Open Office 2.0

silence

Regular
It been released today and since i been using it for very long, since 1.1.x version and betas of 2.0 i can only say that for a free software this is prolly one of greatest Open Source projects out there.... i really love and i recommand everyone to try it....

http://www.openoffice.org/

try using torrents, cause it seems that site is hit pretty hard by people DLing it.....
as i said, give it a try, you wont regrat.....

Anyone know if OpenOffice draw can read Visio diagrams? I'd like to have Visio on my machine at work, but no one wants to pay for a licence. I also want to install OpenOffice, but I don't have admin on my machine. I could probably get it installed if I had a good reason.

TBH, i dont know.... it supports really broad range of formats, so everything is possible.
Maybe you could try at home and see?

As far as usual office stuff, OO is as good as M$.... i specially like option to save my files as PDF. so i have original on my comp, but i send PDFs to my customers..... looks better and its damn easy, all you have to do is click one button....

silence said:
as fra as i kinow it can open any M$ doc.....

Sounds too PRish for me.

"Open" any doc doesn't sound like it means open it "correctly." Also, I can't objectively take anyone's advice who writes "M$".

Joe DeFuria said:
Sounds too PRish for me.

"Open" any doc doesn't sound like it means open it "correctly." Also, I can't objectively take anyone's advice who writes "M$".

is this better?
as far as i know and i have used this product for almost a year in 1.1.x and 1.9.x (2.0 betas) versions) it can open any Microsoft document i have had on my comp.

My mom, who is 63 and has never used naything but Microsfot Office came to my comp and managed to do 12 pages translation without asking me anything.... thats how close these products are.
This isnt PRish, this is personal experience.

And as for "M$", if thats your only reason not to try it, then i am sorry for you, dont get me wrong, but i personally do not like the way how M$ operates and i really hope that products like this or Firefox will force M$ to work with standards.... i wont even mention Frontpage.....
Windows are only M$ product i use and i am switching to Linux before Vista comes for sure. If you find my way of expressing what i think about Microsfot offensive, i am NOT sorry, it is my right.

But, that doesnt change fact that there is really great product out there .... for free.... that can do most if not all of M$ Office tasks.....

For regular user...e.g. my mom.... there is no difference at all..... maybe you have higher expectations and offcourse you have every right to expect the best (in your opinion), but trying it wont hurt you..... its FREE..... you dont need EULA to run it....
you can check it out and tell us what you think....

IMO, it would be great to get opinion from someone who is using Microsoft products like you and compere experience..... i admit i might have lost my objectivity, cause i been using OO for over a year and it was always enough for my needs....
Maybe you have different needs....

To each, his own.....

GL&HF :D

silence said:
My mom, who is 63 and has never used naything but Microsfot Office came to my comp and managed to do 12 pages translation without asking me anything.... thats how close these products are.

Again, if I can't use VBA, it's useless to me.

Joe DeFuria said:
Again, if I can't use VBA, it's useless to me.
DID YOU TRY IT? :devilish:

please, come back here again AFETR you try it and have your complaints..... i just posted that great piece of sofetware was out and that it can help many people WHO DO NOT USE VBA for their work...... _IF_ you have anything against that, PLEASE, install the product and then come here and whine or bitch or whatever you are doing.......

this is sad that person is bitching over something he didnt even try...... if you need some M$ specific functions, you might not find this product satisfactory, but UNTILL YOU TRY IT, PLEASE SHUT THE FUCK UP.

When you DL and compere, please inform us about shortcomings of this product, until that.....
STFU!!!!!!!!!:devilish:

silence said:
DID YOU TRY IT? :devilish:

No, I'm not going to install it when someone who has should be able to answer a simple question.

i just posted that great piece of sofetware wae out and that it can help many people WHO DO NOT USE VBA for their work......

That's great.

_IF_ you have anything against that, PLEASE, install the product and then come here and whine or bitch or whateve3r you are doing.......

IF IT SUPPORTS VBA I WILL INSTALL IT AND TRY IT.

but UNTILL YOU TRY IT, PLEASE SHUT THE FUCK UP.

PLEASE, IF YOU ARE GOING TO PIMP THE SOFTWARE, HAVE BEEN USING IT FOR A WHILE NOW...ANSWER A SIMPLE QUESTION ABOUT IT FOR ME, OR STFU.

:rolleyes:

Hi Joe...

Want to send me an example VBA Excel file and I will see if OpenOffice will open it or not.

I have both OpenOffice 2.0 beta and MS Office XP installed on my PC currently.

-----------------------------------

Edit: Already answered by AlphaWolf..

how simple can this be....i do NOT use VBA, but every single M$ document i worked with, worked in OO.....

can that be more simple?..... i dont have need for VBA, i dont use it and thats it.... i cant tell you if it does or doesnt support it......
and sure as hell i aint checking that for you..... DL if you want....

is there sign that forces people to DL Open Office???????? _NO_

so quit whining and bitching BEFORE you try it......
do i force you to try it? NO
do i tell you to try it? NO
will world end if you dont try it? NO

so FOF...... i just gave people information that there is good product out there and that it might save them lots of $...... if it doesnt suit your needs -> go fucking DL it, try and then come here bitching.... so far you seem like person that is in Gates's ass up to his feet.....

did anyone force you to read this?...NO

then WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU COMMENTING BEFORE YOU TRIED THE PRODUCT?

Thanks...one clarification: does it execute VBA, or just "load store it?" (So the doc doesn't lose functionality with MS office.)

Tahir2 said:
Hi Joe...

Want to send me an example VBA Excel file and I will see if OpenOffice will open it or not.

I have both OpenOffice 2.0 beta and MS Office XP installed on my PC currently.

-----------------------------------

Edit: Already answered by AlphaWolf..

I'll send you a PM....thanks!

Joe DeFuria said:
Thanks...one clarification: does it execute VBA, or just "load store it?" (So the doc doesn't lose functionality with MS office.)

as far as i know..... i had no problem opening M$ docs.... was there VBA? i dunno....
what i cared is that i had FREE alternative that can work with M$ files....

as i said... DL it, try it... then come here......

What I care about is that it works with the files I need it to work with, and that I can support solutions that I have already developed, and that I can continue to develop office solutions that my customers expect.

Joe DeFuria said:
Does it support VBA?
Well yes, but then again, no... OOo Basic is quite extensive and feature rich, and it has Beanshell, Javascript and Python (very neat) bindings as well. However, it's obviously *not* MS Visual Basic for Applications. There's quite a bit of documentation on macro conversion around, though.

There's a branch working on native VBA support, but I'm not sure how complete the compatibility layer is. Probably not very. In addition Sun have added a 'Macro Migration Wizard' to StarOffice, but I'm not sure how well this works either.

Back