Finally on Linux

silence

Regular
I finally managed to get great distro to work..... Mandriva 2006.
It has everything i need. I really love it.

silence said:
I finally managed to get great distro to work..... Mandriva 2006.
It has everything i need. I really love it.

Welcome to the club! I am a Mandrike user since Mandrake 8.0. It's just a very balanced distro, not too hardcore and not too amateurish like Fedora and the likes. :p

heh... i had latest SuSe and some others before, but i think i'll stick with Mandriva for now.
i would be using SuSe if it wasnt such a PITA to connect to internet.... that bloody Kinternet simply didnt wanna recognize that i have modem configuered as router and that i AM connected :rolleyes: ..... Mandriva works like charm..... i really like it....

Mandrake is pretty sweet, been using it since I dropped Red Hat(6.0 then). The hardcore geek in me says I'm supposed to run Gentoo or Slackware, but I guess I'm just too damn lazy and comfortable. B)

I started out with Slackware in 1996, and you know what? I'm not longing for those days again. That was a STEEP learning curve. :)

But I hate the new name, Mandriva. Just doesn't sound right. :-/

im about a week or so away from building my first linux box. Planning on making a fileserver with a cap of around 3TB of space, depending on price drops for the 500gig drives i might just go for a 3.5TB system.

epic

My ubuntu install disk was no good:(
Gave some errors trying to install about not finding crap...

i like Kubuntu better (KDE)..... all i can say is that i really pleased with what i have seen so far....
if there was only more software support from major software companies i would dump win forever (i still need some stuff in win :???:).

oh well.... i am glad i finally got really good Linux i like and that doesnt give me any trouble....

So far my favourite is Ubuntu. I briefly got to play around with SUSE and it seemed very nice. I really do not like Fedora. I haven't tried Mandriva/Mandrake for a few versions now. Last I tried was 9, maybe and the partition program wrecked my hard drive, somehow. I told it to reformat the ext3 partition I had on my drive from using Fedora/Redhat, and all my partitions were destroyed. I haven't tried Mandriva/Mandrake since.

GRMBL!!!!!...... any advice on good firewall that i could use with my Linux?
by default in Mandriva 2006 firewall is down and even though i am behind router and it is Linux i still dont like idea of being without firewall....

i tried to install some firewalls, but i didnt manage to do it (YES, I AM BIIIG NOOB).....
well, i managed to install some other software (Firefox 1.0.7 and Open Office 2.0), so i am not that dumb, its just that i cant find firewall that will work....

YES, there is firewall on my Mandriva DVD, but stupid ass instalation wont recognize DVD and it wants to install from one of 6 CDs :devilish::devilish::devilish::devilish:

i guess i am safer with Linux running behind router, but being connected to net without firewall running is simply giving me the creeps.... (legacy of our wonderfull windows (i cant place more devils, but i would)).

please help.

Most linux distributions have a firewall installed by default. The only trick is configuring it. Look up the iptables software package.

Chalnoth said:
Most linux distributions have a firewall installed by default. The only trick is configuring it. Look up the iptables software package.

heh.... thats the one that it wont install.... i found both RPMs for firewall, but one with iptables wont install....:devilish:

there is firewall installed, but bloody thing is turned off by default and whats worse when you try to install it, it asks you to put one of 6 CDs instead of bloody DVD... now i been trying to do whatever i could.... i even found RPMs on DVD and copied them to HDD and managed to create instalation folder that will work from HDD (wow..... not bad for n00b;)), but bloody things wont install, they give me error with iptables (since i googled i bit i know what they are), so i am pretty much frustrated right now.....

dunno... maybe i'll reinstall it tomorrow with ALL firewall options checked.... :devilish:
maybe that will do the trick....

but in case that doesnt do the trick..... anyone knows installable firewall for Linux?

The iptables commands are only like 3-4 lines, if you're sitting behind another box. Look up the man page, or here (see code listing 5.2).

EDIT: Nevermid. Just saw you couldn't install iptables. Disregard :oops:

Last edited by a moderator:
silence said:
heh.... thats the one that it wont install.... i found both RPMs for firewall, but one with iptables wont install....:devilish:
Well, what error messages does it give when you try to install it?

silence said:

there is firewall installed, but bloody thing is turned off by default and whats worse when you try to install it, it asks you to put one of 6 CDs instead of bloody DVD... now i been trying to do whatever i could.... i even found RPMs on DVD and copied them to HDD and managed to create instalation folder that will work from HDD (wow..... not bad for n00b;)), but bloody things wont install, they give me error with iptables (since i googled i bit i know what they are), so i am pretty much frustrated right now.....

dunno... maybe i'll reinstall it tomorrow with ALL firewall options checked.... :devilish:
maybe that will do the trick....

but in case that doesnt do the trick..... anyone knows installable firewall for Linux?

I am still on Mandrake 10.1, since I am always slow to adopt. Anyway, your Mandrake (now Mandriva) should come bundled with shorewall http://www.shorewall.net. RPMs for Mandrake http://www.monkeynoodle.org/comp/net/shorewall/. So basically you got two choices: Try the new rpms or try compiling the source files(./configure, make, make install), which usually works better.
As for the CD/DVD problem: In the Mandrake Control center, there's the software field, where you can name the sources of your packages: I guess, it is set to 6CDs instead of 1 DVD. Just change the entries and it should work just fine.

argh.... i know there is shorewall.... stupid ass installs shorewall RPM, but wont install RPM with iptables for shorewall....

i'll try one more thing and then come back.... maybe this time it will work....

after all, you are talking too complete n00b ;)

EDIT :: looks like i am going for complete reinstall.... i managed to get it to recognize DVD media for RPMs ( /me proud), but yesterday i screwed something else.... since install is like 30 mins tops, i think i can spare some time to do it.... :oops:

Last edited by a moderator:
I know this exists in SUSE and it might even exist in mandrake, but perhaps there are setting somewhere that can allow you to stipulate an install source location?

Saem said:
I know this exists in SUSE and it might even exist in mandrake, but perhaps there are setting somewhere that can allow you to stipulate an install source location?

it does, but being a noob it took me some time to figuere it out ;)

On a side note I installed PC-BSD as my secondary OS just two days ago...
KDE is still far from being good, that thing is rather heavy and preferences are spread all around it (making it difficult for a first time user like me to find the right place to set stuff).

Back