PS3 Spec change possibility?

Titanio said:
Also, that room looks suitably "plotting to take over the world"-ish :p

Pity you didn't catch the whole thing! :(

ken8bh.png

The room had a pretty nice A/V setup in it, the end of the program was Ken with the system, also showed him sat on a white couch smiling while playing a game, I couldn't tell what it was though. :(

I'll keep an eye out if it shows again.

mckmas8808 said:
Did you hear anything that he was talking about?

Nope. ;(

Last edited by a moderator:
Pozer said:
Any chance we may see sony go to 1gig ram, or even 256 rambus + 512 ddr (756 total) or even 2 cells.

I just don't see the ps3 having the same upperhand technology-wise on the x360 that the ps2 had over the Dreamcast. Mostly the doubling of ram, 16 for the dc compared to 32 for the ps2.

Here the way I see things unfolding for the PS3.

It will launch towards the end of 2006.

I suspect the final PS3 CELL CPU will be dual core fabbed at .65 nm. It will contain 2 PPE's and 16 SPU's at 4 Gigahertz. The RSX GPU will have Rambus XDR2 (microthreading memory) with a 128 bit controller. It will also be fabbed at .65 nm and have at least 32 megabytes of eDRAM.

The gamepad will have some new type of features like Nintendo's Revolution. Gyro-scopes or whatever.

Sony will continue to re-write the rules of how the console business works like they did with the PS2. The cost will be higher than than traditionally launched consoles, but the increased multi-media firepower will be marketed effectivley to consummers.

They will market the hell out of 1080p for numerous reasons. Blu-Ray will have an easier time supporting 1080p compared to HD-DVD because the capacity per layer is higher. All the new high-end TV's from Sony/Toshiba that have "CELL" will probably target 1080p. Toshiba's 50 inch SED certainly will achieve 1080P, and that is the most likely place Toshiba will place CELL to start off with. Also since Xbox 360 targets 720p, they can hype the PS3 targets 1080p.

Vysez said:
Yep, that's correct, both the EE and the GS had a significant speed bump after the initial spec release (Not sure about how much the GS clock was bumped, though).

Well color me surprised. I never knew that.

Brimstone said:

I suspect the final PS3 CELL CPU will be dual core fabbed at .65 nm. It will contain 2 PPE's and 16 SPU's at 4 Gigahertz. The RSX GPU will have Rambus XDR2 (microthreading memory) with a 128 bit controller. It will also be fabbed at .65 nm and have at least 32 megabytes of eDRAM.

The gamepad will have some new type of features like Nintendo's Revolution. Gyro-scopes or whatever.

Sony will continue to re-write the rules of how the console business works like they did with the PS2. The cost will be higher than than traditionally launched consoles, but the increased multi-media firepower will be marketed effectivley to consummers.

They will market the hell out of 1080p for numerous reasons. Blu-Ray will have an easier time supporting 1080p compared to HD-DVD because the capacity per layer is higher. All the new high-end TV's from Sony/Toshiba that have "CELL" will probably target 1080p. Toshiba's 50 inch SED certainly will achieve 1080P, and that is the most likely place Toshiba will place CELL to start off with. Also since Xbox 360 targets 720p, they can hype the PS3 targets 1080p.

My sarcasm detector is in the shop so I can't tell if you are being serious or not. :LOL:

Shogmaster said:
Well color me surprised. I never knew that.

My sarcasm detector is in the shop so I can't tell if you are being serious or not. :LOL:

I hope, for his black square's sake, that is sacasm. Either that or his mind is at the shop with your sarcasm detector. :devilish:

Thread pruned from OT posts

PS3 specs change: A Possibility? Is the topic...

Not Will Sony deliver the gameplay promise made at E3!

I knew this topic was way too vague from the start, though. :devilish:

Brimstone said:

1080p will be a high-end, not a mass market product, for at least two more years. It's going to take high-def movies and games to get people to adopt 1080p displays.

And if PS3 adopts those specs by next year, it may also be limited to the high-end of the market, which would mean low market share.

Don't forget that Toshiba is going to push HD-DVD for those SED sets.

Not worth seeing. The KK coverage starts at about 12 mins in and lasts for 5ish minutes. It's very low-brow grunt-speak ('Cell is very powerful, even being called a supercomputer on a chip') with no new information, other than (for me) that the inital PlayStation project most of Sony was against the idea and KK had to push for PlayStation to be adopted. Otherwise it's just a token nod to upcoming technology. With some rather unnerving documentary music that adds a sense of the sinister.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shifty Geezer said:
Not worth seeing. The KK coverage starts at about 12 mins in and lasts for 5ish minutes. It's very low-brow grunt-speak ('Cell is very powerful, even being called a supercomputer on a chip') with no new information, other than (for me) that the inital PlayStation project most of Sony was against the idea and KK had to push for PlayStation to be adopted. Otherwise it's just a token nod to upcoming technology. With some rather unnerving documentary music that adds a sense of the sinister.
Well, it does show off the PS3 a bit more, physically. Looks smaller for some reason.

mckmas8808 said:
Wow now I have to rethink how big the PS3 will be in my hands. He's a small dude.

PS3 is a fairly small console, at least in present prototype form. I don't know where all that 'PS3-Grill' action came from in terms of size rumors - funny though the KK as George Forman shots were - it's been known for a while that it's slightly smaller than the 360.

xbdestroya said:
it's been known for a while that it's slightly smaller than the 360.
Wait! We haven't seen PS3's power supply yet! :LOL:

Last edited:
xbdestroya said:
PS3 is a fairly small console, at least in present prototype form. I don't know where all that 'PS3-Grill' action came from in terms of size rumors - funny though the KK as George Forman shots were - it's been known for a while that it's slightly smaller than the 360.
I believe this all started due to the unvieling at E3. I think KK has a very small physique and the PS3 looked larger, in comparison, than it actually is. The meme then took on a life of its own.

.Sis

Back