Hosting Recommendations?

Hello... I'm looking for a good hosting deal. Right now I'm looking at http://www.dreamhost.com

i'd go with the "Crazy Domain Insane" deal...

1 FREE domain registration
www.yourname.com
UNLIMITED domains hosted
15 subdomains
4800 MB Disk, 120 GB Transfer
600 Mailboxes, 75 Shell/FTP Users

9.95 a month for month by month.

servers are dual Intel® Xeon 2400MHZ with 1GB of ram or above

Is this a good deal? Does anyone who knows have any obvious recommendations?

thanks.....

How many domains do you plan to have?

I paid £35 for a domain and hosting from 4uhosting.co.uk for a year.
I have 500MB space and 10000 MB bandwidth. 2 MySQL Databases (useful if you want to use a proper content management system). Support and reliability are excellent. It has plenty of pre-installed scripts (ok not pre-installed but you install by just selecting them from your control panel).

CC

Because mailboxes don't cost the provider anything and allow them to put big numbers in the advertisement.

You can find cheaper places, which I would recommend if it's just a personal site. I pay $4.95/mo for one of my hosting plans (www.lonex.com), and $2.95/mo for the other (www.veraperez.net). Both offer free domain registration with the hosting plan.

No offense, but I find it hard to believe you'll use more than 40GB of traffic each month on a personal site without some kind of illegal activity going on that would void your hosting agreement. It's your money though :)

I have a better idea -- if you sign up to dreamhost using the code "1lovesyouguys", your cost for the simple crazy plan should be about $22.50. This is because they let me apply my referrer kickback to discount the cost of the referred, if I want. So i set this up for friends, to let them sign up cheap. I get the minimum kickback this way, ~$17 iirc. Good luck -- I think dreamhost is the best if you want a straightforward, basic plan on a reliable server.

crusher... i'm actually preparing for a pretty big hit of traffic later this year. i released a flash game, (divine intervention) 2 years ago and my site got completely whiped out within a few days..... using 30 gigs of bandwidth.

hey thanks poopypoo.... i may consider that... but im not sure if i need one of the bigger plans

oops.... i didn't understand what you meant poopypoo...

i guess you are saying that instead of hte initial 49.95 setup fee for teh month to month, i'd pay 22.50?

hey thanks a lot poopypoo! i just signed up and used your referral code... it gave me $50 off! basically i got to pay the month to month price without any setup fee.

totaljerkface said:
crusher... i'm actually preparing for a pretty big hit of traffic later this year. i released a flash game, (divine intervention) 2 years ago and my site got completely whiped out within a few days..... using 30 gigs of bandwidth.

Ah, I stand corrected. Good luck :)

I've been using www.nathosting.com for a while now and have had good luck. 5 dollars a month, 2gb of space, to 5 separate domains, unlimited subdomains, 50 gb of bandwidth, unlimited mysql, one-click installs for a variety of different website software, and probably more. No free domain registration, though, but really, that's just an extra 5 to 10 bucks per year anyways.

Unfortunately, I woke up this morning to find out that both of my websites, (www.TianjinExpats.com and www.ChinaSchoolReview.com), have been banned in China, and I believe a third site related to China, which I don't own, and which uses the same hosting service, may be the culprit. Thus, I may be looking for a new webhost myself here pretty soon, so keep the recommendatiosn coming.

totaljerkface said:
hey thanks a lot poopypoo! i just signed up and used your referral code... it gave me $50 off! basically i got to pay the month to month price without any setup fee.

hey no problem :) it's pretty cool that they let us do that... dreamhost is a pretty cool place to be. i even enjoy their goofy little monthly newsletter. good luck ;D

also... heh... clashman... i'm in shanghai... so i feel your pain ;) you need some proxy love!

Back