DRM going way to far

silence said:
i really wanna watch what will Sony do in court...:devilish:

Plead ignorance, blame first4internet, settle out of court for an undisclosed sum. Next year comeback with a rootkit that isn't so easily detected.

AlphaWolf said:
Plead ignorance, blame first4internet, settle out of court for an undisclosed sum. Next year comeback with a rootkit that isn't so easily detected.
Well, apparently it's now proof positive that they've been ripping off GPL code as well. In an particulary ironic twist of fate the identified sections are part of the FairPlay code from Videolan written by 'DVD Jon'.

I imagine there are quite a lot of comapnies that would throw a bit of cash towards the FSF for defending the GPL. I swear you couldn't make this up if you tried.

yap... the part where they took GPL code is something i really love.

"we want to protect our intelectual property"!!!!!!!!!..... by stealing others.....

as i said, this will be fun one to watch in the courts....

ohhh.....BTW : i was looking for some stuff on some "not so legal" sites (not pr0n) and there is already exploit in ALL of those sites that uses ActiveX control given by Sony.... so if you uninstall this shit, you are open to attacks via IE and its ActiveX, and if you dont use it.... you have rootkit on your comp.... lovely... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
_xxx_ said:
That was not all yet:

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=27714
The more disturbing part is that it appears the control is signed. I wonder who at MS approved this, and how this blatant security hole got through the barest minimum of QC?

To be clear, Microsoft doesn't sign 3rd party ActiveX controls. If you want to make an ActiveX, you buy a certificate from Verisign or some other certificate trust provider (there are many) and you sign it with that certificate. Next time you get any ActiveX, look at the user consent dialog and it will tell you who issued the certificate.

The certificate is not intended to prove the control is secure (it can't), it is intended to provide a guarantee that no one other than Sony/F4I could have created it and that the package has not been tampered with since it was created.

The idea is that based on the certificate (which proves the origin and integrity of the package), the user can make a decision whether or not to trust the provider of the software.

A WHQL driver certificate is different. WHQL certificates are only granted after a Windows hardware driver has undergone QA testing to verify it meets minimum standards for stability and compliance. WHQL can't catch everything, but it is a guarantee that the driver has undergone some degree of stability and functionality testing, and should have a lower chance of wrecking your system.

Last edited by a moderator:
A new case for everyone to discuss...

Texas is suing Sony BMG Music Entertainment, alleging the company illegally installed spyware on millions of music CDs that Attorney General Greg Abbott says can make computers “vulnerable to computer viruses and other forms of attack.â€￾

The lawsuit alleges the company violated a new Texas law protecting consumers from hidden spyware.

http://www.kwtx.com/news/headlines/1996172.html

Powderkeg said:
A new case for everyone to discuss...
They're demanding $100.000 per violation! :oops:

That is in fact great! Potentially much more powerful at setting a precedent than the class action lawsuits set up by a bunch of 'ambulance chasing' law firms.

wow.... this seems like Sony will get its ass wiped all over the place...
i love that part where INQ calculated how much authors of LAME might get for Sony's infrigment of their IP..... according to RIAA it's couple thousend $ per one.... Sony made over 5 million CD's.....

this might bite Sony, RIAA and specially DRM in the ass more then anyone hoped...... :devilish:

bloody fuckers....

Zaphod said:
They're demanding $100.000 per violation! :oops:

That is in fact great! Potentially much more powerful at setting a precedent than the class action lawsuits set up by a bunch of 'ambulance chasing' law firms.

sorry for new post, but i didnt know its so much they ask for each violation.....
Sony might be in deep shit... together with RIAA and their schemes....

from what i gathered its about total of 5 million CDs shipped and 2+million sold.....

people were saying Sony might bankrupt over this.... i didnt support that, but now.... maybe not Sony as corp, but their music division is in deep shit......

check that article on INQ about Sony infringing LAME IP...... and what RIAA can do about it andafter it....

Zaphod said:
If anyone has one of these things and live in Texas do pop over to the Tesas Attorney General's site and fill out the complaint form. Help Sony loose some money, and your state could surely need the extra revenue. ;)

n4pclapping.gif

Back