Did ATI hold back on R520 to make room for R580?

neliz said:
Hey! that's impossible remember? nV's big arguement on the GTX512 is that it's the memory that's the hardest to get.. now ATi doesn't want another N/A disaster now would it?

It just makes R520/R580 a lot cheaper to produce for AIB partners which is a good thing for OEM wins, losing 3dmark06 doesn't make you the loser in the sales department...

I also believe that ATI would want to contain costs and use 1.2ns memory if this part is to ship in volume and without immediate competion from G71 (and Orton did indeed claim that they are expecting OEM wins for R580). Besides, they will very likely need to keep some powder dry for NVDA's launch, when those cherry-picked R580 cores can ship with 900MHz modules. I don't see how else they will respond if the 7900GTX manages to clock to 700MHz+ as speculated.

Unknown Soldier said:
I'm impressed how well the R520 does when OC's and using Higher rated Memory.

HIS Radeon X1800XT OC Edition(700Core/1600Memory). They over clock the chip to 756 core and 1800(900Mhz) Memory and it hits 10358 3DMark05.

Very Impressive... and shows that ATI could've done better.

As i've said before, I think ATI are also holding back on the R580 .. pity, would love to see it with 1800(900Mhz) memory.

US

Now I am not sure about IQ. Or why they only test with 8xAF..

What really stands out to me is how seemingly superior G70 is to the R520. ATi gets simply hammered in all the basic tests and Nvidia pretty much holds their own with 4XAA+8xAF. The GTX512 even bests a seriously over clocked R520.

Now I know there are some questions about quality and texture filtering shortcuts that Nvidia is doing, but man what raw power. I am beginning to wonder if ATi is going to even be competitive with the R580 once the G71 is released.

I am still excited about my X1800XT that arrives tomorrow. It will run my native resolution of 1280x720 with 4xAA+16XAF at really high FPS. Which is all I really need.

It does seem that ATi has lost the beat with where they were with the 9700. ATi seems to have abandoned what made them strong and Nvidia has embraced it. Not surprisingly the results show the error of that reasoning.

Erm. Is there a non OC-ed version of HIS X1800XT ? (just a silly question, I might have ordered this one, not even knowing it is OC-ed ...)

However, look at this particular test: FEAR

Without Soft Shadows, HIS X1800XT OC is fastr than the 512 GTX, what is strange because the Asus X1800 XT Top with similar clocks is a lot slower. Is that and editor's error, or such scenarios could really happen ?

Look at the Soft Shadows enabled, even the standard GTX is faster than a OC-ed X1800 XT. PCF soft shadows ?

Last edited by a moderator:
boltneck said:
I am beginning to wonder if ATi is going to even be competitive with the R580 once the G71 is released.

[...]

It does seem that ATi has lost the beat with where they were with the 9700. ATi seems to have abandoned what made them strong and Nvidia has embraced it. Not surprisingly the results show the error of that reasoning.
I feel this way, too, only NV30 seemed a bit too backward-looking (except for double Z), while R520 seems too forward-looking. Seems like NV "integrating" the texturing unit with the pixel shaders is a bit like "unified" pixel shading, allowing for greater flexibility, whereas ATI's decoupled texture units seem unnecessary and perhaps even a limiting factor with current games. R520 & co. seem like a stepping stone to SM4, while G70 & co. seem firmly rooted in SM3.

Given the leaked R580 benches, both from ATI and independent sites, a G71 @ 700MHz--be it 24 or 32 pipes--seems like it'll just walk all over it in most current benchmarks.

If G71 is priced sky-high and ATI shows lower prices across the board (thanks to their more efficient use of their various bits and pieces), tho, then I'll certainly understand their design goals. It's just that they're harder to fathom when you look at, say, X1600TX vs. 6800GS at current prices.

I was thinking more along the lines of how they structure their pipelines.

R300 was wide and shallow. Everyone saw that this was indeed better than narrow and deep which Nvidia was doing at the time.

Now Ati has seemingly completely abandoned that, and gone with narrow and deep Vs Nvidia who has embraced wide and shallow.

How can you be sitting there at Ati and knowing your won history actually do this and not realize how dumb it is? ATi is abandoning Pixel Fill rate way to soon in favor of Shader fill rate. What’s worse their Shaders which are supposed to be great totally get hammered by the G70's

This looks to only get worse with the R580 and G71.

Ati needs to get back to kicking some raw power but and not "clever design" themselves out of competition.

Behind the scenes with ATI - Eric Demers interview

PH!: What top clock speeds are you expecting for the X1800 XT with air cooling and with extreme cooling? How far can the X1800 go without a die shrink?

ED: Well, with air cooling in the 90GT, we've seen core graphics clocks hit up to 800 MHz. With more extreme cooling, we've surpassed 1 GHz!! So there's a lot of headroom in these chips. On the memory side, I think we've gone well above 800 MHz, but the X1800XT now ships with 800 MHz memory, so, often, the limiting factor ends up being the dram speed. Board design also contributes to memory clock limitation. A few changes on the current board with faster memory could do significant improvements to memory. Perhaps a future product J

PH!: We suspect that the architecture first shown with the R520 has lots of reserves. The former “big one”, the R300 has doubled in pipeline count and clock speed throughout its lifespan. We assume the R520 will do similar… will we ever see a 32 pipeline (or rather say, 8 quads) R520 running around 1 GHz or will the unified shader architecture wash it away beforehand? Does it make sense to speak about unified shaders at all when we have Ultra-Threading?

ED: Well, I won't comment on unannounced products, but there's a lot invested into a new generation. About 110 man years for the R5xx generation. So, trying to maximize the number of parts we can get from it is important, to justify all the investment. The R5xx series was designed to be more flexible than previous architectures, since the metrics of yesterday have become less meaningful. 2 years ago, it mattered more how many “pipelines” you have, perhaps with some notion of the number of Z's or textures per pipe, but the basic metric was that. Today, we have moved away from that paradigm. Today, applications don't use fix function pipelines anymore, but create powerful shader programs to execute on the HW. It's not “how many pixels can you pop out per second?”, it's “what is the throughput of your shader”?. Our R5xx architecture has moved away from simply scaling of pipelines, to now scaling in terms of ALU operations, texture operations, flow control, Z operations as well as more traditional raster operations (all of this bathing in a design that can maximize the work done by each part). So will there be a 1 GHz 32 pipeline R5xx part? Well, we've ceased to measure things that way, so it won't be so easy to describe. But, yes, we will have more parts from this generation :)

:)

*edit* also posted here
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?p=680064#post680064

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s nice, but they seem to be wrong.

It looks to me like its still very much about "pipelines and Z per clock". If you are going to say all that fancy stuff about "Shader throughput" then maybe your product should actually deliver it.

They are even getting beaten handily in Source. Which is supposed to be their ace in the hole. Or at least I thought it was.

With ATi possibly using 1.1ns GDDR3 ram instead of the 1.2ns, they may be holding back the R580 instead, and waiting for nVidia's release to bump up the core & memory.

boltneck said:
Dont they have more memory Bandwidth than Nvidia now? And a better Memory Controler.

Faster than the 7800GTX 256mb, slower than the 512mb GTX

X1800XL =500
7800GT =500
7800 GTX=600
X1800XT=750
7800 GTX 512mb=850

I expect ATI thinks just increasing the clock speed will yeild a big enough increase in multitexturing fill rate (they lead in pure fill rate)

boltneck said:
They are even getting beaten handily in Source. Which is supposed to be their ace in the hole. Or at least I thought it was.

the 18 or 19? there are no benchmarks out with the correct drivers yet..

boltneck said:
Dont they have more memory Bandwidth than Nvidia now? And a better Memory Controler.

No the GTX 512 has 17.2% more memory bandwidth than the x1900xt - the x1900xt actually has less bandwith than the x1800xt.

Pete said:
I feel this way, too, only NV30 seemed a bit too backward-looking (except for double Z), while R520 seems too forward-looking.
That seems reasonably true. And for most of its life R300 was stymied by a complete lack of decent SM2 games, so NV30 was happily competitive in DX8 games.

Now it looks like R520 is in the same position, with a reliance upon games that use per pixel dynamic branching and lots of ALU operations.

Seems like NV "integrating" the texturing unit with the pixel shaders is a bit like "unified" pixel shading, allowing for greater flexibility, whereas ATI's decoupled texture units seem unnecessary and perhaps even a limiting factor with current games.
No, it's simply the count of texturing units that's holding R520 back. Oh, and the lack of double-rate Z - which will plague R580 too.

Shadowmapping (as opposed to stencil shadow volumes) will favour R580 as the lack of double-rate Z will no longer be such a dominant factor in games.

R520 & co. seem like a stepping stone to SM4, while G70 & co. seem firmly rooted in SM3.

Given the leaked R580 benches, both from ATI and independent sites, a G71 @ 700MHz--be it 24 or 32 pipes--seems like it'll just walk all over it in most current benchmarks.
I have my doubts - texturing bandwidth is simply going to strangle a card with a theoretical texture fillrate of 16800 or 22400. G71's memory will be no faster than GTX-512's.

Of course there's always the possibility that G71 has a far superior memory architecture (like R520 over R420) - but I doubt it.

If G71 is priced sky-high and ATI shows lower prices across the board (thanks to their more efficient use of their various bits and pieces), tho, then I'll certainly understand their design goals. It's just that they're harder to fathom when you look at, say, X1600TX vs. 6800GS at current prices.
Why compare those when X1600XT is priced against a 256MB 6600GT? Shouldn't you be asking how an 8-pipe 7600 is going to compare with X1600XT?

Jawed

Jawed said:
Why compare those when X1600XT is priced against a 256MB 6600GT? Shouldn't you be asking how an 8-pipe 7600 is going to compare with X1600XT?

Jawed

Methinks a 1700 would spoil any 7600 paper launch..
Looks like G70 and G71 took up so much time that the low and mid-end will be all r5x0

neliz said:
Methinks a 1700 would spoil any 7600 paper launch..
Looks like G70 and G71 took up so much time that the low and mid-end will be all r5x0

You have something to share with the group about X1700 launch date? Please do! ;) I haven't heard anything that would lead me to expect there is a chance we'd see it before 7600.

Jawed said:
No, it's simply the count of texturing units that's holding R520 back. Oh, and the lack of double-rate Z - which will plague R580 too.

Shadowmapping (as opposed to stencil shadow volumes) will favour R580 as the lack of double-rate Z will no longer be such a dominant factor in games.
Jawed
I'm almost sure RV350 has double z capability, are you sure R580 and R520 don't?

ATI architectures have double-rate Z for AA, but RV530 is the only one with double-rate Z for non-AA (and quad-rate Z for AA).

This seems to be the long-standing reason for ATI cards' disadvantage in D3 and Chronicles of Riddick, both of which rely upon non-AA Z fill-rate for stencil shadow volumes.

We can't be sure about R580, yet, because it's not quite released. But the "16-1-3-1" spec looks ominous in comparison with RV530's "4-1-3-2".

Jawed

Back