Yellow. :(

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
Ok, I gotta paint my hallway and living room yellow...so I thought I'd best open a bitching thread RIGHT NOW before I get started.

(I hate painting!)

What's the fastest way to prep when you just don't give a shit?

Reactions: Geo
I used to have each room of my previous apartment with a different light color. The result is we (family) got tired of the colors.

Today my wife decided (she is the boss :) ) that the roms´ wall should be white and the decoration will give the coloured touch. I agree.

K.I.L.E.R said:
Yellow?
Yuck.

Should paint it highlighter green.
A saying that I have used WAAAAY too many times is strangely appropriate to this occasion:

"I don't pick the colors, I just paint the walls."

I've never had it fit better. ;)

It's not a bad yellow, it's pretty pale and light. I'm just trying to decide how nuts to go, I'm thinking of painting over the wood trim & wood cabinets too.

digitalwanderer said:
I'm just trying to decide how nuts to go, I'm thinking of painting over the wood trim & wood cabinets too.
It sometimes will look best when using a car painting (we call it laca, I dont know how is it in english) or some other special painting (make it look older or newer).

K.I.L.E.R said:
Yellow?
Yuck.

Should paint it highlighter green.
How bout both colors? :)
http://www.thebarricks.com/images/basement/08-16-2005/DSCN0351.JPG
http://www.thebarricks.com/images/basement/08-16-2005/DSCN0352.JPG
Yeah, it's not quite highlighter green, but it's pretty bright.

And I can't forget the pink (kinda hard to tell, but it is a pink color):
http://www.thebarricks.com/images/basement/08-16-2005/DSCN0347.JPG

I'm surprised at how well the colors turned out. I would never have picked those 3 colors, but after all the trim was up and the carpet installed, I was amazed at how well it went together. Guess my wife knows what she is doing. I should probably apologize some day for all the crap I gave her when we first started painting. :)

I was going to go with the yellow for the primary wall color and white for the ceiling and trim. I might get lazy and just go yellow for the ceiling too, but I think the white would make for a nicer contrast.

I just put in new pergo flooring in the two areas, so the color should really compliment it. It's another reason I want to paint all my trim white, the "natural wood look" it has is more of a "shitty natural wood look" after a few decades of abuse and I think the white would class it up a lot.

I'm not gonna do spit today on it, I'm all out of bleach and any other cleaning supply. :rolleyes:

Yeah, we really like the contrast between the yellow and the oak trim. I think white trim would look great, since you've got the wood floors. Is the trim you have now real wood that was stained/varnished? If so, make sure you prime it with a "stain locking" primer, otherwise the stain on the wood could bleed through the white paint. Learned that the hard way helping my father in law a couple years ago. :)

Honestly, preping is what's going to make the difference between it going fast or it going slow.

Clean out the room of every last thing, remove all the fixtures you can. Whatever you don't move, insure you take it off properly and cover it. This includes drop cloths on furniture you ain't moving much (at least put it in the middle of the room), then throw down plastic on all the exposed floor.

This allows you to go nuts with your painting speed, you don't need to worry about splatter, excess drip.

At least that's why I've found, I just get nervous that I'm going to make a huge mess or annoyed when it's anything but a simple flat wall.

digitalwanderer said:
I was going to go with the yellow for the primary wall color and white for the ceiling and trim. I might get lazy and just go yellow for the ceiling too, but I think the white would make for a nicer contrast.

I just put in new pergo flooring in the two areas, so the color should really compliment it. It's another reason I want to paint all my trim white, the "natural wood look" it has is more of a "shitty natural wood look" after a few decades of abuse and I think the white would class it up a lot.

I'm not gonna do spit today on it, I'm all out of bleach and any other cleaning supply. :rolleyes:

Light yellow on the walls and white ceiling...classic. If you really want to be posh (it doesn't seem to be your case though, ehr), leave an inch o two at the top of the walls not painted in yellow, and apply there the same white you use for the ceiling.
Hey, I sell paints and varnishes (it's one of my jobs) :D

Crisidelm said:
You mean, outer walls? Quite a statement that is...
:).
I hate painting also..
when I move out ill prolly only paint if it seriously needs it.

my mom likes to just paint rooms to change colors, even if she just painted a uear ago.

I remember a guy some years ago who absolutely wanted for the outer walls of his villa a bright yellow, and I mean really bright, even beyond bright, almost "acid". With the classical Italian dark red-brown tiled roof it made quite a combo...since the villa is placed on a flat landscape you could clearly spot his house from miles away.

digitalwanderer said:
I'm just trying to decide how nuts to go, I'm thinking of painting over the wood trim & wood cabinets too.
Stained wood is a 'luxury item'. Painting over them is going to reduce the percieved value of your home.

You can't ever go back, either.

Back