Anyone take up or has taken up boxing?

BlueTsunami

I laugh at you! HA HA HA!
Veteran
I'm going to call this gym tomorrow to see if their accepting people to join their gym. I want to take it up, not only for the physical workouts but for the thechniques. Learning how to box and defend yourself (in the bob and weave sense) is probably a HUGE confidence booster when it comes to intimidating situations.

I have enough free time to devote a good chunk of training, i'm going to see if I have what it takes. :)

Well, personally I prefer recreational activities where my frontal brain lobes don't get repeatedly pummelled against the inside of my cranium, thanks... Kind of helps me maintain my higher mental functions better, if you know what I'm saying; it wasn't OLD AGE that gave Muhammad Ali his shaking disease for example. :devilish:

Guden Oden said:
Well, personally I prefer recreational activities where my frontal brain lobes don't get repeatedly pummelled against the inside of my cranium, thanks... Kind of helps me maintain my higher mental functions better, if you know what I'm saying; it wasn't OLD AGE that gave Muhammad Ali his shaking disease for example. :devilish:

:LOL:

For sure. Thats the scary aspect of it, but i'm looking for some competition in the sports sector. I also have all the "inside" rage that I could unleash on my opponent, i'm sure it will feel good :devilish:. I don't know if It will turn out to be a professional venture (I'm 5'4, not sure if size would affect any professional run though) but I want to see where it leads me. I'm tired of office work (i'm 20 by the way).

Also, I created another thread about programming. Thats still being done. I'm reading up on some mathematics currently but I want to keep in shape to.

I would do this but I'm 6'4" 190 and I think anyone in my weight class who hit me might kill me. There is a yuppie style kickboxing place a couple blocks from my house I've been meaning to check out. I personally think the best way to keep fit is to get involved in a sport. I should practice what I preach.

Take up Tae Kwon Do instead. I'd say kickboxing if you really want to try to become a warrior, but why punish yourself unnecessarily? If you were meant to be a warrior you'd be one already, codified fighting techniques or not.

i've been in some fights (i never started one) including being mugged in penn station. but i never went to boxing school. i just win. BAM!

Tae Kwon Do is a bit sportish imo.

Muay Thai might be more up your alley for fighting skills. A guy at work teaches this part time and even competes in Ultimate Fighting. Crazy stuff.

If you want to learn to defend yourself, boxing is a bit limited. I'd say check out Krav Maga (sp?), or maybe Kung Fu, but it should focus on practical techniques.

Ultimate fighting is the only evidence we really need that we evolved from apes, and by all definitions still are hairy beastly bloodthirsty animals who prefer to wear clothes sometimes. It's a completely appallingly barbaric "sport" that simply should be banned the fuck off the face of the planet as it degrades all of the human species. We might as well make a sport out of kiddyrape as well if we want to keep on with stuff like this.

Guden Oden said:
Ultimate fighting is the only evidence we really need that we evolved from apes, and by all definitions still are hairy beastly bloodthirsty animals who prefer to wear clothes sometimes. It's a completely appallingly barbaric "sport" that simply should be banned the fuck off the face of the planet as it degrades all of the human species. We might as well make a sport out of kiddyrape as well if we want to keep on with stuff like this.

Nah, I'd say you're a perfect example of why some people enjoy boxing and sports such as that.

Guden Oden said:

:LOL:

I just want to hit people and have it be justified because its a sport :LOL:

Honeslty though, its the whole competitive thing. You want to pair up and fight against people who are strong and stronger than you. To see where your limit lies and surpass it. I agree that it is barbaric but seeing boxers fight and the winning blow being dealt. It must feel real good that you've won. I see it like that.

Ty said:
Tae Kwon Do is a bit sportish imo.

Muay Thai might be more up your alley for fighting skills. A guy at work teaches this part time and even competes in Ultimate Fighting. Crazy stuff.

Yeah, as far as defending yourself in real world situations (Guns, Knives, a group of people) training with Muay Thai and Tae Kwon Do (and other techniques) would probably be better suited. I'm not sure why i'm so attracted to boxing though. Watching video of boxers training and leading up to a match just gets my blood going. I want to feel that exhilaration.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back