Nomenclature Fight: 'GPU' VS 'VPU': GPU WIN?

Farid

Artist formely known as Vysez
Veteran
Supporter
It probably took me a while to remark that detail, but it seems that the Nvidia VS Ati match on 3D Graphical Accelerators nomenclature is finished.
And it seems that Nvidia won the WNF™ (World Nomenclature Federation) title.

Replay:

http://ati.com/companyinfo/press/pressreleases.html

Until recently Ati was strong on the ring as proven here:

http://apps.ati.com/ir/PressReleaseText.asp?compid=105421&releaseID=764450

About ATI Technologies

ATI Technologies Inc. is a world leader in the design and manufacture of innovative 3D graphics and digital media silicon solutions. An industry pioneer since 1985, ATI is the world's foremost visual processor unit (VPU) provider and is dedicated to deliver leading-edge performance solutions for the full range of PC and Mac desktop and notebook platforms, workstation, set-top and digital television, game console and handheld device markets. With 2004 revenues of US $2 billion, ATI has more than 3,200 employees in the Americas, Europe and Asia. ATI common shares trade on NASDAQ (ATYT) and the Toronto Stock Exchange (ATY).

But, it seems that it fell apart on the last round:

http://apps.ati.com/ir/PressReleaseText.asp?compid=105421&releaseID=764450

About ATI Technologies

ATI Technologies Inc. is the world leader in the design and manufacture of innovative 3D graphics and digital media silicon solutions. An industry pioneer since 1985, ATI is the world's foremost graphics processing unit (GPU) provider and is dedicated to delivering leading-edge performance solutions for the full range of PC and Mac desktop and notebook platforms, workstation, set-top and digital television, game console and handheld device markets. With fiscal 2005 revenues of approximately US $2.22 billion, ATI has more than 3,400 employees in the Americas, Europe and Asia. ATI common shares trade on NASDAQ (ATYT) and the Toronto Stock Exchange (ATY).

What can we conclude about that? That Ati is doomed?
Yes, I think that we can safetly and intelligently conclude that.

This thread is a an original: Vysez Useless Threads™

PS: There's probably sarcasm hidden somewhere in this thread!

Vysez said:
What can we conclude about that? That Ati is doomed?

Yes. When people ask for GPUs, and ATI only has VPUs to sell, sales will naturally fall dramatically. :cry:

I think the academia use GPU extensively and most analysts seem to categorize it as graphic processor segment too.

Google Search registers 4.1mill hits for GPU versus only 1.5mill for VPU.. Could it be said any more clearly?

_
K

well personally I liked VPU becuase Visual seemed to cover a broader range than the word Graphics but oh well. I'm not good at semantics and on the surface they probaly mean the same thing.

What about when we start doing GPGPU stuff? Not only is it no longer graphics, it's not neccesarily visual in any way either. What do we call it then? SPU*?

* Stuff Processing Unit

lets see what has a GPU been called in the past

Windows Accellerator
Video Chip
Craphics chip
Graphics chispet

I think Video or Graphics processing unit is just dandy

Bring back Graphics Chip. Fewer letters to type and there's no chance of someone misshearing "CPU"

Simon F said:
Bring back Graphics Chip. Fewer letters to type and there's no chance of someone misshearing "CPU"

That's GameCube ;p

But I think we use Graphic Chip rather often anyway.

Back