Resident Evil 4 (PS2) Reviews

Deepak

B3D Yoddha
Veteran
I wonder why no one has posted this yet. IGN RE4 (PS2) review:

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/660/660397p1.html

They have given it 9.5

"......Resident Evil 4 port has been masterfully executed. It's technically one of the best PS2 titles to date, even sporting progressive scan and true widescreen (unlike the letterboxed GCN)."

"Tailored for PlayStation 2
Resident Evil 4 offered up absolutely stunning visuals on GameCube. While skeptics may have chattered it couldn't be pulled off on the PlayStation 2, they will now find themselves eating their words. Well, mostly. The beautiful art direction of RE4 is kept intact, and while there have been sacrifices on the PS2, they are minor -- just like any other indiscretions in the game. Textures have been dumbed down and lighting, a relatively big player, is not quite as impressive.

However, the framerate, even in the true widescreen mode with progressive scan on, is almost always 30 (although certain heavy effect areas will stutter). Capcom, who is no stranger to PS2, really stretched its resources, which makes RE4 one of the prettiest to hit the console yet."

Last edited by a moderator:
Deepak said:
However, the framerate, even in the true widescreen mode with progressive scan on, is almost always 30 (although certain heavy effect areas will stutter). Capcom, who is no stranger to PS2, really stretched its resources, which makes RE4 one of the prettiest to hit the console yet."

They must have reviewed this before they reviewed SOTC. And forgetting everything about God of War and many other titles that really shine on PS2.
Still, great game by all accounts.

i love the logic. "it looks just as good, except for the lighting, but the art direction is intact, except for the texture quality"

still, i'm planning on picking it up even though i own the GC release. i'm really interested in the ada mission, and RE4 is THE console game of 2005 for me.

see colon said:
still, i'm planning on picking it up even though i own the GC release. i'm really interested in the ada mission, and RE4 is THE console game of 2005 for me.

same here. i'm just building up some more justification to get a pstwo.

darkblu said:
same here. i'm just building up some more justification to get a pstwo.

Well, SOTC will be the first game i'll buy in more than a year. And the reason i'll take my good old PS2 out of the box since last xmas or something...
But then in Europe it won't come out before February which is... well, i have no words to comment really...

I am probably one of the few people who thinks RE4 is good but overrated.

I would have given the GC version a 8.5/10 at best.

london-boy said:
They must have reviewed this before they reviewed SOTC. And forgetting everything about God of War and many other titles that really shine on PS2.

Speaking of SOTC, can you (or anyone else reading this) tell me if the american version support progressive and/or anamorphic widescreen?

I'm thinking of importing a US PSTwo with GT4, RE4 and SOTC to play on my LCD TV.

london-boy said:

Well they say it's one of the prettiest, not the prettiest.

PC-Engine said:
Anybody have sales numbers for the PS2 version?

No, but I saw this....

http://www.the-magicbox.com/game20051127.shtml

- Capcom revealed the sales forecast of 4 upcoming game titles:
  • Biohazard 4 / Resident Evil 4 (PS2) - 2 million copies (Japan / North America / Europe)

How much did GC version sell? This 2 million figure seems a bit conservative to me esp for all 3 territories.

PC-Engine said:
Anybody have sales numbers for the PS2 version?

In the US it sold around 65k in October (on 4 days of sales). That's pretty terrible performance for a AAA game. Another statistic to the assertion that time-delayed exclusives never sell well? (GCN figures: 574k LTD)

We don't have European numbers but it entered the charts at No. 7 then fell to 8th the next week, 15th the week after, and is now at 35th. So not great either, and no legs on the sales.

It comes out today in Japan, where it's expected to beat the GCN sales of 221k. Probably the only territory were it will come close at least.

A bit off-topic, but I just saw in my local supermarket the GC being sold for €60!! It was the Zelda Windwalker pack. I think it was just one unit, as it was in a bargain bin with other stuff. Didn't stay there long enough to check closer in fear of that I could not resist myself.... :)
I'm also going to buy the PS2 version of RE4, but seeing this bargain GC I started to think should I buy the GC and RE4 for it. I know the PS2 version is slightly graphically inferior, but from what I've seen, it should not make the game that much less enjoyable than on GC, plus there's the additional bonuses that you don't get in the GC RE4.
Then again, that GC + RE4 would be about €100, whereas PS2 RE4 would be just €60... but on the other hand the GC has the Zelda bundled, and I'm kinda looking forward to the new Zelda game.
Then, there's the prolem that I really wouldn't like to use the composite cable for connecting the GC, and as the only other option here in EU for GC is RGB scart, and all my scarts are already occupied it would be too much hassle to disconnect my exsisting equipment when I want to play the GC with acceptable image quality.
... damn, I wish I'd never seen that Game Cube!!!!!

FWIW, my principle is whenever i come across a console at a mature stage of its market life and i know at least one game i want to play on it - i get it. AAMOF that's how i buy consoles in general, as launch/early titles on any console seldom manage to impress me (so far the original soulcalibur has been the only exception).

re the composite - it's not such a deal breaker, really. i played re4 over composite on my cube and i did enjoy the game to its fulles all those 7 passes through it. would i have preferred it over a better video link - sure, do i wish i didn't play it instead - hell no ; )

In the US it sold around 65k in October (on 4 days of sales). That's pretty terrible performance for a AAA game. Another statistic to the assertion that time-delayed exclusives never sell well? (GCN figures: 574k LTD)

It was 7 days of sales, one full week. Your right, its terrible sales for a game that everyone thought would sell far better then the GC version (320,000 in 2 and a half weeks). Apparently they had to release this game for PS2 because PS2 has the userbase to make it a multi million seller.. according to some people here anyway *cough*Quincy, Kolgar, Sonic*cough*. I wonder what they have to say for themselves now then? :LOL:

By the way where did you get the life to date RE4 GameCube numbers from?

Not for nothing but they did piss off alot of people when they announced RE was going Cube exclusive. I truely believe this has a lot to do with it. Now they look like fools crawling back to the PS2 to save RE. Gamers are a pretty loyal bunch, look at all the ******ism going around, they support the big titles and their consoles but if you screw them, God help you.

Just ask Sega, I bet people are still pissed off about them not supporting the SegaCD. :p

Disclaimer**I don't really believe all this, I just think RE is way past it's prime.**

Teasy said:
It was 7 days of sales, one full week. Your right, its terrible sales for a game that everyone thought would sell far better then the GC version (320,000 in 2 and a half weeks). Apparently they had to release this game for PS2 because PS2 has the userbase to make it a multi million seller.. according to some people here anyway *cough*Quincy, Kolgar, Sonic*cough*. I wonder what they have to say for themselves now then? :LOL:

By the way where did you get the life to date RE4 GameCube numbers from?

Was it a week? Sorry about that, I wasn't entirely sure when the NPD recorded the end day of Octobers sales. The US GCN LTD came from here plus October's numbers from that other link. Japan's figures would not have changed significantly from that numer I quoted, to date. Probably a couple of k, but sales fall sharply in Japan because of the major second hand market.

Not for nothing but they did piss off alot of people when they announced RE was going Cube exclusive. I truely believe this has a lot to do with it. Now they look like fools crawling back to the PS2 to save RE

They didn't need to crawl back to PS2 to save Resident Evil though and its only now that they truley look like fools. They pissed off GameCube fans by announcing the game for PS2 weeks before the GameCube version was finally coming out after years of claiming it would never come out for any other system. And for what?.. 65,000 copies in the US? If they hadn't announced the game for PS2, and even better not let the game slip from December 20th to January 10th they would have sold more then that amount extra on GameCube! :LOL:

Disclaimer**I don't really believe all this, I just think RE is way past it's prime.**

The old RE games were past there prime, RE4 is a new wave though and is as good as anything else out there this generation. It even made a bit of headway in sales on GameCube compared to the last few traditional RE games, despite the way Capcom messed up the launch.

Back