Firefox fanbase reaches new high

Until Google puts their hands in it, Firefox or any other browser will probably never be as mainstream as they should.
There is just too few people knowing it even exists!
I think Google is one of the very few companies to be widely known enough to get people to think that Explorer is not the only browser there is.

Many people just don't even know what a "browser" is!! They just go "uhm... the internet is Explorer... u know, the big blue e thing...?"

They say "click on the internet" pointing at the "e" of explorer. And all because the thing is imposed into people when they first put their hands on a PC. Much like WMP.
Wouldn't mind if they weren't complete pieces of crap!!!

Kinda like "playing videogames" used to be "playing Nintendo" and today it's "playing Playstation".

The internet for those people is Explorer and that's that.

maybe so.... but you cant deny that it IS growing all the time.... taking 11,4% of market means that it isnt just some geeks and nerds like you that are using it.... it means that even normal people like me started to use it....

tcwozerekeri26.gif

/me runs

Interestingly, the percentage of pages downloaded with Fireforx is more than double the user base.

I use Firefox but I don't think I'm a fan of it. It's great for comps with powerful CPUs running NT5. Firefox is not so hot on older comps running 9x. IE is SO much faster on these comps. I built a PPro 200@233 with 1MB full speed L2 the other day for fun. Firefox is fairly painful to use on that rig.

I don't think it's a good thing to call it a fanbase. I'd go with userbase. People shouldn't be loyal to things in the 'puter industry. It just blinds ya to other opportunities.

swaaye said:
I don't think it's a good thing to call it a fanbase. I'd go with userbase. People shouldn't be loyal to things in the 'puter industry. It just blinds ya to other opportunities.

i think that it started with fanbase, but you are right, it is becoming userbase.... 10%+ market share for any product means its beyond just some looney fans using it...

Definately userbase.

I've always preferred IE, but there are some show-stopping bugs in it that just makes it impossible to use in some regards. An example is that you can't post files with the multipart encoding type (standard practice to upload data) to https addresses (and MS states it won't be fixed until the next XP service pack :( ), the poor handling of gzipped content (gzip has been a part of HTTP for ages!! :( ) etc.

So today I use Firefox for anything serious.

Cheers

Back