Best MP3 player (Software)?

I suggest MusikCube. It has a nice interface, smart playlist, query support (you can make your own smart playlists based on simplified querys like rating>3 and genre=rock), fadeout and fadein between tracks, a very small footprint, and some nice plugins. Check it out here http://musikcube.com/ (no idea of how to make it a link) :p

It doesn't play SIDs tho, not to my knowledge anyway... :( There used to be a WA2.x plugin for that, but the development stopped ages ago, even before WA3 was released.

PARANOiA said:
I actually really dig Itunes. I love the library organisation features and ratings. Sorry. :oops:

Those are not exclusive to iTunes. I would have stuck with iTunes but the Quicktime garbage paired with it's sluggishness, I gave up.

On linux, Amarok is king.

I use Winamp, its not all I would like but its closest I have found.
In terms of library/playlist management Realplayer most suits me. (also had a good quick ripper)
I changed when Real couldn't seem to let me use my at the time new 5.1 speakers properly & winamp did.

iTunes is awful, doesn't let you edit auto found track details before ripping, doesn't seem to have a 'now playing' list that you can edit, barely any customisation, tends to not actually play full albums even when that was what you told it to do :mad:

can someone recomend a player with ripping and encoding, easy enough to be used by my girlfriend?

Thanks

I like Winamp...prob gonna switch back to Winamp lite cause I just scrunged through the media playlist that Winamp full has and saved the links so I will just get the lite version, less memory footprint, no plugins I dont need and very fast startup.

vb said:
can someone recomend a player with ripping and encoding, easy enough to be used by my girlfriend?
Audiograbber, if you spend five minutes setting it up first. Or dBPoweramp. Not players as such, but both decent rippers without too intimidating interfaces.

If you need the 'even my grandma'/mum/girlfriend can do it all with one app' factor to be the end all there's really no way past iTunes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back