Avivo Transcoding....

Impressive stuff. But does that mean then that there could be potential uses for users of Avid HD and Adobe Premeier Pro and so on in rendering the raw footage to the final version through the GPU itself? Cause right now the whole thing is CPU intensive and it takes a while...even on the fastest procs.

Great Job ATI! The guys from the german online-mag CHIP.de have more detailed infos and some benchmarks about the Avivo Xcode techonology.

"CHIP Online had the opportunity to test a beta version of ATI’s still secret „Avivo XCode“ encoding tool. It uses the power of the GPU to reduce video encoding time –into virtually any format – drastically. Our results show: The new ATI solution easily does it 5 times faster than even the fastest CPUs available today!!

Look at http://www.chip.de/artikel/c1_artikel_17670022.html

a3dmaster said:
Great Job ATI! The guys from the german online-mag CHIP.de have more detailed infos and some benchmarks about the Avivo Xcode techonology.

"CHIP Online had the opportunity to test a beta version of ATI’s still secret „Avivo XCode“ encoding tool. It uses the power of the GPU to reduce video encoding time –into virtually any format – drastically. Our results show: The new ATI solution easily does it 5 times faster than even the fastest CPUs available today!!

Look at http://www.chip.de/artikel/c1_artikel_17670022.html

From same source:

Remarkable: During the encoding process, XCode uses the main CPU to its maximum – the task manager continually shows 100 percent usage. In contrast, the Windows Media Encoder (who’s supposed to use only the CPU) shows fluctuations from 75 to 100 percent.

That's not what i expect when they talk about moving the encoder processing load from the CPU to the GPU. :(

nobody said:
From same source:

That's not what i expect when they talk about moving the encoder processing load from the CPU to the GPU. :(

That's true, but without Avivo XCode your CPU load is still 100 % and the encoder process is up to 5 times longer.

nobody said:
From same source:

I think the point is that when encoding, not only is the GPU speeding things up dramatically, but your CPU is being used to it's maximum to speed encoding as much as possible. They point out that when using WME, your CPU is not even fully utilized, increasing the encode time even more than necessary.

Very interesting results. It would be nice if someone could release an actual clip encoded with Xcode. Also, I am not sure how "beta" this tool is, if it is purely for demonstration purposes or if this resembles the actual tool that will be released (it looks like a soon-to-be-released product), but it seems very limited in what the user can can do. I'm not talking about inputting multiple files - this can be handled externally - but things like setting exact bitrates, multiple pass encoding, triggering certain parameters in the codecs, etc. Perhaps ATI are reserving some of these features for a "Pro" version?

We need some samples for quality comparisons to find out if this tool is for "joe average" or if it produces results that are comparable to the best-of-breed encoders out there. Of course, what we really want is the option to control this ourselves, but if it is this fast all the time there may never be a reason to select "Fastest" mode. ;)

PS. If this thing really is as spectacular as these articles suggest, I bet Intel and AMD are not very happy about it. That reason to buy a $1,000 CPU just flew out the window and enter the $500 video card that also raises the bar on graphics in your games.

wireframe said:
PS. If this thing really is as spectacular as these articles suggest, I bet Intel and AMD are not very happy about it. That reason to buy a $1,000 CPU just flew out the window and enter the $500 video card that also raises the bar on graphics in your games.

See Nobody's post above near the end. CPU still matters, apparently --tho it will be interesting to see just how much. I hope somebody benches the thing with a variety of them.

Back