G71 = Rsx??

DeanA said:
Thanks..! :)

DeanA, let me be the *first* to harrass you for any information you may have on the RSX. Don't know if maybe you SCE guys have the inside track. ;)

But in all seriousness though, I echo L-B's welcome to the forum. Be sure to drop aggravating pieces of non information from time to time and you'll fit right in! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Well for the moment this just means we have one more person teasing us with "well... that MIGHT be it..." statements regarding architectures and "secrets" because of NDA!!! :devilish: You know, the way nAo and DeanoC do...

;)

didnt nvidia themselves say they would have a better gpu than the rsx in the market before the ps3 is even released? I remember reading something about that around E3

OMG another dev that works in Cambridge! Are these guys cooking something up? It is near the Xbox 360 launch. Hmmm....:smile:

Is Rare also in Cambridge?

Where did the former Psygnosis people go?

Is studio Soho in Soho?

Do studios locate in Cambridge because of the proximity to the university and lower rents than London?

On the whole, wouldn't people rather be in London? Or too many diversions there?:D

I guess there isn't much games development or heavy-duty commercial software being done in NY or Paris either. But quite a bit in Toyko right?

Here in the Bay Area, the dot com companies took over SF but VC and EA are a safe distance from the City, although it's very accessible. But EA doesn't do heavy if any development here anyways.

EndR said:
(Didn´t see this being posted. Sorry but it comes from The INQ.. thought it could be interesting nonetheless)

NVIDIA CALLS its 90 nanometre graphic core of Playstation 3, RSX. This graphic chip is set to work at 550MHz and Nvidia can guarantee that a million chips will work at this speed as it's not that challenging at this process level. Nvidia can obviously make G70 work fine at 550MHz but it can not ship millions of those chips, more likely tens of thousands. When it comes to Playstation RSX we have every reason to believe that this chip is already taped out, as Nvidia plans to have G71 in Q1 2006 already. We expect to see some of these cards even before CeBIT in March 2006.
We managed to confirm that we can actually talk about RSX, as it's G71 and vice versa. Sony just wants millions of chips and it can get them at 90 nanometre. When it comes to graphic performance, the RSX can process 24 pixels with its 24 pipelines while an Xbox 360 powered with ATI's Xenos, R500 chip can do no more no less than double, 48 pixels per clock.

The rest is here..
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=27463

this does not sound right to me. the G71 for PCs would have functional units that are not needed in a console chip, so therefore that should automatically rule out the G71 being RSX and vice versa.

Also, the C1/Xenos GPU in Xbox 360 can only output 8 pixels per clock because it has 8 ROPs. even though it has a great deal of pixel-shading power to apply to those pixels, as well as anti-aliasing at very small performance cost.

valioso said:
didnt nvidia themselves say they would have a better gpu than the rsx in the market before the ps3 is even released? I remember reading something about that around E3

Not before, after (shocking, I know! :eek:).

With the PlayStation 3 not due until March 2006, won't the next generation of PC graphics be here by then? "At the time consoles are announced, they are so far beyond what people are used to, it's unimaginable," David comments. "At the time they're shipped, there's a narrower window until the next PC architecture." In other words, RSX looks incredible now, but when it launches, there'll be a smaller time until PC looks better.

http://www.bit-tech.net/bits/2005/07/11/nvidia_rsx_interview/2.html

Fast said:
Not before, after (shocking, I know! :eek:).
Nvidia seems to be doing a two-step. First they mentioned it would be surpassed by release, and after the G70s release, it became "soon after."

Taking each in turn:
Is Rare also in Cambridge?
No.. I believe they're in Twycross.
Where did the former Psygnosis people go?
Psygnosis had offices all around the place (Camden, Liverpool, Leeds), but not in Cambridge as far as I know. Many of the people from those days are still employed by SCEE (in various locations).
Is studio Soho in Soho?
It's called 'London Studio' now, and it's located at 15 Great Marlborough Street, near the junction to the the top end of Carnaby Street. Dunno whether that classifies it as in Soho, or not..
Do studios locate in Cambridge because of the proximity to the university and lower rents than London?
Lower rents? Well.. maybe lower than London, but it's pretty expensive to live in Cambridge! I'd expect corporate space (offices and so on) to be pretty expensive anywhere in the south.
On the whole, wouldn't people rather be in London? Or too many diversions there?:D
Kinda like nAo, I don't like big cities.. but sometimes work means I (and the rest of our group who work in Cambridge) have to work in London from time to time. I much prefer places like Cambridge though.. if nothing else, pubs are generally walking/stumbling distance from my flat.. :)

DeanA said:
Nope.. he's not here.. he's next door with Ninja Theory (sat fairly close to DeanoC).

Dean

By chance do you happen to know what Andrew Spencer is doing these days? He was the programmer for the ellipsoid engine game Ecstatica. I admired the sense of style his games possesed and have been curious if he still is working on games.

Welcome to the board, DeanA. Now, enough of the moneky business, spill your guts!! Nah, I know you can't, but I sure would love to hear about the game your working on. I think I got it right, that you're not with Ninja Theory, right? Sorry for any mistakes, and once again welcome, sit back and rela... ah ah ah ah, but use the coaster, please.

Man this freaking sucks.:mad: I want PS3 info so bad. Please can somebody send me to January and place me into the CES 2006 building?:D

Mefisutoferesu said:
.. I sure would love to hear about the game your working on. I think I got it right, that you're not with Ninja Theory, right?
Yeah, that's right.. I'm not with Ninja Theory, I'm with SCEE (*). Actually, I used to work with them a few years back, when they were Just Add Monsters (working on Kung Fu Chaos, and some early dev on what's become Heavenly Sword). Not working on a game.. I'm in a group that writes libraries that 1st party (ie internal teams), and 2nd party (ie people working for SCEE, like Ninja Theory) can use in their games. Oh, and our group did a couple of those E3 demos too..

(*)Opinions I share here are my own, and should not be incorrectly interpreted as the views of SCEE, SCE, or Sony Corporation.

DeanA said:
Yeah, that's right.. I'm not with Ninja Theory, I'm with SCEE (*). Actually, I used to work with them a few years back, when they were Just Add Monsters (working on Kung Fu Chaos, and some early dev on what's become Heavenly Sword). Not working on a game.. I'm in a group that writes libraries that 1st party (ie internal teams), and 2nd party (ie people working for SCEE, like Ninja Theory) can use in their games. Oh, and our group did a couple of those E3 demos too..

(*)Opinions I share here are my own, and should not be incorrectly interpreted as the views of SCEE, SCE, or Sony Corporation.

Be prepared to be assaulted by hundreds of screaming fans asking you all sorts of questions, from "is it teh reeltyme?!" to "what r u wearing?!"...
Just warning you...

Back