COD2 benches..a comparison point?

Status
Not open for further replies.
blah

OK. I just played the demo again on my PC (@1280x720 Trillinear) with Fraps running. Mind you this isn't even a $1500 PC. This is a $500 PC. 128MB 6800LE @ 345/824, 3000+ @ 2.5GHz. I get between 29-45fps with dips down to 24fps or so. It feels very similar to the experience I had playing the x360 demo, though that did run faster in places.

It will be just sad if the COD2 demo runs like the real game on the 360. No, I'm not some PS3 fanboi, I think the two machines will run almost exactly the same. It just that this is the first time I can remember being dissapointed in next generation graphics. Next time they should get Nvidia and ATi out of the console business and come up with a better way to produce graphics.

NVNDA said:
OK. I just played the demo again on my PC (@1280x720 Trillinear) with Fraps running. Mind you this isn't even a $1500 PC. This is a $500 PC. 128MB 6800LE @ 345/824, 3000+ @ 2.5GHz. I get between 29-45fps with dips down to 24fps or so. It feels very similar to the experience I had playing the x360 demo, though that did run faster in places.

It will be just sad if the COD2 demo runs like the real game on the 360. No, I'm not some PS3 fanboi, I think the two machines will run almost exactly the same. It just that this is the first time I can remember being dissapointed in next generation graphics. Next time they should get Nvidia and ATi out of the console business and come up with a better way to produce graphics.

Umm, it's a PC game ported over. You say it even runs faster on Xbox 360. Were you expecting an entirely new game? This is not the fault of the hardware, but of the developer. And this is not a good gauge for the system's potential, look at PGR3, GoW and Kameo for that.

NVNDA said:
OK. I just played the demo again on my PC (@1280x720 Trillinear) with Fraps running. Mind you this isn't even a $1500 PC. This is a $500 PC. 128MB 6800LE @ 345/824, 3000+ @ 2.5GHz. I get between 29-45fps with dips down to 24fps or so. It feels very similar to the experience I had playing the x360 demo, though that did run faster in places. .

came on, a 6800le can't do that with settings to max ;)
if you drop dx9 path to dx8 maybe..

at default a 7800gt can do 45 fps, lol, not a 6800le
http://common.ziffdavisinternet.com/util_get_image/10/0,1425,sz=1&i=108146,00.gif

NVNDA said:

what we care in this thread is that x360 version is better then top-end pc version (the top end is 7800gtx/x1800xt, I assume), not who's TEH WIN between ps3 and x360 ;))

I didnt know this about Vsync.
So if the president of IW is true then (according to both tests posted at the previous page) COD2 is almost 3 times faster than top-end 7800gtx PC and 2 times faster than 1800XT. OMG :oops:

groper said:
So if the president of IW is true then (according to both tests posted at the previous page) COD2 is almost 3 times faster than top-end 7800gtx PC and 2 times faster than 1800XT. OMG :oops:

1280x1024 is a little heavy than 720p :)
so I think that we can think at only 1.5x than x1800xt and 2x the 7800tgx :rolleyes:

groper said:

What on earth are you talking about?!

I'm not lying. yes, a 6800LE...

Oh, and if truly only renders internally at 1088x612, I can easily hit 60 fps in the demo and my average fps is in the 40's. I realize there is no point disagreeing about this right now, as we will all know the answer in a couple of days.

london-boy said:
What on earth are you talking about?!

I am talking about minimun framerate of COD2 to 360-7800gtx-1800xt. (pc version: 1280x1024 4xAA) Watch the last page for tests.

NVNDA said:

Oh, and if truly only renders internally at 1088x612, I can easily hit 60 fps in the demo and my average fps is in the 40's. I realize there is no point disagreeing about this right now, as we will all know the answer in a couple of days.

Those textures are seriously low-detail. What settings are you running the game at? I can't imagine that would be high detail.

NVNDA said:

Wow the Xbox 360 version looks way better than that. What settings are you using??

NVNDA said:

now that I see the screens I understand why your 6800le performs as like a 7800gt:LOL:
and 720p is 1280x720, not 1092,5 x 613.33

SynapticSignal said:
this forums seems full of x360 haters:rolleyes:

"
Proudly boasting an incredibly solid 60 frames per second, along with all the usual technical refinements that subtly contribute towards making the game as slick as possible (such as anti-aliasing and 720p output), Call of Duty 2 plays like a dream - never skipping to load in the enormous levels, never stuttering during moments of intense combat, and never faltering when all you can see is fire, bullets and blood. Put simply, the look of Call of Duty 2 is flawless.
"

http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/launchreview.asp?reviewid=639836

and for the others, STOP comparing PC mid fps with the min 60 FPS of x360 version
this is a very stupid thing!

and to close the bad mouths, listen Grant Collier, the president of INFINITY WARD (sorry, this is in italian, hope that some of you can understand, I'll translate for the others)

"Ci sono alcune differenze importanti tra la versione PC e quella XBOX360 di
Call Of Duty 2.
Call Of Duty 2 usa tutti e tre i processori di XBOX360 uno per la
Intelligenza Artificiale,uno per la fisica e gli effetti speciali,e infine
uno per gestire tutto il codice del gioco,il chip grafico di XBOX360 non e'
solo UNA ma DUE generazioni avanti rispetto al meglio che ce' in
circolazione per PC, come conseguenza abbiamo raggiunto una fluidita'
nettamente maggiore su XBOX360 rispetto al PC con 60 Fotogrammi Al Secondo
STABILI."

http://www.eroscapecchi.com/forum/128bit/Filmatocod2xbox360.wmv

"there are some important differences between version PC and that XBOX360 of Call Of Duty 2. Call Of Duty 2 uses all and the three processors of XBOX360, one for the Artificial intelligence, one for physics and the special effects, and finally one in order to manage all the code of the game, chip graphical of XBOX360 is not only one, but TWO generations ahead regarding the best that is in circulation for PC, as consequence we have caught up one clearly great smoother on XBOX360 regarding the PC with 60 STABLE Frames per Second.

OK?
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

[edited to make some words in 'bold', I hope that the thing is clear and simple, now]

I imagine when he refers to it being 2 generations ahead of the PC he's talking about R580 being one generation and R600 being 2. So on that basis yes he's correct that its 2 technical generations ahead of ATI's current best (assuming you class R580 as a new generation). However we don't know how advanced nvidia's next architecture will be so its a big assumption that he's making. Anyway the technical features a GPU contains do not represent its actual rendering power. To imply that its 2 generations of power ahead of R520 because its 2 (or 1.5) technical generations ahead it totally wrong. The GF 6200LE is 2 generations ahead of the 9800XT but its still much, much slower. Therefore his equating Xenos's generational architecture to being able to run the game smoother is wrong.

As for the vsync thing, im not too sure about that. Im pretty sure there is a method to allow framerates between 30 and 60 even with vsync enabled. When you consider that some console games have tearing and some display wildy fluctuating framerates(rather than simply 2 or 3) it doesn't add up. To be blunt, its totally unrealistic that the X360 can run this game at max settings, 720p/4xFSAA/8xAF while never dropping below 60 fps. If it can then im extremely impressed but I will need to see proof and a IW representitive bigging up a selling point of his game does not count as proof for me. Obviously the game is running at a very good framerate to stay smooth all of the time but im simply not buying that it never falls below 60fps - either that or its not running at 720p/4xFSAA/8xAF. If only we had fraps for consoles!

pjbliverpool said:
When you consider that some console games have tearing and some display wildy fluctuating framerates

There are some games (mostly splinter cell 1 & pandora) that have vsync disabled.

I can solve this debate about xbox360 vs PC right now.

xbox is supposed to last at least 4 years...is it upgradable? How about we come back just 1.5 or 2 years from now and ask again? Of course the answer will be clear at this point.

So yea, I'm willing to bet it is significantly better than the average gaming PC, or even the monster PC...THIS YEAR.

pjbliverpool said:
To be blunt, its totally unrealistic that the X360 can run this game at max settings, 720p/4xFSAA/8xAF while never dropping below 60 fps. If it can then im extremely impressed but I will need to see proof and a IW representitive bigging up a selling point of his game does not count as proof for me.

Jesus dude, obviously you've already made up your mind and no amount of proof in the world is going to change it. The developer can tell your flat out it's locked at 60 and you still won't believe it. So what's the point of even discussing it?

infidel said:
I can solve this debate about xbox360 vs PC right now.

xbox is supposed to last at least 4 years...is it upgradable? How about we come back just 1.5 or 2 years from now and ask again? Of course the answer will be clear at this point.

So yea, I'm willing to bet it is significantly better than the average gaming PC, or even the monster PC...THIS YEAR.

This applies to PS3 as well.

In fact, PC's with dual 512 GTX have twice the rendering power of PS3 already.

Hardknock, last thing i want is to side with pjliverpool, but if you read what you quoted from him, i don't think his statement is so over the top to deserve your response.
He said he will want to see the game running under those condition and will not trust a MS PR man until he sees it with his eyes.
Is that really unacceptable? Don't think so.
You've said much more over-the-top things in your history here, or does your response stem from the fact that his scepticism is towards MS and not other companies you keep on doubting (sometimes in a much less civil way) all the time on here?

pjbliverpool said:
I imagine when he refers to it being 2 generations ahead of the PC he's talking about R580 being one generation and R600 being 2. So on that basis yes he's correct that its 2 technical generations ahead of ATI's current best (assuming you class R580 as a new generation).

I thik so, he is talking 'bout R580

However we don't know how advanced nvidia's next architecture will be so its a big assumption that he's making.

g70 is equal to nv40, I don't assume g70 as a whole generation (as r580 with more pipes etc, isn't a whole generation, for me)

Anyway the technical features a GPU contains do not represent its actual rendering power. To imply that its 2 generations of power ahead of R520 because its 2 (or 1.5) technical generations ahead it totally wrong.

no, he's totally right
he's a president of infinity wards, you're a guy that have doubts about the simple vsync question -> you have not the "knowing base" to counterfeit him ;) (don't blame me for this)
you can't know how x360 compares to pc with cod2, as He can
simple, clean ;)

The GF 6200LE is 2 generations ahead of the 9800XT but its still much, much slower. Therefore his equating Xenos's generational architecture to being able to run the game smoother is wrong.

this example is totally wrong, I'm assuming that, maybe, you are one of the x360 haterz or what?:rolleyes:

As for the vsync thing, im not too sure about that. Im pretty sure there is a method to allow framerates between 30 and 60 even with vsync enabled.

no, you're wrong, trust all of us
if you are 'sure' prove it

When you consider that some console games have tearing and some display wildy fluctuating framerates(rather than simply 2 or 3) it doesn't add up. To be blunt, its totally unrealistic that the X360 can run this game at max settings, 720p/4xFSAA/8xAF while never dropping below 60 fps. If it can then im extremely impressed but I will need to see proof and a IW representitive bigging up a selling point of his game does not count as proof for me.

unbeliever, what king of proof you need after the words of trusted reviewers and the words of the president of IW?

came on, this thread is becoming ridicule "i don't wanna believe the trusted sources" and shoud be closed by admin :rolleyes:

Obviously the game is running at a very good framerate to stay smooth all of the time but im simply not buying that it never falls below 60fps - either that or its not running at 720p/4xFSAA/8xAF. If only we had fraps for consoles!

again, you don't know how vsync works
pace.

period.

Yeah but people will challenge 60 FPS all day long.

The one thing that really made me realize a power winner will never be declared is the fact that a few posters on B3D to this day believe PS2 is more powerful than Xbox.

If they cant accept it when it's that clear cut, a small win for either side will never be recognized by many..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back