ICO getting a rerelease!

The Limited Editions of both Ico and SotC both came with collectible cards that had in-game graphics in high resolution printed on them. They still look great. All those games really need is higher res visuals and a smooth framerate. The art transcends the dated technical aspects of both games easily.

ICO was definitely low-res. If they could create them in 1080p and have higher-res textures (which should just be a matter of scanning in/rescaling the original art), they'd be a valued improvement.

ICO was definitely low-res. If they could create them in 1080p and have higher-res textures (which should just be a matter of scanning in/rescaling the original art), they'd be a valued improvement.

Gah, 720p should be sufficient... remodel the characters and apply appropriate post processing to recreate the mood please ! ;-)

I think you guy's are really hoping for way too much with these re-releases. They're going to get the code running on PS3 hardware, get the game running at a good frame rate, and bump up the resolution. We won't see any changes in models or texture resolution. Sure, we'll see some improvements in texture filtering like we did in GoW1 and 2, but in both of those there were no texture 'improvements' so to speak. Best be realistic about it ;)

I think you guy's are really hoping for way too much with these re-releases. They're going to get the code running on PS3 hardware, get the game running at a good frame rate, and bump up the resolution. We won't see any changes in models or texture resolution. Sure, we'll see some improvements in texture filtering like we did in GoW1 and 2, but in both of those there were no texture 'improvements' so to speak. Best be realistic about it ;)
Im pretty sure the games need some effects reworked or they wont run smoothly even in 720p.
for example the fur in SotC was done with tons of parallel transparent texture layers, this surely need to be reworked into a shader so the RSX can deal with it efficiently rather than brute-forcing it with bandwidth the PS3 lacks.

Also, adding MLAA probably should be rather easy (just post-processing as far as I understand), I`d definitly take this over added fluff like achievements.

Reworking to get it runnig is one thing, but tha-con is saying there'll be now reworking of the art assets. Which is probably true, but unlike improving the models or animation, upgrading the textures really would be very little effort if they have the originals to hand.

I suspect they can charge full Blu-ray price and people will pay for the quality. God of War Collection was a "straight port" and only costs $30.

Fine with me, and exactly what I'm expecting aynway.

Ha ha, well, if they only rerelease it "as is" on the PS3 with only minor improvements, I'd buy it too.

I really hope this is true...it would be fantastic, but I'm not getting too excited until I see something official (E3?)

Who wants to play last gen games at 30FPS...we want 60FPS :p
60fps shouldn't be difficult if they actually utilize the system's power, without drastically increasing the graphical elements. It would be like playing a ten year old PC game on a new system. It looks the same, but runs at 200fps+ at max settings.

Isn't that what they did with God of War? Same assets, same game engine, just running on ramped-up hardware.

60fps shouldn't be difficult if they actually utilize the system's power, without drastically increasing the graphical elements. It would be like playing a ten year old PC game on a new system. It looks the same, but runs at 200fps+ at max settings.

Isn't that what they did with God of War? Same assets, same game engine, just running on ramped-up hardware.

I think there are certain differences between the two consoles that may make that a bit difficult.

I'm just throwing out 30fps because I think it's a safe number. The God of War titles ran at nearly 60fps from the start, where as SotC was almost always sub 30 (and often sub 20). I can't really remember what Ico was since I played it so long ago.

I think that for this particular game, they should definitely be able to do 720p/60, especially if they put a comparable effort into it as for the God of War titles ... however nice these titles look, they're not likely to be even nearly as demanding for the PS3 as God of War 1 and 2 were.

If the motion blur translates well, I'd be fine with SotC running at 30fps. I want it to look like a movie, not a soap opera.

Back