Carmack talks Doom 3

Doomtrooper, what most casual gamers don't see is that Quake3 is a sport, not a game. It is all about skill and skill development, and the fun a player gets from it (or not) is the same kind of fun you get from doing any other kind of sport. Which isn't quite what most other games aim for. DOOM3 will, in its first incarnation at least, have a completely different focus, and will probably appeal more to someone looking for a nice game type experience. It may not ever have the same foothold among the online gamers, because due to the way it was initially said to be programmed, it would be more open to cheating.

Then again, that never stopped CounterStrike from being popular.

Entropy

While doing some research, I ran across a technical presentation by NVIDIA's Mark Kilgard - CEDEC 2001 -- Robust Stencil Shadow Volumes. It provides some insight to shadow techniques Carmack is developing for the new Doom.

I like the statement near the end, it doesn't beat around the bush.

"Carmacks optimizations in these area's will make the Doom engine awesome"

John Carmack has a very impressive mind and that's probably an understatment.

The NWO developers dont seem to be very good at PR, you'd at least expect a nice website with a forum (I know they have the forum ... but damn it all looks pretty drab) with regular posts of new screenshots etc etc.

The NWO developers dont seem to be very good at PR, you'd at least expect a nice website with a forum (I know they have the forum ... but damn it all looks pretty drab) with regular posts of new screenshots etc etc.

I care about how the game plays, sounds, and looks more than the quality of the website. The demo is the most important thing for me. The website seem fine to me, nothing spectacular just functional. Flash websites with fancy effects aren't important to me. I want a game that is awesome, not an awesome website.

Back