Paramount releases first PSP movie website

This is very very interesting.
Paramount Pictures Interactive Marketing has built the first movie web site specifically for PlayStation Portable. PSP users who have downloaded the PSP 2.0 operating system will be able to surf wirelessly to access the PSP-exclusive site for “Get Rich or Die Tryin’,†starring Curtis “50 Cent†Jackson and directed by six-time Academy Award nominee Jim Sheridan
Built specifically to take advantage of PSP’s aspect ratio and surfing capabilities, the site will contain trailers, wallpapers, webisodes, and photos that PSP users can download directly to their PSP devices. Commenting on the announcement, Powell said, “We’re thrilled to have built the first movie-related PSP-specific site — it’s just one example of how we’re always looking for new ways to reach online moviegoers. As we move into a mobile world, it’s important to be aware of the ways advances in technology affect information access. In addition, ‘Get Rich or Die Tryin†is a perfect match for the first PSP-exclusive movie site; the PSP is huge in the hip-hop community and 50’s fans are avid PSP users.â€
Prior to the “Get Rich or Die Tryin’†PSP site, PSP users who wanted to play movie trailers would first download the trailer to their desktops, then transfer the file to the handheld device. With the release of PSP’s OS 2.0, users can now browse the internet with the device, downloading information directly to the PSP. With the introduction of http://www.50psp.com, Paramount Pictures introduces the first film site designed specifically for the device. Sony has sold upwards of six million PSP units worldwide with an expected total unit sales of 12 million by the end of 2005, a rate which has already far outpaced the introduction of the iPod. A recent report from Sony also indicated that an anticipated $250 million of UMD movies will be sold by year- end, making the PSP the fastest growing multi-media platform ever, beating the first year numbers during the launch of both the iPod and the DVD player combined.
Curtis “50 Cent†Jackson, one of the biggest and most popular stars in hip-hop, is the charismatic driving force behind “Get Rich or Die Tryin’,†a hard-hitting drama directed by six-time Oscar nominee Jim Sheridan about an orphaned street kid who makes his mark in the drug trade but finally dares to leave the violence behind and become the rap artist he was meant to be.

Didn't know that the PSP has taken off faster than the ipod did when it first started out. :oops:
Download it now. Its pretty cool. The concept is great. I wish Sony can capitalize on this downloading movies from the internet idea. Download it and let me know what you think.

mckmas8808 said:
This is very very interesting.

Didn't know that the PSP has taken off faster than the ipod did when it first started out. :oops:
Download it now. Its pretty cool. The concept is great. I wish Sony can capitalize on this downloading movies from the internet idea. Download it and let me know what you think.

Not that surprising considering the differences in price points (first ipod was $500?) for the products to which they are comparing psp.

AlphaWolf said:
Not that surprising considering the differences in price points (first ipod was $500?) for the products to which they are comparing psp.

Oh didn't know that. I read somewhere that the ipod so far has sold like over 25 million. Is that per year or lifetime?

mckmas8808 said:
Oh didn't know that. I read somewhere that the ipod so far has sold like over 25 million. Is that per year or lifetime?

Lifetime most likely, sales were fairly slow at the start. I think they sold a couple million the first year, but they sold almost 5 million in the first quarter of this year (listed as a >500% increase). I don't know how well the cheaper units have been selling since their introduction.

Does anyone know if the new firmware adds support for WPA-PSK network protection for the PSP?

My network has a WPA-PSK code and i'd hate to have to change that to WEP just so i can connect a PSP.

Support for WPA-PSK (TKIP) was already added in 2.0
2.5 adds to that with a WPA-PSK (AES)

So basically, whatever security you have in your home wireless, you should be able connect to it with PSP without modifying the settings.

I used to connect to my WiFi with WPA-PSK (TKIP), but lowered it to WEP because I Wipeout Pure game doesn't support WPA.

Last edited by a moderator:
rabidrabbit said:
Support for WPA-PSK (TKIP) was already added in 2.0
2.5 adds to that with a WPA-PSK (AES)

So basically, whatever security you have in your home wireless, you should be able connect to it with PSP without modifying the settings.

I used to connect to my WiFi with WPA-PSK (TKIP), but lowered it to WEP because I Wipeout Pure game doesn't support WPA.

Oh right COOL. Another reason to buy one. When bloody games that interest me come out for it!

london-boy said:
Oh right COOL. Another reason to buy one. When bloody games that interest me come out for it!

You aight got long to wait. You'll be dying for one by the end of the year. New releases are looking great. this holiday season.

Back