PS3 will not play used games?

mckmas8808 said:

This would mean that Net-based and other such games will not be the only ones to be affected by the technology

I tried to read the patent details but it is Japanese. I suspect from the quote above this would only affect internet multiplayer games if Sony chooses to use it. My best guess is that this is the next logical step of cd keys that we have become familiar with for pc games. But instead of a number you type in it is printed into the cd at the factory, combines that with a machine identification number from your PS3, and then sends that data the game server.

Ahhh, but as a hacker I'll scan the origianl owner and use a Cell/EyeToy function to map their image onto my actions. Then with me as someone else playing the game, played on a Cell enhanced TV screen and watched by the PS3 EyeToy, the PS3 will be fooled into thinking I'm someone I'm not. Technology outsmarts itself once again.

Did you know that every time Blockbusters rents a game the publisher gets $1?

Do you really think Sony would cut themselves off from that kind of easy income?

Powderkeg said:

Do you really think Sony would cut themselves off from that kind of easy income?
At last some sense in this thread.

Powderkeg said:

and when eb games resells a game for $40 how much does the developer get?

Powderkeg said:

No I actually didn't know that. What about Gamespy? I have a membership and I would like to feel better for not buying the games.

mckmas8808 said:
No I actually didn't know that. What about Gamespy? I have a membership and I would like to feel better for not buying the games.

Any place that rents games gives part of their money back to the publisher. (Who in turn gives some to the developer) It's part of the licensing agreement they sign to allow legal rentals.

As for the sales of used games, publishers get nothing. But I seriously doubt Sony would make it so all of your games stop working if your PS3 has problems and you have to replace it either. Also, think of all of the kids at Christmas who are visiting relatives and put their new PS3 game in their cousin/uncles PS3 to play it on Christmas day and then get home and the game doesn't work anymore.

I don't think Sony would want to deal with the fallout from such a decision. I could see a lot of angry customers in Sony's future if they tried. It's just a bad idea to mess with the abilitiy for people to play their legally purchased game on multiple systems.

valioso said:
and when eb games resells a game for $40 how much does the developer get?

so you think they should get paid for the same game twice, they already made 50 bucks off that game when it was new

Even if used games are a problem I don't see it going away, and if you think of it like books publishers and authors don't get paid for a resold book

At the moment the second-hand market is hardly something they need to worry about, when they have REAL piracy to worry about, which loses them much more money than second-hand shops (or second-hand sales on ebay and whatnot) ever will.

They should (and i'm sure they will) worry about real piracy first. This article seems a bit out of touch with reality.

Another wonderful non-story for the PS3? These fear interjecting stories sure do pop up at the funniest of times.

Votes for a moderator to remove the offending word 'used' from the thread title? ;)

pegisys said:
so you think they should get paid for the same game twice, they already made 50 bucks off that game when it was new

Even if used games are a problem I don't see it going away, and if you think of it like books publishers and authors don't get paid for a resold book

eb is getting paid twice...

Piracy is no where near as big as used game sales. Don't kid yourself. Pirating requires modchips and other means, which is to much work for the average mainstream gamer. Especially when they can hop on Ebay or go to a gamestore and buy a used game for relatively cheaper. And none of that money goes to the publisher or developer.

Hardknock said:
Piracy is no where near as big as used game sales. Don't kid yourself. Pirating requires modchips and other means, which is to much work for the average mainstream gamer. Especially when they can hop on Ebay or go to a gamestore and buy a used game for relatively cheaper. And none of that money goes to the publisher or developer.

But used game sales is like used car sales. You couldn't sell these people a new one if you wanted to so you wouldn't generate extra money by taking away their ability to buy and play used games.

Also used games tend to be old games that are no longer in demand, and often times no longer in production. The only way you could get ICO in the US right now is to buy used. Is it really in Sony's best interest to keep their customers from being able to play these games?

I think the backlash from angry customers would cost them more money than preventing used game sales would save.

Hardknock said:

Well personally i don't pretend to have seen real figures of each (piracy and second hand), so you could be right.
Have you seen real figures or are you just saying second-hand is bigger because you happen to have seen more people buying second hand games than pirated games? Cause i could provide the same anedoctal experience which would be just as useless.

Powderkeg said:
But used game sales is like used car sales. You couldn't sell these people a new one if you wanted to so you wouldn't generate extra money by taking away their ability to buy and play used games.

Also used games tend to be old games that are no longer in demand, and often times no longer in production. The only way you could get ICO in the US right now is to buy used. Is it really in Sony's best interest to keep their customers from being able to play these games?

I think the backlash from angry customers would cost them more money than preventing used game sales would save.

you can find a used game at the store a week after release... is not like used cars.. because games do not last that long.
I don't have a problem with buying used games, but developers should get some of that $$ as well.
Obviously developers would not be talking about it, if it was not a bigger problem that most people think it is.

valioso said:
you can find a used game at the store a week after release... is not like used cars.. because games do not last that long.

What makes you so sure? I can find a used car less than a month odl with fewer than 1,000 miles on it.

I don't have a problem with buying used games, but developers should get some of that $$ as well.

Why? And does that mean if I wanted to sell my brother some of my old games I should ahve to pay the developers as well? What about garage sales? Shouldn't the person who trades the game into EB/Gamestop also have to pay the devs? After all, that's a sale that they are making money off of, surely they should be forced to pay the devs too, right?

Likewise the devs should replace my game if it's scratched or otherwise defective, even if it's a used copy right? I mean, if they are going to make money off the sale that means they are also still responsible for the product sold, right?

Obviously developers would not be talking about it, if it was not a bigger problem that most people think it is.

Developers aren't talking about it because it's not going to happen. Why would they talk about some anti-copy protection that they aren't going to use?

If people had no choice they would. Remember when games used to cost $70 a pop? Nobody was happy about that, but we did it because we had to.

Not always the case though, I've walked in several times to buy a fairly new game and already see used copies on the shelf for only $5 less than the new game. Mind you, for those more obscure titles like ICO, they are very useful. I'm not disputing the validity of Used games at all.

I agree. Let me state again that I don't think Sony would do this. It's fun to discuss the hypothetical though. :p

One thing I must say is I feel gamestores should give some of the money they make on used game sales back to the publishers (since they are the ones that pay for the advertising) similar to what rental chains do. I know at my local EB, the used game rack is the same size or bigger than the New games rack. Publishers can't be too happy about that. ;)

Hardknock said:
If people had no choice they would. Remember when games used to cost $70 a pop? Nobody was happy about that, but we did it because we had to.

And those people who couldn't afford it or didn't want to pay it didn't. Sales weren't increased by higher prices, and that's all forcing new game sales only would be, a higher price.

One thing I must say is I feel gamestores should give some of the money they make on used game sales back to the publishers (since they are the ones that pay for the advertising) similar to what rental chains do. I know at my local EB, the used game rack is the same size or bigger than the New games rack. Publishers can't be too happy about that. ;)

As I just said before, if the developers are going to make money on the sale then they ahve a responsibility to replace the product if it was damaged or defective, just like they would a new game.

If I bought a new game and it was scratched I could return it for another copy at no cost because the developer/publisher would pay for the replacement. If they are going to be making money on used game sales as well as new, then they should offer the same product replacement as if the game was new.

Powderkeg said:
As I just said before, if the developers are going to make money on the sale then they ahve a responsibility to replace the product if it was damaged or defective, just like they would a new game.

If I bought a new game and it was scratched I could return it for another copy at no cost because the developer/publisher would pay for the replacement. If they are going to be making money on used game sales as well as new, then they should offer the same product replacement as if the game was new.

Well of course they should! :smile: EBgames and Gamestop should likewise not buy back any games that have obvious scratches on them though ;)

valioso said:
if stuff like that would keep game price lower I am all for it.

Is that what you think?

Game prices have nothing to do with Piracy, or reselling of games from used games shops. That is almost a complete crock used as an excuse to raise prices *permanently*.

Heck they could actually raise prices because you would have no choice but to buy the game new from them.

Look at game sales figures. the big games that come out are still selling the same or greater numbers than they always have. While piracy has increased the market pool of people playing games has increased at a far greater pace.

Back