Crossfire Board (RDX200 CF-DR) from DFI

lopri

Regular
Exclusive on Anandtech next Monday.
It does DDR400@1T with 4 sticks of DIMM. (Now you poor boys can add 2 more 512MB sticks without worrying about losing your precious timing!)

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26766

Edit: Weird CPU socket location (for cooling, of course), and the chipset fan looks like it might interfere with a huge video card?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not buying a motherboard with a fan on it. I wish more board manufacturers would cater for the silent crowd rather than the OC crowd.

OT: Doesn't this belong in the hardware forum?

It's not that it gets in the way, it's the noise. Well, I suppose this could be the quietest chipset fan in history, but most of these fans are well above the noise floor in a quiet machine, and worse, smaller fans produce higher frequency (read: more annoying) noise.

That's why I'm still using NForce 3.

While I could stand the sub-par USB performance of the ATI southbridge, the lack of SATA-2 is a major disappointment (especially considering the price - $239 on Newegg). :(

EasyRaider said:
I'm not buying a motherboard with a fan on it. I wish more board manufacturers would cater for the silent crowd rather than the OC crowd.
:oops:

confused.gif

scratchhead.gif

I swear I know what all the words you use mean, but when you put them in the order you did it just doesn't make any sense to me!!! :???:

digitalwanderer said:
I swear I know what all the words you use mean, but when you put them in the order you did it just doesn't make any sense to me!!! :???:

I think he means he'd rather have less speed/features but a quieter system. Why anyone would want that on a crossfire mobo is of course a good question for ER to answer.

Yeah, I know. DFI's Lanparty UT are hardcore OCing boards and nothing else. Why you would expect quiet out of them is beyond me. Then again, single stage phase change and -40C temps really arn't that loud at all, lol.

So, what does it offer over the DFI nforce4 SLI mobo that warrant the $100 premium?

Piss-poor USB performance together with no SATA-2 is already a definite turn off for me.

Can anyone comment on the driver quality yet, in both win and linux?

Now that I've read the review, I must say I'm slightly disappointed. Nothing to distinguish it from NF4 from the performance point of view. If anything, the low performance of USB is really a let-down. The only saving grace is that command rate 1T is possible with 4 sticks of DIMM, but then again you're stuck at stock speed.

Also even this small feat might not be a general case with the Crossfire chipset, but more like a special implement of DFI. I don't expect many other companies board will follow the suit. And, at this point of the game, if someone wants 2G of RAM s/he will be better off with 2 sticks of 1G DIMM. (Unless upgrading from 2x512, of course)

So far, it seems like the Crossfire board will be restricted as a choice for people who *actually* want to use 2 ATI graphics cards.

lop

Here in OZ cheapest online prices I can find are:
$310.00 DFI LANPARTY UT RDX200 Crossfire CF-DR 939
$114.00 ASRock 939Dual-SATA2
$195.00 DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D 939

SATA2 doesn't really bother me too much, USB performance won't be too noticeable - I transfer files off a laptop HD caddy but don't think there will be too much off a difference.
Passive cooling for the ASRock

Using my wrinkled 9800SE(pro) AGP on a x2 is Gold though!
Wish both the Uli and Ati boards had the ULi 1575 SB like you said Mize, then it would be a no brainer for me: Asrock for this round.

It has absolutely perfect memory trace routing allowing the full range of DRAM drive strengths to be applied. This gets rid of the so-called cold bug, caused by the DRAM drive strength increasing as the CPU becomes cold (you set an excessively low setting to begin with). It also allows running 4 DIMMs at 1T command rate, a feat previously reserved for registered RAM. Also, the voltage regulation is significantly improved, and the 5v vDimm delivery system is much safer and reliable (the old system damages some types of RAM).

Then again all this will be available for the NF4 with the upcoming expert edition.

Back