X-Bit Benches 28 CPUs in New Games

If you're going to OC, consider an Opteron 165. (I first saw it mentioned in a TR comment as a cheaper alternative to a 3800+.)

If I read both articles correctly, the phrase: "your CPU is going to bottleneck that gfx card"...no longer applies?

Or should I turn off my comp and sleep?

I have the P4 530 and this really makes me want to upgrade my system, if only I had the money for a new Mobo, ram and Processor. Although I guess I could hold off on the ram, as long as DDR works in DDR2 mobos. Which is better the Athlon 64 FX or the Athlon 64 X2 DualCore and what are the prices on those? Also do 32bit aplications work in Windows 64-bit?

mkillio said:
I have the P4 530 and this really makes me want to upgrade my system, if only I had the money for a new Mobo, ram and Processor. Although I guess I could hold off on the ram, as long as DDR works in DDR2 mobos. Which is better the Athlon 64 FX or the Athlon 64 X2 DualCore and what are the prices on those? Also do 32bit aplications work in Windows 64-bit?

DDR does not work in DDR2 mobos, however currently all Athlon cpus/motherboards are DDR only. Note that when DDR2 Athlon motherboards and cpus come out, they won't work with DDR Athlon cpus and motherboard. IMO, the Athlon X2 Dual core is better than the Athlon 64 FX, the FX runs at a faster speed, but the X2 has two cpus. For multitasking and general desktop use the X2 will perform better, and will probably perform better once games are optimized for dual core.
32 bit applications do work in Windows 64 bit, however not all hardware has 64 bit drivers so far. Also, with an Athlon 64 you can still use 32 bit Windows, so you're not forced to upgrade. I haven't heard any concrete advantages to 64 bit Windows (some people say it runs smoother, but that may not be real), so you're probably better off waiting until Vista to go 64 bit.

BTW, I would have liked to see an Athlon XP on those tests....wondering how my Athlon XP with a 221mhz fsb would compare. It's got memory latency about 20% lower than a normal Athlon XP 3200+ system, so maybe it could compare to a 3ghz P4? I don't really have any good programs to use to compare, but in synthetic tests (memory bandwidth, latency, etc) it performs about as well as a 3ghz P4, and the P4s usually perform better in synthetic tests than actual games.

These tests always show that AMD's easily got the gaming area won. They also show the fact that the A64s are simply such great gaming processors for their money. I'm currently looking at a 3000+ Venice, a Chaintech mobo (NF4) and a 6800GS for my LAN rig this Xmas. I got a windfall (hired to do network for a small office) recently so I'm happy right now.

Fox5 said:
DDR does not work in DDR2 mobos, however currently all Athlon cpus/motherboards are DDR only. Note that when DDR2 Athlon motherboards and cpus come out, they won't work with DDR Athlon cpus and motherboard. IMO, the Athlon X2 Dual core is better than the Athlon 64 FX, the FX runs at a faster speed, but the X2 has two cpus. For multitasking and general desktop use the X2 will perform better, and will probably perform better once games are optimized for dual core.
32 bit applications do work in Windows 64 bit, however not all hardware has 64 bit drivers so far. Also, with an Athlon 64 you can still use 32 bit Windows, so you're not forced to upgrade. I haven't heard any concrete advantages to 64 bit Windows (some people say it runs smoother, but that may not be real), so you're probably better off waiting until Vista to go 64 bit.

BTW, I would have liked to see an Athlon XP on those tests....wondering how my Athlon XP with a 221mhz fsb would compare. It's got memory latency about 20% lower than a normal Athlon XP 3200+ system, so maybe it could compare to a 3ghz P4? I don't really have any good programs to use to compare, but in synthetic tests (memory bandwidth, latency, etc) it performs about as well as a 3ghz P4, and the P4s usually perform better in synthetic tests than actual games.
How bout half life 2?
http://firingsquad.com/hardware/half-life_2_athlon_xp/
It would appear that basically you need a barton to kick ass and a higher FSB to kick even more ass.
not exactly a new game, but a cpu intensive one.
Judging from HL2 if you have an AXP make sure its a barton and overclock it...
since xbit purposely isolated the CPU it's a useless article.
When you test are realistic settings the P4 makes a case for it's self- hangs with the A64 fine in gaming performance and superior multi tasking and also serves as a heater.
here's fear..
http://firingsquad.com/hardware/fear_cpu_performance/
and quake 4
http://firingsquad.com/hardware/quake_4_cpu_performance/

Back