DRM going way to far

urm... well.... you know there are older people around here, so colledge guy is kid for some;) ..... and yes, i think that was it, i read about it, but was lazy to google, so i didnt know all the facts, thanks for clearing it - we old gits have problems with memory (not RAM:LOL: )

I actually don't buy CDs by any of the big labels anymore (probably more because IMO 99% of the stuff I don't like or simply get tired of because it runs over and over again on the radio day by day). If something I download is to my liking, I order the CD (which usually ends up being small electronic labels [Goa, ambient etc] or jpop) so for the most part, I haven't come across most of the newest DRM methods.

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
I'm boycotting all Sony products now. I've got no idea if anything else they sell contains mal-ware.

vote with cash, thats only thing you can do..... not only they installed rootkits all over the world, but they gave easy access to that shit to bunch of script kiddies who will no doubt find many uses for gift Sony gave them.... :devilish:

i just hope that this story doesnt die too fast, so people start thinking about DRM and its consequence more....

silence said:
vote with cash, thats only thing you can do..... not only they installed rootkits all over the world, but they gave easy access to that shit to bunch of script kiddies who will no doubt find many uses for gift Sony gave them.... :devilish:

i just hope that this story doesnt die too fast, so people start thinking about DRM and its consequence more....
You know why they are doing this? It's not about piracy, it's about creating an alternative DRM that will not operate with I-Tunes so Sony can tell their customers to hassle Apple about opening up the I-Pod DRM. Honest customers suffer just so the music cartels can play politics against Apple out of greed. Link here.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know why they are doing this? It's not about piracy, it's about creating an alternative DRM that will not operate with I-Tunes so Sony can tell their customers to hassle Apple about opening up the I-Pod DRM. Honest customers suffer just so the music cartels can play politics against the Apple out of greed. Link here.

:oops:

/me speechless

You shouldn't be - the music and movie cartels have been lying to you for years about the reasons for taking away your rights to what you buy.

well.... i made long post, then i realized its pointless.... whats there to say?

silence said:
vote with cash, thats only thing you can do...

No it's not, vote for politicians based upon their stance on civil liberties, actually become active politically, show up to public debates and often ask, this and this is going on, what are you doing to protect civil liberties. Hammer the point home, the problem in the west is a largely apathetic (I'm not interested in hearing disenfranchised crap).

Saem said:
No it's not, vote for politicians based upon their stance on civil liberties, actually become active politically, show up to public debates and often ask, this and this is going on, what are you doing to protect civil liberties. Hammer the point home, the problem in the west is a largely apathetic (I'm not interested in hearing disenfranchised crap).

sorry to disappoint you, but around here that doesnt work.....

_xxx_ said:
Now they want to circumvent us all through DRM? Makes me shudder... :oops:
Not to stray too far off topic, but am I missing a joke here? Have my English skills gone totally to shite? Or are you confusing 'circumvention'=='avoidance' with 'circumcision'=='something else entirely'?

Well I was reading at osnews that apparently Sony is pulling out their DRM thru the use of rootkits. Crazy world we live in.

Zaphod said:
Not to stray too far off topic, but am I missing a joke here? Have my English skills gone totally to shite? Or are you confusing 'circumvention'=='avoidance' with 'circumcision'=='something else entirely'?

Awwww!!!!! :oops:

I'm boycotting all Sony products now. I've got no idea if anything else they sell contains mal-ware.
Same here. I've always been wary of Sony, but now more so than ever.

suryad said:
Well I was reading at osnews that apparently Sony is pulling out their DRM thru the use of rootkits.
No. They put out a 'service pack' removing the cloaking component only. The CD filter driver and system hooks remain. And they said that they had not made any determination whether to stop rolling out releases using the software in its current or any altered form.

Zaphod said:
No. They put out a 'service pack' removing the cloaking component only. The CD filter driver and system hooks remain. And they said that they had not made any determination whether to stop rolling out releases using the software in its current or any altered form.

I bet they will now it turns out that hackers are using this rootkit to hide their own viruses, worms and backdoors. How long before there's a class action suit or a large company gets hacked using the components of Sony's rootkit?

Back