Next Gen GTA game will be PS3 exclusive

Hardknock said:
Did you read my entire post? I stated if Xbox 360 winds up being the dominate system. It would inevitable effect rockstar's sales, and open up the possibility of something else taking it's place on the 360.

Well this supposed exclusive deal is time exclusive. So, if the 360 does become the dominate console GTA4 would be on it too. No problem for R* here.

mckmas8808 said:
Well this supposed exclusive deal is time exclusive. So, if the 360 does become the dominate console GTA4 would be on it too. No problem for R* here.

Ports from other systems do not generally do well after so long. Just look at sales from GTA on Xbox in this gen. Also look at RE4's sales after having debuted on GC almost a year ago.

Stillmatic said:
The source states they'll be announcing a 8 month exclusive deal, not full exclusivity. So i'd say it'll play out like this gen, PS3 first, then we'll see ports some months after.

Assuming this news is fact.

Phh... That's gonna be tough.

If Rockstar devs for the PS3 and uses the Blu-Ray to some decent capacity, a X360 version will be either heavily compressed or split across a few DVDs.

Well there are already a bunch of gta clones coming to the xbox 360 most likely before rockstar will have a ps3 version ready.

So its most likely that rockstar will end letting competition fill that gap

typoEDR said:
Phh... That's gonna be tough.

If Rockstar devs for the PS3 and uses the Blu-Ray to some decent capacity, a X360 version will be either heavily compressed or split across a few DVDs.

Why would you expect a gta game to push the boundrys of hardware when gta 3 to sa didn't

hey69 said:
i believe it did. not much but it did push the limits.
its one fugly game compared to other releases .

Not to mention that games like this will limit the space needed as such large worlds will need to reuse texturs as often as possible even with 512 megs of ram

Many of you lack vision. This news is akin to a 1999-2000 announcement that Tomb Raider will be xbox1 exclusive. There will be plenty of GTA clones on both consoles and gta4 will be a good/great game also buts it's the new franchises that use 100% of the silicon to do something that wasn't possible the generation before that will decide who sells the most systems.

Hardknock said:
Ports from other systems do not generally do well after so long. Just look at sales from GTA on Xbox in this gen. Also look at RE4's sales after having debuted on GC over a year ago.

True. So, it looks like R* may be putting their chips behind the PS3. Nothing really wrong about this. Sony has proven to be pretty good at the video game business. Maybe so monies exchanged hands to make this happen.

If moneyhats are apart of this then it's good for Sony and R*. Sony gets a timed exclusive which people will flock to, while R* gets to get money up front for this timed exclusive yet also make money on the 360 version when that's released too.

Don't forget about these quotes from R* either.

The danger is currently the storage medium (DVD), and one we thing we’re all praying for in the next round of hardware is that they don’t just go, ‘It’s DVD again’. We’ve done some clever stuff with compressing it, but we were virtually full on the disc with Vice City – this time we’re overfilling the disc to the max.â€

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=56025

R* could put 400 songs on the next-gen game and the people will love them for it. They could put hundreds apon hundreds of hours of audio in the next-gen game. And what if R* puts 16 GBs worth of data in a GTA4 game? Would that mean GTA4 could be a 3 disc Xbox 360 game?
fragend013.gif

R* could put 400 songs on the next-gen game and the people will love them for it. They could put hundreds apon hundreds of hours of audio in the next-gen game. And what if R* puts 16 GBs worth of data in a GTA4 game? Would that mean GTA4 could be a 3 disc Xbox 360 game?
fragend013.gif

400 songs of thier choice which i may not like or using the xbox to stream music of my choosing ?

As for data I really odn't see them using 16gbs of data .

San andreas only used 5 gigs or so installed on my hardrive. How is it that vice city filled up a dvd ? They talking about single layer ?

Anyway the xbox 360 has over 30 types of compresion (i believe its over 30) that were most likely not there on the xbox and esp not on the ps2 .

They can use 3Dc compresion for normal maps , dxtc for other textures then there is that compression for audio built into the south bridge and i'm sure other compresions we don't know about .

The ps2 didn't use compression for its textures which will explain the size problems they had wit hthe ps2 versions of the games .

jvd said:
400 songs of thier choice which i may not like or using the xbox to stream music of my choosing ?

I like to buy complete games that attempt to immerse me in a complete experiences, such as the 1980s in Vice City. For some bizzare reason I don't think it would have been quite the same experience with Will Smith, Kanye West or Ricky Martin's new shit.

jvd said:
As for data I really odn't see them using 16gbs of data .

I wouldn't expect that you would... Nor is there a single form of data compression that you mentioned which will miraculously give a developer the freedom Blu-Ray will (Shannon... what an asshole.. heh); and PlayStation2 doesn't use any form of data compression? Never ever?

jvd said:
Why would you expect a gta game to push the boundrys of hardware when gta 3 to sa didn't
well its pretty much a given they will have to top Saints Row in order for non gta fans to atleast have interest in it, and SR is already pretty impressive imo.

and remember bandai? they didnt really push the hardware either last gen...but looks like they pushing things now. ;)
http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/748/748465/vids_1.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Vince said:
I like to buy complete games that attempt to immerse me in a complete experiences, such as the 1980s in Vice City. For some bizzare reason I don't think it would have been quite the same experience with Will Smith, Kanye West or Ricky Martin's new shit.

I wouldn't expect that you would... Nor is there a single form of data compression that you mentioned which will miraculously give a developer the freedom Blu-Ray will (Shannon... what an asshole.. heh); and PlayStation2 doesn't use any form of data compression? Never ever?

Rockstar had 8GB of freedom last gen and only managed to need ~2.8GB for the XBOX version. And the game looked like ass.

What's limiting their 'freedom' is not disc space, it's timelines and budgets. Remove the audo from GTA: SA and you're left with a < 2GB game!

Also, Rockstar's will be looking to maximise on their investment so the game will be designed with the X360's DVD drive in mind since it's the lowest common denominator.

I don't see why GTA4 needs to compete with Saints Row graphically, GTA has always been crap graphically but made up for it in spades with gameplay. Saint's Row probably won't touch it as far as gameplay goes.

With all that said, it would be crappy if this is true, but an 8month delay would be ok, I don't really believe it though, they'll probably make more money releasing on both platforms than whatever Sony or MS will offer them to buy them out. Then again...maybe a timed exclusive doesn't effect the bottom line sales very much....

scooby_dooby said:
Rockstar had 8GB of freedom last gen and only managed to need ~2.8GB for the XBOX version. And the game looked like ass.
If that's true then... ouch. Which GTA game was this? 3, VC or SA?

scooby_dooby said:
I don't see why GTA4 needs to compete with Saints Row graphically
Because saints row is pretty much the biggest gta clone ever made, right down to the hud and gameplay style. how would it look if gta released a game that looked like ass compared to saints row with similar gameplay? i dunno about you, but i think most non-gta fans would choose saints row. it just makes me beleive we will probably see the best gta yet with whole new mechanics and definately improved graphics(maybe better or equal to saints row). this is just my opinion/theory. sure hype alone will make it a pure seller, but im talking realistically when it comes down to comparison, the reviews wont lie.

scooby_dooby said:
Saint's Row probably won't touch it as far as gameplay goes.
considering none of us have played it yet, or any recent builds; i cant really comment on this.
but hearing from the devs they seem to be trying to go past what gta did.

im sure rockstar will make a quality product. im a big fan of their games. (warriors, gta, smuglers run, midnight club, max payne, etc.)

Inane_Dork said:

San Andreas.

"Because saints row is pretty much the biggest gta clone ever made, right down to the hud and gameplay style. how would it look if gta released a game that looked like ass compared to saints row with similar gameplay? i dunno about you, but i think most non-gta fans would choose saints row."

Well my poit is there has been many GTA clones this gen with better GFX and they were almost all total flops. It's gameplay, rockstar's unique sense of humour, and their abilitiy to totally nail a cultural era that makes their games special. So I don't really see them being to worried about being 'better' graphically than Saint's Row, unless saint['s row can also match their gameplay which no other game has been able to manage to-date.

As for appealing to non-GTA fans, after the last 3 games if you aren't a GTA fan now I don't think you'll ever be.

Inane_Dork said:

that was all of them, and gta3 on the pc atleast, is less than 1gig without the audio and vicecity is ~1gig without the audio

The reason Sony had the exclusive before was because they game them a deal on the licences for the music(atleast that's what I heard), probably the same type of deal

scooby_dooby said:
Well my poit is there has been many GTA clones this gen with better GFX and they were almost all total flops. It's gameplay, rockstar's unique sense of humour, and their abilitiy to totally nail a cultural era that makes their games special. So I don't really see them being to worried about being 'better' graphically than Saint's Row, unless saint['s row can also match their gameplay which no other game has been able to manage to-date.
there have been many gta clones, but none even come remotely close to the style of saints row compared to gta has. name one. maybe you havent seen the videos of saints row?, it plays EXACTLY like gta. (with the addition of better graphics, physics, and other mechanics ofcourse) if someone told me the game was titled gta:next gen or somthing i would probably totally believe them after watching the SR vids.

but yeah to be fair, rockstar has that specific style to their gta titles that cant really be immatated so i see what your talking about capturing the era into a realistic feeling enviroment.

scooby_dooby said:
As for appealing to non-GTA fans, after the last 3 games if you aren't a GTA fan now I don't think you'll ever be.
thats true but im saying im sure rockstar will bring new things to the table this time around that will make the non gta fans think again.

we will just have to wait and see.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back