PowerVR Interview for SGX/USSE(tm)

Good work.

It really would be a treat to see a raft of IGPs based on this, putting the cat amongst the pigeons as the shift into Vista ramps up.

It seems the possibility is very real...

Jawed

Reading that it's supposed to have twice the trilinear performance than MBX makes me go hmmmm.... ;)

Q16: One of the most pressing questions from the public when it comes to PowerVR is whether you'll ever re-enter the PC graphics market. Considering that an IP selling business scheme is optimal for the other markets IMG is currently addressing, yet might be less optimal for the cut-throat PC graphics market, do you believe that there might be such a chance in the future?
Yes.
Wooow! :cool:

Soonâ„¢?

Albeit I actually teach in a private high school, I'm not a teacher in the strict sense. Do not confuse the lion with the cat ;)

Just found it interesting :)

Nice interview, I hope they'll re-enter the desktop market, I'd love to see some more variety/competition.

There's some decent info in the article. I wish PVR well (if only because of Simon and K).

The interviewee wasn't the janitor, right?

Reverend said:
The interviewee wasn't the janitor, right?

More than one (and no not janitors LOL). I sent the questions over and probably whoever bumped by them decided to answer at least one *snicker*.

Ailuros said:
Took me a while, but here it is finally :)

http://www.pvrgenerations.co.uk/index.shtml

Enjoy.
There's some interesting information there, thank you.

A couple of questions I'd like to have asked:
  1. Of what is SGX an accronym? Earlier products were obvious - PCX for PC, ARX for arcade, CLX for console and MBX for mobile.
  2. Sega Sammy Naomi 3 - Was PowerVR S5 unable to match the performance of NVidia's desktop GPUs, if so why, and what is IMG doing about it?
  3. Can we expect future high end arcade machines from Sega Sammy to use PowerVR?
  4. Is MBX Pro still on offer? Are there any licencees of it?
With the second question, note that Sega was quoted in Edge as saying PVR couldn't deliver sufficient power, and also that "Eurasia" was stated by IMG as utilising lessons learnt from the first implementation of PVR S5, i.e. Naomi 3. As such, I suppose it's possible that Naomi 3 had some unfortunate flaw, fixed in "Eurasia" but too late for Sega.

amk said:
  1. Of what is SGX an accronym? Earlier products were obvious - PCX for PC, ARX for arcade, CLX for console and MBX for mobile.
  2. Sega Sammy Naomi 3 - Was PowerVR S5 unable to match the performance of NVidia's desktop GPUs, if so why, and what is IMG doing about it?
  3. Can we expect future high end arcade machines from Sega Sammy to use PowerVR?
  4. Is MBX Pro still on offer? Are there any licencees of it?

1. shader graphics ?

2. SEGA S5 != Serie 5 ;)

3. ask Sega sammy :)

4. see www.powervr.com ; what is MBX pro? ;)

amk said:
A couple of questions I'd like to have asked:

Don't shoot me if I should end up being wrong, but I'll try....

Of what is SGX an accronym? Earlier products were obvious - PCX for PC, ARX for arcade, CLX for console and MBX for mobile.

As the bigger cat already said, something with "shaders" probably.

Sega Sammy Naomi 3 - Was PowerVR S5 unable to match the performance of NVidia's desktop GPUs, if so why, and what is IMG doing about it?
Can we expect future high end arcade machines from Sega Sammy to use PowerVR?

I don't think so. Rumour mill might be accurate in this instance.

Is MBX Pro still on offer? Are there any licencees of it?

I don't see it anywhere on their sites anymore. It could be that it was a bit too fast and had too high power requirements for today's demands. Since there were rumours about a 90nm MBX@200MHz, if that should be true it's plenty for a high end PDA/handheld gaming device.

With the second question, note that Sega was quoted in Edge as saying PVR couldn't deliver sufficient power, and also that "Eurasia" was stated by IMG as utilising lessons learnt from the first implementation of PVR S5, i.e. Naomi 3. As such, I suppose it's possible that Naomi 3 had some unfortunate flaw, fixed in "Eurasia" but too late for Sega.

If SEGA hints on insufficient power then it might very well be that it was actually the case. "That" S5 was slated according to my understanding for late 2003/early 2004 at best. You get significant performance increases within half a year in the 3D market.

Eurasia is according to my understanding just a family name to which SGX also belongs to. A family of unified shader cores which all belong to the Series5 technological family.

That 'yes' on Q16 is rather thin gruel to get overly excited about given all the caveats in the question itself.

But, y'know, it's nice to have them about as a potential competitor with experience and a base to work from. Even without an actual product in the pc space they are arguably "#3", in the sense that if the big two stumble into serious technical roadblocks they could pop up credibly into the high-end, I think, more quickly than some others.

IF they do come back into the add on market scene it be great news . Thier mbx and now sgx tech is some great stuff and if they can make good igp products for intel use and then add in boards with ati and nvidia performance we'd be in good shape and most likely see cheaper boards coming out instead of more expensive ones

Okay, where's Demirug to unbury the not-quite-completely deleted incriminating notes? :LOL:

a good read. i was about to ask who the intervewee was but as i see you already answered that question i'll carry on make my own assumtions : )

Back