Merrick: Revolution Specs probably will never be released

In an interview with Dutch magazine [N]Gamer, senior director of marketing Jim Merrick is quoted as saying: "Regarding the specifications, we will probably never 'release' this information as we feel that it is largely irrelevant.

"While some of our competitors enjoy comparing specifications, it has little or nothing to do with how satisfied the consumers will be with the system and the games once they are released."

And there was no budging him, either: "I know people are hungry for information on Revolution and we respect and appreciate that, but we don't want to contribute to the cloud of meaningless information that surrounds the next generation systems."

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=61492

In other words they are'nt posting spec's because they are inferrior and in the public's eye's that it bad and so that they avoid all the comparison's.

quite a smart move.

"I know people are hungry for information on Revolution and we respect and appreciate that, but we don't want to contribute to the cloud of meaningless information that surrounds the next generation systems."

Makes me sad but I guess thats pretty true. I want to know though.

:(

While I agree with the sentiment, I am not sure how well received this will be in the market. These things have a way of taking on a life of their own (look at all the forum posts just throwing "meaningless" specs back and forth). This could end up alienating the fan base and the consequence would be a return of the favor.

Once the Revolution is released and the specs become known, will the lack of hype leading up to the actual implementation make perception swing one way or the other?

I am all for "it's about the games," but there is a geek living somewhere in my head that wants to gather meaningless information, like hardware specifications, in great abundance. Just gimmie!

I am not sure, but Nintendo never released a flops number for GCN, did it? If I remember correctly, they only released a conservative estimate of real world in game polygon performance.

This is the console equivalent of taking the Fifth. "We refuse to disclose the specs of our machine on the grounds we will thus prove it's not as powerful as the rivals."

On the one hand it's fair and proper. Average Joe doesn't know sqat about specs anyway, and Slightly-More-Educated-Then-Average-Tom doesn't really understand the specs and makes wrong comparisons. But for a technical forum like this and for the technophiles, this statements sucks. Perhaps we'll get details anyway from IBM and ATi information?

!eVo!-X Ant UK said:
In other words they are'nt posting spec's because they are inferrior and in the public's eye's that it bad and so that they avoid all the comparison's.

quite a smart move.
Ofcourse.Thats why the found an alternative idea to make the experience different with the controller.
Inferior or not, Revolution isnt about hardware anyways. ;)
If they post specs people will judge and critisize the Revolution too soon on something that has nothing to do with what it is supposed to offer.

They might not "release" specs, but it surely won't take loke till someone rather than Nintendo opens up the box and analyses the chips. It really is kinda simple, unless they make Nintendo chips no one knows anything about, which they won't, they will use IBM and ATI chips, with known quantities and qualities of memory.

Developers will of course know the specs, and one way or another they will leak out. No console had fully disclosed specs anyway by their manufacturer, particulars about the hardware is always withheld, but have cropped up on this board anyway (such as things that differ between xgpu and geforce 3/4, or the weirdo blending modes of the graphics synth, or TEV specifics in flipper).

Shifty Geezer said:
On the one hand it's fair and proper. Average Joe doesn't know sqat about specs anyway, and Slightly-More-Educated-Then-Average-Tom doesn't really understand the specs and makes wrong comparisons. But for a technical forum like this and for the technophiles, this statements sucks.

Exactly my opinion.

I think it's a smart stance by Nintendo - I doubt the average person cares or will have it factor in to a Nintendo purchase decision. It sucks for us, but as has been mentioned hopefully the info will leak.

"Regarding the specifications, we will probably never 'release' this information as we feel that it is largely irrelevant."

Well the devs will have to know what they're coding for, so eventually the word will spread.

I think Nintendo's message is not "We don't want people to know the specs", their message is "We will not base our marketing campaign on specs, unlike our competitors". Then if people are so eager to know the specs (a very small minority made of internet geeks like us really), i'm sure they will find ways to know.

Can't say i don't see the good side of that.

xbdestroya said:
I think it's a smart stance by Nintendo - I doubt the average person cares or will have it factor in to a Nintendo purchase decision. It sucks for us, but as has been mentioned hopefully the info will leak.

Not smart if you ask me. I'm sure some people also thought Nintendo not worrying about online gaming was smart too.:p Seriously what are they scared of? If your games are SOOO good and "innovative" then releasing the specs shouldn't hurt right?

I mean if this machine is suppose to be a revolution then how can some damn numbers stop it's HUGE change to the world?:???:

This is a horrible move from a PR point of view.

Even people who don't understand the first thing about specs knows that if you have 2 competitors willing to put theirs on the box, and a third that does not, the third is probably hiding something unpleasant.

Discretion in the product you are selling breeds mistrust of your product. If you want to attract the non-gamer to your system, you've got to make the non-gamer trust you, and keeping obvious secrets from them isn't really the way to go about building that trust.

But the question remains about how important this hype is and how influential the "geeks" are in carrying the torch for the platform on a technical level. I tend to think this sort of information filters down even though (especially though) people don't generally understand what these numbers mean. The consumer wants to feel they are making an informed choice and while I agree that it should be about the games, we have to admit that theoreticals play a part in this. On some level it even figures into the games as people will look at launch (or currently available titles at the time of purchase) and try to assess future game performance by playing the specs game. They may not do so correctly, but they want to feel like they are on top of things.

I am, of course, speaking generally here and not about how you or I may go about it.

PS. I am actually not much of a console "type," only having recently purchased a PS2 after a twenty year sabatical since the Atari 2600. However, I see strong potential in consoles and we see how the few with "numbers" can affect the PC world, so why not the console one?

mckmas8808 said:
Not smart if you ask me. I'm sure some people also thought Nintendo not worrying about online gaming was smart too.:p Seriously what are they scared of? If your games are SOOO good and "innovative" then releasing the specs shouldn't hurt right?

I mean if this machine is suppose to be a revolution then how can some damn numbers stop it's HUGE change to the world?:???:

It's like this: who in the world that was buying a Nintendo before actually knew what the specs were? Who among those even know that there are power specs that could be compared?

I just don't see this effecting the parent in the store whatsoever. I am among one of the few individuals inconvenienced by this. ;)

mckmas8808 said:
BEcause if you give people something else to focus on, they won't necessarily look at what's important. If Nintendo release specs that are a quarter of the oppositions say, in the various playgrounds of this world word will out that Revolution is less of a machine which will in turn affect people's attitude. It might have the best games ever but if there's a stigma due to owning an inferior console, people won't buy it. And that hapens for sure. There's whole industry's created built on absolutely nothing than bigger umbers. Designer gear sells so that people can wear it and advertise the fact they've spent more money than lesser people. People worry all the time about what other people think of their height, weight, car, yadayadayada. People measure themselves against each other in an attempt to determine where they come, and numbers are the main form of measurement. Why else do we have a Guiness Book of Records??

If you look at it the other way, as Nintendo have, if what's important is the games, why do people want to know the specs? If it looks good, who cares if it's running 1 million poly's a second or 1 trillion? Stats only exist for theoretical comparisons (c'mon, you've been here long enough to know that firsthand!!). Instead of comparing Revolution's stats to XB360s and PS3s, Nintenod want people to compare Nintendo's games to XB360s and PS3s. Stats have absolutely no positive contribution to that, so why bother releasing that info, especially when some parties will turn that potentially into negative marketting?

xbdestroya said:
It's like this: who in the world that was buying a Nintendo before actually knew what the specs were? Who among those even know that there are power specs that could be compared?

I just don't see this effecting the parent in the store whatsoever. I am among one of the few individuals inconvenienced by this. ;)

You're right. If most people wouldn't be affect in the store on a everyday level, then why go against the grain and not release specs. I mean they even released specs for the DS even though the PSP was a million times more powerful.

Back