Shortages till april?

Why is everyone in such a tussle to get one on day one....

Console launches are so overrated...like any sort of instant gratification.

I say good things come to those who wait (like price drops, larger libraries of games to choose from, and not having to fight over the darn thing with a 12 year old).

I say while you wait, I get to spend months or even years enjoying my 360.

And if you break it down on a cost per hour basis, I doubt your price cuts are really saving you money. Sure I may spend a hundred or two more than you on the hardware, but I'll probably get a hundred or two more hours of gaming out of it too.

Maybe I'm out of the loop but I'm not feeling the hype for the 360. I doubt every place will be sold out through April unless there's a severe shortage of consoles.

I said in may that preorders were being taken and to go preorder one asap if you wanted it .

So once again .

I told u so !!!!!!;)

Wait here you go , http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19703&highlight=gamestop+taking+preorders may 12th

and here i tell u we are on the second shipment

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20314&highlight=gamestop+taking+preorders may 28th

For those of you that preordered kameo you will see that the message says may 23rd is what they are guarnteeing up too .

So i wasn't far off :)

Told u so

ROG27 said:
Why is everyone in such a tussle to get one on day one....

Console launches are so overrated...like any sort of instant gratification.

I say good things come to those who wait (like price drops, larger libraries of games to choose from, and not having to fight over the darn thing with a 12 year old).
Didn't get the pre-order in time, huh?

.Sis

I find this funny.

MS wanted to launch first to build a strong enough user base to go against the PS3,then they say they will do a world wide launch,which mean one shortly after the other from US to Japan to EU.

And now they don't had consoles to sell until april for walk in costumers?

Then why release ealy any way,the PS3 will be probably out before the shortage is even over,not to say that MS has not confirm pre-orders numbers which is mighty odd,do to the fact that by this time on 2001 in the same time frame thery were already saying over 300,000 pre-orders.

Now there is a shortage without official numbers of how many pre-orders they had.

This sound more and more like it is to boost hype and sales.

Thegameman said:
I find this funny.

MS wanted to launch first to build a strong enough user base to go against the PS3,then they say they will do a world wide launch,which mean one shortly after the other from US to Japan to EU.

Then why release ealy any way,the PS3 will be probably out before the shortage is even over,not to say that MS has not confirm pre-orders numbers which is mighty odd,do to the fact that by this time on 2001 in the same time frame thery were already saying over 300,000 pre-orders.

Now there is a shortage without official numbers of how many pre-orders they had.

I don't get your logic. Some stores won't be done filling pre-orders till April. How does this equate to "not selling any units"?

MS still seems to think they'll move 4.5 million to 5.5 million units by June. And they expect to push through 3 million units in the first 90 days.

This would seem to be exactly why they would launch early. Unless you believe Sony will have stock piled 4.5 to 5.5 million units and ship all of them on PS3 Launch Day?

.Sis

find this funny.

within one month units will be out along with games in every retailer in the usa , europe and japan . Demo kiosks are out , devs are making money , ms is making money and people are seeing it and wanting it and are talking to thier friends about how they can't get it and it builds hype .

there will be plenty of core units for walkins and the cores will sell .

However you do understand that ms is sold out of units from now till most likely january with some stores sold out till april . That means there is a huge demand for thier system and ms is basicly selling as much as they can make .

Would the same be true if they launched with sony ? Also what would they gain by sitting on hardware and games for another 10 months or so before sony launches in the states ?

This way people who own the systems are buying games which means more dev support and more money for ms , those who have the systems have thier friends over that don't have the systems and are getting them interested by seeing it and playing it .

Why would they be confirming preorders ? I'm sure we will see numbers after launch. They want people to try adn get units , it creates hype . Not only that but i'm sure with a world wide launch thier numbers will be lower as they told some stores (others didn't listen) to stop preorders back in sept .

As for the ps3 , mabye it will be out by the time shortages are over. However so what. Ms would have sold all they could make up to that point and when the ps3 launches they are sure to have shortages also or most likely launch in one area at a time . Which means ms who no longer has shortages are able to keep selling units . Production costs would have also shrunk as they now have 5+ million units made .

Mabye, but looks like its just ms taking a page out of sonys playbook .

X B O X 3 6 0

- Microsoft informed the shareholders that they will deliver approximately 1,098,200 units of Xbox 360 for the US launch on November 22, and 20% are Core Systems. Most of the shipment will be delivered to Walmart and Best Buy branches, due to the fact that they are the official sponsors for launch. Microsoft expects to sell 3 million units of Xbox 360 in the first 3 months.

- Microsoft is planning to ship 500,000 units of Xbox 360 to UK for the launch on December 2.

http://www.the-magicbox.com/gaming.htm

ps2xboxcube said:
X B O X 3 6 0

- Microsoft informed the shareholders that they will deliver approximately 1,098,200 units of Xbox 360 for the US launch on November 22, and 20% are Core Systems. Most of the shipment will be delivered to Walmart and Best Buy branches, due to the fact that they are the official sponsors for launch. Microsoft expects to sell 3 million units of Xbox 360 in the first 3 months.

- Microsoft is planning to ship 500,000 units of Xbox 360 to UK for the launch on December 2.

http://www.the-magicbox.com/gaming.htm

Well, color me a bit confused. The Best Buy allocation info shows roughly ~50,000 consoles being in stores for the system launch on the 22nd, so that still leaves over a million consoles for...? I mean when they say 'most of the shipment,' what do they mean? That would mean over 600,00 units if we take it literaly, and is that then 550,000 for the US Wal-Mart's?

Gamestop/eb is about 4k strong . Each getting 20+ units at launch thats 80k . Walmart should get at least what bestbuy is getting .

Then target , sears , toys r us , compusa , frys , gamecrazy and tons of other stores that i don't know about will get units .

ALso don't forget compusa.com , bestbuy.com , frys.com , gamestop.com , ebgames.com and whatever other sites .

jvd said:
Gamestop/eb is about 4k strong . Each getting 20+ units at launch thats 80k . Walmart should get at least what bestbuy is getting .

Then target , sears , toys r us , compusa , frys , gamecrazy and tons of other stores that i don't know about will get units .

ALso don't forget compusa.com , bestbuy.com , frys.com , gamestop.com , ebgames.com and whatever other sites .

Ya I dunno, the guy that posted the bestbuy info claims Bestbuy is only getting about 43k units, he also suggested that it was 15% of the total and walmart 17%.

http://forums.xbox.com/290183/ShowPost.aspx

If microsoft is claiming 1.1 million, they are gonna come way short if those numbers are true.

well if his claims are right thats 32%

Gamestop and eb both getting about 20units per store would be 80k units or almost double what bestbuy is getting so that be close to another 30% , so we'd be at 62%ish

That leaves compusa , target , sears , frys , circit city , and other places to finish the last 38%

Powderkeg said:
I say while you wait, I get to spend months or even years enjoying my 360.

And if you break it down on a cost per hour basis, I doubt your price cuts are really saving you money. Sure I may spend a hundred or two more than you on the hardware, but I'll probably get a hundred or two more hours of gaming out of it too.

I have to disagree with you there. I am usually a "second tier" adopter. I'll wait until there's two or three killer games before purchasing a machine. I've only seen one machine that had a "must have" launch, and that was the DC.

What's the point of playing the same handful of games in the first six months of the machines life? Enjoy the great games still being made for PS2 or PC which are more than enjoyable.

That and the fact that launch machines usually are usually matched in build-quality levels by Korean cars. :cry:

jvd said:
well if his claims are right thats 32%

Gamestop and eb both getting about 20units per store would be 80k units or almost double what bestbuy is getting so that be close to another 30% , so we'd be at 62%ish

That leaves compusa , target , sears , frys , circit city , and other places to finish the last 38%

Well but those numbers can only work if the US launch allocation for the 22nd is roughly ~300,000 consoles, which is a full third below the stated estimates in the other post. So one or both of these sets of numbers is off the mark.

xbdestroya said:
Well but those numbers can only work if the US launch allocation for the 22nd is roughly ~300,000 consoles, which is a full third below the stated estimates in the other post. So one or both of these sets of numbers is off the mark.

true

PARANOiA said:
I have to disagree with you there. I am usually a "second tier" adopter. I'll wait until there's two or three killer games before purchasing a machine. I've only seen one machine that had a "must have" launch, and that was the DC.

Your position is rendered invalid the moment you suggest Halo was not a "must have" game.

As for me, I've got PGR3, PDZ, Kameo and Condemned comming on launch day with Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, Gears of War, and Ninety Nine Nights coming within 6 months after lanch. That's 7 games within the first 6 months.

Now, let's say the average game gives about 20 hyours of gameplay. That's 140 hours of gaming total. On a dollar per hour breakdown, my launch day 360 only costs $2.86 per hour for that first 6 months.

Now, figure out how many hours of gaming you'll miss out on by waiting, multiply by $2.86 per hour, and see if you are really saving as much as you think.

The only thing you are "saving" is yourself from many hours of happy gaming. On a per-hour basis you'll spend more because you'll be gaming less.

Powderkeg said:
The only thing you are "saving" is yourself from many hours of happy gaming. On a per-hour basis you'll spend more because you'll be gaming less.

How do you figure?

If a given game has 20 hours of gameplay would it not have that same 20 hours of gameplay a year from now?

AlphaWolf said:
How do you figure?

If a given game has 20 hours of gameplay would it not have that same 20 hours of gameplay a year from now?

Yes, but how many games will I play within the next year? If you wait, you'll play none.

And a year from now, when you play that game, you'll have a grand total of 20 hours of gaming on your 360. Me, I'll be in the 200-300 hour range by then, easy.

And how much do you think the price will drop in a year? Any at all? I'm willing to bet that MS won't drop the price a dime unless the PS3 is cheaper.

Back