DRM going way to far

Powderkeg said:
I might pick up a used one just to file. :devilish:

damn.... i'll have to give you green rep for this one.... dunno if i can do it now, but be free to call me out anytime on my promise....

i really hate DRM, specially when it goes this far.... i know artists should be payed.... so make website where artists will put their songs and cash will go to them....

oooopsa..... i dont thin RIAA and "publishers" would like that.....:devilish:

Sinistar said:
If only 1% of the sales were in Texas, that would still be 2.1 Billion dollar fine.
Texas has ~0.76% of the US population so that's about 160.000 CDs (out of 2.1 million as stated by Sony) if they buy as much music as everyone else. If we assume that they don't, or that not all sales can be verified... Let's be nice to Sony BMG and let them off with $1 billion flat.

Sinistar said:
If only 1% of the sales were in Texas, that would still be 2.1 Billion dollar fine.

i like other calculation... that LAME crew might use.... RIAA says its up to few $k per infrigment....

now 5.000.000 CD's that are violating LAME licence == SHITLOAD......:devilish:

Zaphod said:
Texas has ~0.76% of the US population so that's about 160.000 CDs (out of 2.1 million as stated by Sony) if they buy as much music as everyone else. If we assume that they don't, or that not all sales can be verified... Let's be nice to Sony BMG and let them off with $1 billion flat.

you forgot about copyright infrigment they did.... ;)
all bets how much will Sony have to pay for this are open....:LOL:

Zaphod said:

Er that 0.76% number just can't be right. Texas has 20 million people.

So that would give Texas 6.7% of the US population. These numbers are starting to look real good.:D

Edit: US population 295 Mil. Texas 20 Mil

Last edited by a moderator:
Sinistar said:
So were talking BILLIONS!!:LOL:

and thats just _ONE_ lawsuit..... infringing on LAME could cost them even more.... and take whole RIAA shit with it....
read that INQ article i linked to..

great article on BBC....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4456970.stm

its good that mainstream media is keeping the story alive, that way even people who have no computer knowladge will become aware of what was done.... one story and they would forget it, but this is (if i am correct) at least 5th story on BBC about the issue.... noone can overlook that. when media outlet like BBC runs some story 5 times... thats big.

and this.....

While Sony and the normally vocal recording industry associations stood largely silent - a company executive dismissed the concerns stating that "most people don't even know what a rootkit is, so why should they care about it" - the repercussions escalated daily.

....makes me go :devilish: @ Sony

silence said:
another great article... that shows BZB was right about this being more then what appears.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=2177
We've had a few people on these boards hold up DRM as a way for small companies to ensure they get paid for their work, which is great in theory. However, what will happen in reality is the same thing that happens with regards to patents, copyrights, fair use, etc. Big rapacious corporations will screw the public using DRM, their lawyers and their deep pockets - if we let them.

I write custom software. With DRM, I would need a certificate for everything, even a simple bugfix. Costs: about 10,000 $ for each one, at the moment...

How is that helping the small companies? It's only helping the big ones that sell large volumes, as Microsoft will make sure that software is distributed and paid for.

DiGuru said:
I write custom software. With DRM, I would need a certificate for everything, even a simple bugfix. Costs: about 10,000 $ for each one, at the moment...

How is that helping the small companies? It's only helping the big ones that sell large volumes, as Microsoft will make sure that software is distributed and paid for.
Well I got into a discussion on the forum a while back with a quite adamant guy who insisted that as a technology, DRM would guarentee that smaller companies got paid for their work, rather than having it subject to copyright infringement. I suppose that could work if certificates were much, much cheaper, but preventing copying does not automatically equal a rise in sales.

However, I agree with you, and as I pointed out above - it's really just being implemented by big companies to screw more money out of customers by charging us for all the things we take for granted today, like time shifting, fair use copies for the car or kids, forwarding through ads, multiple viewing, etc. These are all the things that some people in the movie and music industry think they can charge people for, and think that DRM is the technology that will enable it.

Back