what i need in order to run a 24/7 domain home server?

FX5900

Newcomer
Thinking about using one of my computer as a server that will run 24/7... A domain server where everyone can connect to it from anywhere..

Can that be done using win xp pro? if so, how?

Do i need win 2000/NT?

BTW, this will be my very first attempt @ this. I've done LAN setups, but not this. Thanks!

Well I'd go for some kind of linux if it shouldn't need a reboot every couple of days (which WILL happen with any kind of Windows).

_xxx_ said:
Well I'd go for some kind of linux if it shouldn't need a reboot every couple of days (which WILL happen with any kind of Windows).

Ehh... Windows servers have excellent uptimes. I've had servers on for many many months without restarts and even then, they didn't require a restart.

is windows 2000 the same as windows 2000 server? Which is better? NT or win2000 server? i don't wanna go with unix/linux

FX5900 said:
is windows 2000 the same as windows 2000 server? Which is better? NT or win2000 server? i don't wanna go with unix/linux

What exactly is it that you want to to? Use roaming profiles, where a user can log in to any computer and still get his own start menu, desktop, etc? Or do you want a file server, where people can access their files?

If you only want a file server, you can just use windows 2000/XP Pro, you don't need a server for that. Otherwise you'll need windows 2000 server or windows 2003 server, possibly NT server, but that's soo old so I wouldn't consider NT at all.

carpediem said:
What exactly is it that you want to to? Use roaming profiles, where a user can log in to any computer and still get his own start menu, desktop, etc? Or do you want a file server, where people can access their files?

If you only want a file server, you can just use windows 2000/XP Pro, you don't need a server for that. Otherwise you'll need windows 2000 server or windows 2003 server, possibly NT server, but that's soo old so I wouldn't consider NT at all.

actually i want both a file server and a web server......

If you want a private webserver, IIS (included with XP Pro) is fine. If it has to be a public one, Linux is much better.

And making a Linux server is easy! Download a Knoppix iso, burn it, and boot your server with it. Assign a drive through the menu, enable Apache, and... you're done!

Easy, isn't it?

First, can I ask why you wish to host your website on your own home PC? It will tie up your bandwidth and make the machine unsuitable for much else; it won't be able to cope with any large demand; it will use up electricity; it will pose a potential security risk. With cheap hosting readily available I just can't really see why you would want to, unless it's for a private site?

Regarding the question: Both XP and Win2K will be able to do what you require. Both come with IIS web-server, though be aware that XP's version (5.1) will only be able to host one website at once (whereas Win2K and 2003) allow multiple sites. Personally, though, I would favour using Apache (unless you need to run .asp or .aspx files) as it's more flexible and rugged.

FX5900 said:
If you are going to run a server OS, go ahead and get windows 2003 server.
IIS 6 is a truly enterprise class wbeserver, and is very rugged and secure.
Don't listen to the zealots preaching about uptime -
The only time I have downtime is when I have to reboot after a patch, which is just as often as I need to do it for Solaris 9: Not bloody often.

If you can't afford server OS, then windows XP will work just fine.
The version of IIS included is acceptable.
I run apache on windows, apache on soalris, apache on linux, IIS on 2000 Server, IIS on 2003 server, and i used to run IIS on NT4.
I've got a good basis for comparison, and which one I'd pick to use will almost always come down to what it will be doing - and excepting IIS on NT4, I can use any of them to do just about anything (excluding asp on the *nix stuff).

So, for your purposes, if you don't have a copy of win2003 Server, or windows 2000 server, just use the included IIS in windows XP.

If you need help, feel free to PM me.

DiGuru said:
If you want a private webserver, IIS (included with XP Pro) is fine. If it has to be a public one, Linux is much better.

And making a Linux server is easy! Download a Knoppix iso, burn it, and boot your server with it. Assign a drive through the menu, enable Apache, and... you're done!

Easy, isn't it?
Then have a power outage, a forced reboot, and...you get to reset your complicated setup!
Easy - not really.

for a server, knoppix is a toy, imo.

DiGuru said:

Easy, isn't it?

.....gonna try it...never used linux b4...

Last edited by a moderator:
Althornin said:
If you are going to run a server OS, go ahead and get windows 2003 server.
IIS 6 is a truly enterprise class wbeserver, and is very rugged and secure.
Don't listen to the zealots preaching about uptime -
The only time I have downtime is when I have to reboot after a patch, which is just as often as I need to do it for Solaris 9: Not bloody often.

If you can't afford server OS, then windows XP will work just fine.
The version of IIS included is acceptable.
I run apache on windows, apache on soalris, apache on linux, IIS on 2000 Server, IIS on 2003 server, and i used to run IIS on NT4.
I've got a good basis for comparison, and which one I'd pick to use will almost always come down to what it will be doing - and excepting IIS on NT4, I can use any of them to do just about anything (excluding asp on the *nix stuff).

So, for your purposes, if you don't have a copy of win2003 Server, or windows 2000 server, just use the included IIS in windows XP.

If you need help, feel free to PM me.

cool.....my server will be running on a diff comp...It will not be use for nothing else... I have my own gaming machines... (3 of them) :D :) Gonna try it when I get my new comp setup...

Can u run/execute PHP, perl and other language scripts besides asp?

thanks..and i'll PM u if i have any problems or questions..

Last edited by a moderator:
Diplo said:
First, can I ask why you wish to host your website on your own home PC? It will tie up your bandwidth and make the machine unsuitable for much else; it won't be able to cope with any large demand; it will use up electricity; it will pose a potential security risk. With cheap hosting readily available I just can't really see why you would want to, unless it's for a private site?

Regarding the question: Both XP and Win2K will be able to do what you require. Both come with IIS web-server, though be aware that XP's version (5.1) will only be able to host one website at once (whereas Win2K and 2003) allow multiple sites. Personally, though, I would favour using Apache (unless you need to run .asp or .aspx files) as it's more flexible and rugged.

not a public one..just a private one...so i can access my personal files when away from home...

FX5900 said:
not a public one..just a private one...so i can access my personal files when away from home...

If you just want a file server, try HFS. Open source and 1 exe file to start. Doesn't requite installation either and has a user system, so you can require people to log on in order to see files. You can also upload stuff to it, if needed... Just drag the files/folders you want to share into the program window. It's the program I used to share the file to you too.

Get Beta 23 from the rejetto forum (author of HFS)

http://www.rejetto.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1480

carpediem said:
If you just want a file server, try HFS. Open source and 1 exe file to start. Doesn't requite installation either and has a user system, so you can require people to log on in order to see files. You can also upload stuff to it, if needed... Just drag the files/folders you want to share into the program window. It's the program I used to share the file to you too.

Get Beta 23 from the rejetto forum (author of HFS)

http://www.rejetto.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1480

cool..gonna give it a shot. thanks!

for a home web server, how to do u CHMOD the files? I know how to do it using an FTP program when connected to my web server hosted somewhere else, but not on my own...

thanks!

FX5900 said:
for a home web server, how to do u CHMOD the files? I know how to do it using an FTP program when connected to my web server hosted somewhere else, but not on my own...

thanks!

Why do you need to CHMOD a file/folder?

Back