Votes: 15 13.3%
  • Cell specs.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other specs.

Votes: 11 9.7%

• Total voters

Mythos

Regular
Do you think that the final PS3 will look different than what was shown @ E3?

Will Sony redesign the PS3 to look different than tubular design?

Will Sony redesign the PS3 controller to lokk more like the dual shock controller?

Will RSX be the same specs as E3?

Will Cell be the same specs as E3?

Will any other specs be changed from E3 (HDMI ports, Wifi ability, USB, etc..)?

Wondering if some of these changes that may occur are due to saving costs, manufactorablity, the E3 console and specs were only prototypes, etc..?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know why but I just have this gut feeling that the RSX is going to take a slight change in clock rate, but I have bigger gut feeling that the controller is going to be the big change, that thing need to take a long hard look at it's self and get in shape.

ps3 will loose a few connections, etc
controller will loose the batarang look but stay fairly similar
rsx may take a slight hit in speed

This poll is too limited in options; for example redesign of a controller and spec increase is not a granted scenario. And my own choice - 'no change' - is also not an option. ;)

I'm going with the controller for a few reasons:

A) No developers have touched the controller (Mark Rein hints that, I could be wrong though)
B) The reaction to the controller has been rather bad.
C) Sony has gone out of their way to state that the controller does not necessarily represent the final controller.
D) At TGS, Phil Harrison hinted that they've got some things about the controller that Sony doesn't feel like sharing at the moment.

I doubt the specs are going to decrease, I don't believe they did with the PSP (Didn't they increase?), the PS2, or PS (Not exactly sure about this one). Sony is pretty good with the specs, and they've given me no reason to doubt them. It's stuff like "Cell Storage" and such that I don't have faith in.

I hope they dont change the controller. Hopefully they have enough sense to realize the complaints are from people who haven't even tried it yet.
I think it's kind of a cool looking icon for the system. As long as it's comfortable...

They'll change some other specs though. Probably nothing major but I expect it to change for the better to keep up with the changing market demand.

seismologist said:
I hope they dont change the controller. Hopefully they have enough sense to realize the complaints are from people who haven't even tried it yet.
I think it's kind of a cool looking icon for the system. As long as it's comfortable...
Don't let Sony hear you...

Who has used the controller?

I don't really have a problem with PS3's specs. I think most of reaction(good or bad) has been towards the overall look of the system......

So...a good amount of people think that the controller will change?...any ideas on what changes will take place?

Also, those that think there will be no changes...why?

Any other people think that the console itself will change (questions about vents on the console)(Sony realize they can arrange things differntly)?

EpicZero said:
Don't let Sony hear you...

Who has used the controller?

I've used the MS Sidewinder Gamepad Pro which ironically is almost the exact same chape and I thought it was rather comfortable, albiet limited as a gamepad.

I've been thinking and well i want to say i think the sd slot will go . I think sony would be wise to keep just the memory stick port on the system.

I voted they'd change the RSX, but that's a bit silly vote to give as there's been little to none info of RSX given, so I think whatever comes will be "changed" compared to info we have today :)

Other than that, I think they'll change the PS3 casing a bit, mainly add more ventilation holes to the base of the machine, beside where the front usb ports are. There's also lot of empty space on the back for ventilation.
I'd like a cool Revolution style illuminated disc slot too, but I don't think it'll be there.

Don't think they'll change the Cell, but if anything maybe the eigth "redundant" processor will be activated if yields prove to be good enough.

The ports in the back, while I don't yet understand why there is two HDMI and two ethernet ports, I think they'll stay there with the rest and the front memory interfaces too.

The controller, I like it as it is. If you've seen it in pics where someone is holding it, it does appear to be much bigger than what it looks like in most photographs. I saw a short video where it was being set for photographing and there was a hand positioning the controller to various "poses", and, funnyily, it looked almost huge, or the hand was very small (an asian person's hand?).
The controller looks quite comfortable and imo also aestethically well desingned, and I can't wait to get my hands on it.
I think (again imo) much of the critisism is pretty much unfounded; many people were expecting a radical change from the DualShock and were either disappointed when it was just a change in "contours". It'd be interesting to hearwhat "people outside the funboy-internet-forums" think ;)

jvd said:
I've been thinking and well i want to say i think the sd slot will go . I think sony would be wise to keep just the memory stick port on the system.
You'd still need Memorysticks to save games anyway, I don't think the SD cards can be used to save games (or save anything?). They'd be there just for reading for example photos taken with Canon cameras, or mp3's etc... A bit like the PSP and iPod connectivity with xbos360 where they can only be used for reading data.
That would be no loss for Sony to allow competing memory formats to be used in PS3 as the "full" memory card compatibility would anyway be with just Memorysticks (PSP interconnectivity, possibly using the PS3 as some kind of pvr recording to Memorysticks to be later viewed on PSP... is this why there is two HDMI's? the other one an "in" port where you'd later be able to connect a new "LocationFree" unit that'd also function as a tuner for PS3+HDD pvr)

rabidrabbit said:
Don't think they'll change the Cell, but if anything maybe the eigth "redundant" processor will be activated if yields prove to be good enough.

I would assume that the clock will be the first to change based on yeilds, not the disabled SPU .

But would changing the clock affect more also the other components than activating a SPU?
Would memory clock need to be increased too, RSX clock?
I don't know as I'm no expert on hw design, but I remember reading in PS2 the clockspeeds were somehow "tied together" so that the CPU had to be some odd 294.22342 and GPU some 150.22342 to be "in sunc". Would the PS3 be same?

Back