Depth of Field Aliasing Question

Sylvanus

Newcomer
I have a Radeon x850XT PE. 6x AA w/ temporal AA enabled 8xAF. In games such as City of Heroes, Guild Wars and Battlefield 2, with Depth of Field enabled, I see jaggies on structures outside the main character. Buildings, columns and such seem aliased. With it disabled, it appears that AA is working properly.

Is there a setting I can adjust to resolve the issue?
Is there another graphics card that handles this issue better?

Thanks.

I think the problem is that you are forcing AA via the driver panel - the games are likely to be employing post-processing effects for the DoF in such a way that unless AA is enabled in game then it's not going to work correctly.

There's apparently an issue in City of Heroes/Villains with in-game enabled AA with Radeons that will be fixed in the next driver release by ATI. Don't know if this issue affects these other games or not.

Personally, though, I think depth of field is a stupid effect to have in any game, except perhaps for cinematic sequences (or maybe for something like a sniper rifle).

Chalnoth said:
There's apparently an issue with in-game enabled AA with Radeons that will be fixed in the next driver release by ATI. Don't know if this issue affects these other games or not.
What issue is that? I've not heard of any such problem.

Chalnoth said:
Ah, doh! Thought I mentioned I was only talking about City of Heroes. Sorry 'bout that.
I missed that reference. I was thinking you were saying other games were affected as well. Anyway, I think the scope is rather small as I've not heard anything about it.

Thanks for everyone's help. I've seen BETA 5.11 drivers out there. Would these possibly address the issue?

Thanks for posting this! I've been going nuts trying to get AA to work in CoH since the last patch changed the engine to all the fancy effects. That's a game that NEEDS AA.

Sylvanus said:
Thanks for everyone's help. I've seen BETA 5.11 drivers out there. Would these possibly address the issue?
If you use the CP/CCC's AA for BF2 you will have NO AA in game. must be apppref. And thats with any AA like Adaptive too.Lame. the 5.11 betas are a joke. Just NGO being silly.

A chatty little bird told me that you'll be able to get the Cat 5.11 set later in about 5-6 hours if'n you're really, really good and believe in the ATi Catalyst Fairy.... ;)

From a different post, part of the discussion about the FEAR bug...

CATALYST MAKER said:
It’s a "bug" in that we simply got an IF statement backwards Thanks for pointing this out to us, you have just helped us get a big performance gain. Of course there is no difference in the rendering, it’s just a CATALYST AI game specific optimization that was good for the demo version, but backfired in the final version. We will get it sorted out in a future Catalyst (not 5.11 which is being posted tomorrow by the way).

Hmm...

Chalnoth said:
There's apparently an issue in City of Heroes/Villains with in-game enabled AA with Radeons that will be fixed in the next driver release by ATI. Don't know if this issue affects these other games or not.

Personally, though, I think depth of field is a stupid effect to have in any game, except perhaps for cinematic sequences (or maybe for something like a sniper rifle).

can be nice for you 'just got hit by a shotgun' effects

karlotta said:
If you use the CP/CCC's AA for BF2 you will have NO AA in game. must be apppref. And thats with any AA like Adaptive too.Lame. the 5.11 betas are a joke. Just NGO being silly.

Yes that is how it suposed to work, if try to force AA on in control panel in games where AA only works with ingame setting then AA is forced off - nothing new and not a bug.

Chalnoth said:
Maybe, but I'm not sure that's really depth of field so much as it's blur.

i'd like to think both, like HDr isn't really just HDR, its bloom and tone mapping as well. When you as a person get dazed by something smacking you hard your eyes are gonna lose focus and what you actually see is going to be disorientating a combination of DOF and blur could make a neat effect there i think.

but general use, like using it all the time just wont work, your eyes move around your computer screen too much.

Tim said:
Yes that is how it suposed to work, if try to force AA on in control panel in games where AA only works with ingame setting then AA is forced off - nothing new and not a bug.

I think it might be a good thing to provide a standard (I can dream) API that allows the game to access the AA and AF level set in the driver control panel and apply it in the game manually.
The driver wouldn't really force these values on detecting the application supports the API.
It wouldn't be hard to support the API on the game side, and it would make the lives of the end users much simpler.

Well, I've gotten the 5.11's now, and City of Heroes now doesn't even give me the option of turning on multisampling. With the 5.10's I had the option, it just didn't work.

Of course, any MMORPG is a moving target, and it's now a TWIMTBP game.

the maddman said:
Of course, any MMORPG is a moving target, and it's now a TWIMTBP game.
No, it's not. But it is an OpenGL game. And ATI has problems with it. Should anybody be surprised?

Edit:
nevermind, I was assuming that the TWIMTBP icon would be on the title screen. It's not there, but is on loading screens.

Back