that under certain circumstances, the real world floating point performance of the CPU is around 5Gflops. *cough*

A bad, very bad, thread title would be:

OMG, Phantom CPU = 5Gflops lol!!!!!?!1??

Or

Official: the PS2 > the Phantom (6.2Gflops VS 5Gflops)!!!??!!

A thread like this should, and will, be locked on sight. Actually only for the, how can I say, colorful, punctuation the thread can be locked (Use only one question or exclamation mark, damn!).

The subject of this thread, the Intel paper, can legitimately be discussed, but because of the tabloid like sensationalist title, no good can come out of this. No good.

Yes there are rules.

Well they're in the donut shop right now it seems. ;)

Anyway you see that full-size DVD-ROM drive in there? Psssh, I knew ML was pricing that thing too high.

Incidently though, since halfway through my browsing this morning, I have since been unable to finishthe article or even to easily open it. Looks like they're under a crush of traffic and their bandwdth can't handle it with all of the images.

Just to make things clear, when you start reading a technological paper, news, review, just check one thing. The author.

In this case:
Author: Anand Lal Shimpi

Then, ask yourself why would you want to waste your time, this this. Just go read some bad emo goth poetry on a Good Charlotte fan page or some VGCats strips... Your time will be better spent like this (Well, I suggest you looking at the wall instead, but that's just me).

I'm kidding, of course, you have the right to respect Anand's site and opinion.
I'm saying this, before the 3D Tech forums guys jumps in (X360 pun not intended) and start arguing about Anand's site quality.
xbdestroya said:
Well they're in the donut shop right now it seems. ;)
Everyone of us can't be at the Donut Shop at the same time. It one of the rules. :p

About that, therealskywolf, please read the rules, the moderator that edited the title could had just as well locked or deleted the thread. ;)

Thread titles, especially in threads about other people writtings (Anand's, include. We're fair), should be as objective as possible. Or else, if the thread is oriented from the get go, no good discussion will never occur. The outcome will be nothing but flames or replies of complaisance.
Both are uninteresting, I think we can all agree about that.

Anand's views on Cell and Xenon simply boggle the mind. I tend to really like that site but some of the things said there about Cell and Xenon really leave me scratching my head more often than not.

in the motherboard i see 4 samsung ram chip (512Mbit each) but where are the 4 other ram chip for obtain 512MB ??

Back