Projectors

You are aware that there are many PJ manufacturers out there other than DELL right? Why the continuing fascination with DELL products?

PC-Engine said:
You are aware that there are many PJ manufacturers out there other than DELL right? Why the continuing fascination with DELL products?

Continuing facination? mine or in general? i dont think i mentioned dell before on this forum..lol..

anyway.. ive got an account with dell what can i say.. got 5 comps for work on lease.

anyway i was browsing the site and saw it.. wondered if anyone else here had used similar or had any models they would advise on.. basicaly the exact opposite of what ya did which was just make a comment about the thread.

Well I just moved here last year from Abbotsford B.C., but It seems a lot milder this year. Last year we had snow since sept. and this year nadda. :)

The specs on that Dell are certainly nice. DLP is definitely the way to go when it comes to projectors.

ANova said:
The specs on that Dell are certainly nice. DLP is definitely the way to go when it comes to projectors.

Sadly, only if you aren't sensitive to RBE.
If you are (like me *sigh*), then DLP will only be the technology of choice when 3-chip DLPs become affordable...

It's really maddening - the picture of even some really low-budget DLPs is awesome, but I get a headache of those rainbow patterns after a while - even on projectors with a 7-segment wheel. :(

Also, remember before buying a projector, check the cost of bulbs and their lifespan. Where I work one of our department heads went out and bought a cheap projector without doing any research. Turns out the bulbs are $400 each and only rated for 500 hours. That projector got thrown away after the second bulb.

the maddman said:
Turns out the bulbs are $400 each and only rated for 500 hours. That projector got thrown away after the second bulb.
WTH? 500 hours is only about 8 months of use at best, assuming the thing only runs 2 hours/day. How can a bulb cost SO MUCH (and last so little)???

Guden Oden said:
WTH? 500 hours is only about 8 months of use at best, assuming the thing only runs 2 hours/day. How can a bulb cost SO MUCH (and last so little)???

I don't recall the brand right off the top of my head, but it was a "Super Bright" and "Super Portable" projector. It ran extremely hot, which I bet is the cause for the poor lamp life.

I just want to remind people that lamp cost is a real concern with projectors, I'm sure most people around here will do the right thing and factor in the running costs, but a lot of people don't even think about bulbs until it's to late.

P.S. I want one of Mitsubishi's LED powered pocket projector, that looks like a neat toy. http://www.mitsubishi-presentations.com/proj_pocket.asp

Thanks Gubbi! :) Sanyo will get my money I guess.

Does anyone know acoustically transparent screens? I'd like to place the centre behind the screen.

those things are hella more expensive than i would have guessed. we have them at work in conference rooms and at the library where i volunteer teach.

Vadi said:
Thanks Gubbi! :) Sanyo will get my money I guess.

Does anyone know acoustically transparent screens? I'd like to place the centre behind the screen.

Stewart makes some screens that get good reviews, and I've always heard good things about their MicroPerf screen.
http://www.stewartfilmscreen.com/product_information/projection_screens_18.html

You can get any screen they make with the MicroPerf fabric instead of the regular fabric. Not sure what the cost is, but I'm guessing it's not cheap. Probably as much/more than the projector. You may want to rethink you idea of putting the center behind the screen. :)

Also, if you like the Sanyo Z4 make sure you check out the Panasonic AE900. They are almost identical in specs/price, but make sure you compare the differences to see which one suits you the best.

My plan is to get to a Z4 in the next month or two, and paint a screen directly on the wall , then frame it with 1x3s painted black. The main reason I'm getting the Z4 is the fact you can blow dust off the LCDs panels through some small openings in the projector casing. I've got 2 big dogs that shed hair/dander like crazy, and anything to help keep the panels clean is very high on my list.

JBark thanks! :) I think I like the Sanyo better because of the non-dynamic gamma and iris controls. Also I don't need vertical lens-shift.

I guess I won't put the centre behind the screen then. I figured it wouldn't be that up high anyways. I'll use the same speaker for the centre channel like the rest because I read that Josef D'Appolito himself (I'll get some DIY-speakers in D'Appolito configuration) says his config isn't useful in horizontal alignment.

Back