DS to get facelift.

Guden Oden said:
Am I wrong btw in thinking that the GBA Mini has replaceable face plates?

You are correct, apart from it being the GB Micro, and not the GBA Mini. Each US color comes with (IIRC) 3 different faceplates. In Europe, there are 4 different colors, but extra faceplates have not been released yet.

One great thing is that, just like for cellphones, the screen cover is part of the faceplate, so if yours gets scratched, you can just change the faceplate...

Mini... Micro... Whatever. :D

Great news in any case & thanks for the infos. Awesome to hear the screen cover comes off along with the shell. Can you replace the bottom part too, or just the top?

Guden Oden said:
Mini... Micro... Whatever. :D

Great news in any case & thanks for the infos. Awesome to hear the screen cover comes off along with the shell. Can you replace the bottom part too, or just the top?

Sadly, it's just the top. So if you want a GBM and intend to switch faceplates often (fashion victim, anyone ;) ), you may want to go with one of the more "neutral" base colors so it doesn't look out of place with some of the "exotic" faceplates. My Micro is green, so I'll probably be limited in my choice of faceplates.

Oh, and regarding the "look over functionality" comment, I must say that apart from the clamshell design (which helped protect the screen of the SP), the Micro is a far more "functional" unit : buttons are easier to access (even with large hands), the screen is far, far, far superior, autonomy seems to be in the same range... And of course the size makes it much more portable (I carry mine around the neck, under my sweat-shirt).

Last edited by a moderator:
The sad thing is that the black GBM comes with a silver faceplate and the silver GBM comes with a black faceplate by default so if you want a completly back GBM, you'll have to buy the black faceplate. It's only $5 at the online Nintendo store so it's not that big of an issue.

I think it's a good idea if they do redesign the casing soon. The biggest problem I have with the unit, is I find it really awkward to hold and play at the same time! If it were easier to grip and press buttons and use the stylus I'd be more happy to pick one up, especially with games like Metroid Prime: Hunters and Resident Evil coming the DS' way.

Back