Gizmondo Review

Why are you looking at reviews now?
Is there a new interest since the scandal?
I thought Gizmondo was released well over a year ago, perhaps almost two [!] and it was still crap back then.
Or was it not actually released, only announced?

It's just been released in the US and so will be fetching new interest from the uS media, which contributes a substantial part to the internet's gaming sites.

Is it me, or does the whole world scream flop when they see this? Yet there are still people working for that company?.. I mean... why?

They get paid! Sounds to me like a rather obvious investment scam. Convince a few investors you've got an amazing idea, then gobble up their money in salaries and bonuses and 'corporate expenses'. When the company goes bust it's no skin off your nose, you keep the million dollar house and car, and go form another venture startup in a totally field and convince more investors they'll make a killing if they just put up the $30 million startup costs, and then another $25 million RnD, and of course $30 million advertising...

Well, they don't appear to be quite as bad in these screens:
1848_h.jpg

screen3.jpg

Granted, neither of these are released yet, so there's a good chance, (given the company history here), that they're completely bogus.

The fact that they're 640x480 doesn't necessarily mean they're fakes. They're just dev shots. MS, Sony, and Nintendo do it all the time.

Regardless of what you think of Gizmondo, I've gotta believe that a 400 mhz ARM processor and a GoForce 4500 are capable of a lot more than what you see in SSX.

Yes, that SSX shot shows EA don't really care to develop proper software. But without proper softrware it doesn't matter what the hardware's like. The reviewer didn't find anything he liked gamewise, and if that's the case why would anyone buy Gizmondo over PSP or DS?

Why would you pay $400 for a PSP-esque handheld that isn't made by either Sony or Nintendo?

I won't, that's for sure. I've said before and I said again that I think it'll flop like few other consoles in the history of floppage have done. That said, I think it's amazing that they've actually built the thing at all, that they were actually able to secure funding for this, and that at least on paper it's fairly powerful. Thus, once the company flops and the price of the software and hardware plummets, I think it'll be an interesting piece of history to own if nothing else, and I'm curious to see what it's capable of.

Blade said:
Why would you pay $400 for a PSP-esque handheld that isn't made by either Sony or Nintendo?
If, by "PSP-esque, you mean 'of a similar level of technology to' then fair enough, a USD400 price tag seems a tad ridiculous.
If, however, you mean 'why pay $400 for any handheld that is not made by Sony or Nintendo?' then that statement is simply ridiculous brand ******ism in itself.

edit: Wa-hahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!! - check out the censorship ^

Last edited by a moderator:
Back